D&D General Adventurers Go Left?

Adventurers Go Left?

• Turn left to victory

Votes: 15 50.0%
  • Right you are. Go right.

Votes: 9 30.0%
  • I did not sign up for this. Turn back.

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Destroy the stone in front of you. Go forwards.

Votes: 4 13.3%

Nagol

Unimportant
Barring some sort of pressure of time (or resources, or otherwise), the optimum route to clear out the dungeon is to be nice and systematic. So always go left.

(Of course, always go right would work just as well, as long as whatever is chosen is done consistently. But I've always done "go left", so... Oh, and @Seramus is right about the handedness issue.)

And of course, as a DM, it is of course incumbent on me to make sure that such systematic approaches aren't optimal - either because of traps designed to move the party against their will, invisible teleporters or other weirdness, or simply by applying one of those pressures I mentioned at the outset.

Always go X is a depth-first search. It's primary advantage is swapping hands will get you out eventually. I prefer breadth-first searches when not facing pressure: there's less chance something is going to close my escape route.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
My current players are fond of implementing the right hand rule in situations like this, which I think is ridiculous because it all but guarantees you'll traverse the entire maze, and it doesn't actually guarantee you'll traverse a dungeon.

But I have for some time been having the growing feeling that these sorts of left/right choices are probably the most boring sorts of choices that you can present a party.
When there’s nothing to differentiate the options, yes, they are. Describe the sound of snarling coming from one direction, and the other as having a thick layer of dust undisturbed for months if not years, and you’ve got an interesting decision.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
Other way around, no? If you're right-handed then going clockwise puts your dominant hand to the interior, giving you less room.
Heh, just occurred to me maybe we need to define the stair a bit better, first. I'm imagining open stairs climbing the inside walls of the tower, such that you have tge exterior wall to you left as you descend. If you have a central stair, or exterior stair, I see your point.

Shiroiken

Legend
Heh, just occurred to me maybe we need to define the stair a bit better, first. I'm imagining open stairs climbing the inside walls of the tower, such that you have tge exterior wall to you left as you descend. If you have a central stair, or exterior stair, I see your point.
Castle towers usually had a central pillar around which the stairs were attached, so they weren't open in the center. If you stayed near the center (minimizing horizontal distance), the column would be in your way, so you'd have to stay closer to the outside wall to get a good swing. Coming down, you could stay closer to the column, and your swing could go all the way across the outside down the inside near the column, allowing a full range of motion. Of course, this all assumes a sword or other swinging weapon; a spear or dagger would benefit by being near the center column, as it wouldn't interfere with the attack much.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
Castle towers usually had a central pillar around which the stairs were attached, so they weren't open in the center. If you stayed near the center (minimizing horizontal distance), the column would be in your way, so you'd have to stay closer to the outside wall to get a good swing. Coming down, you could stay closer to the column, and your swing could go all the way across the outside down the inside near the column, allowing a full range of motion. Of course, this all assumes a sword or other swinging weapon; a spear or dagger would benefit by being near the center column, as it wouldn't interfere with the attack much.
That applies to interior spiral stairs, which aren't anywhere near universal, or even necessarily "usually."

Remove ads