D&D General Adventurers Go Left?

Adventurers Go Left?

• Turn left to victory

Votes: 15 50.0%
  • Right you are. Go right.

Votes: 9 30.0%
  • I did not sign up for this. Turn back.

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Destroy the stone in front of you. Go forwards.

Votes: 4 13.3%

Richards

Legend
I created a dungeon once for my home campaign that was based on this concept. It was called the Magekiller, created by a guy named Arrogan who claimed he'd never been wrong in his life. He built it as a place to store his treasure, then crafted a bunch of killer traps in other rooms to slay anybody who tried entering. But his "never wrong" concept turned into "always right" which was the way to safely navigate his dungeon: whenever given an option, always go right. (Of course, my PCs started out doing just that but failed to find the hidden passageway leading down to the lower level from the first room to the right and ended checking out all of the other trap-filled rooms on the first floor as a result....)

Johnathan

Of course, this all assumes a sword or other swinging weapon; a spear or dagger would benefit by being near the center column, as it wouldn't interfere with the attack much.
If you use a shield on your left, it is closer to the danger if you turn left. If your shield was on the outside, you could bring it around but then it would block your weapon while the other guy could bring his shield up AND maneuver his weapon.

Not everyone built their castles like that, but it’s a defense principal that any fantasy dungeon designer probably keeps in mind (if said designer is humanoid).

Remove ads