Adventures in Middle-earth (d20)

The Trailer

The trailer was good. You should be able to find it online, albeit in extremely low quality.

As for how often we play, about once every other week, but since we all meet online, scheduling is sometimes erratic. However, we've been playing for a few weeks now, so I have some catching up to do yet before we have to be slaves to the playing schedule! :)

Last edited:

At the Prancing Pony

At the Prancing Pony, Session 1 part 2

Following their brief encounter in the woods, Hannar and Duiniel head into Bree. Duiniel explains that she doesn't have any pressing engagements to attend to, but she found the meeting she just witnessed extremely suspicious. She doesn't believe that a man of Bree and a man that is -- at best -- part of a hostile section of Rhudaur, and at worst directly a man of Angmar itself, could spell anything good. Hannar agrees with this assessment and suggests that she report the issue to the folks he will be meeting in Bree: an agent of the King, and an agent of Lord Telemnar, a March-lord with estates on the north-east border of Arthedain.

When they arrive in Bree, it is near sundown, and they head to the Inn for supper (and to arrange for lodgings for Duiniel.) The Prancing Pony (**the original: in my chronology this Inn will burn down in later years to be replaced by the Prancing Pony of Lord of the Rings fame.**) has a full house tonight, but a room is found, and a small table that is unoccupied is spied and quickly claimed in the common room. There are plenty of both men and hobbits about, so Hannar is unable to recognize his contacts. Since he is the only dwarf (save a small group of dwarves travelling together, which couldn't be mistaken for him) he hopes that his contacts will approach him.

Before too much time passes, that is exactly what happens. Halbarad and Fosco approach the table, and are introduced to Hannar and Duiniel. They tell their story of what happened, and Duiniel asks for their assistance in locating more information on the man she saw. Fosco and Halbarad, on the other hand, are more caught up in their own errand to deliver the secret message to Falathar in Rhudaur, which seems like a big enough task at this point. They argue about what course of action to take far into the evening, but finally decide that after retiring, they will wake early in the morning, grab a quick breakfast, and the canny woodsman will go investigate the site of the "battle" Hannar and Duiniel had earlier. If there are no further clues to be found there, they are not sure what else they could do anyway, as finding a man who wishes to remain hidden in a town as substantial as Bree would be quite a challenge (**keep in mind that this is before the Great Plague and other catastrophes that drastically reduced the population of Eriador before the time of the Lord of the Rings. In this time frame, Bree is significantly larger than it was when Frodo and Co. visited it.**)

Unfortunately, they are surprised to find, the next morning, that the body of the man that Hannar dropped is gone. Halbarad is unable to find any trace of which way the man may have gone (**due to lower checks than I would have hoped for: as the DM, I had to change the plan here somewhat, as will be seen in future installments! :)**) so the little band collectively shrugs their shoulders and leaves. They have decided to allow Duiniel to travel with them, as she comes recommended (with a letter and everything!) by Elrond himself, and as citizens of Arthedain, that still counts for quite a lot in their esteem.

Without further ado, they take the East-West road east and head for the border.

To be continued...

Last edited:

A little digression about the campaign again. It seemed always that mail was the most advanced armor used commonly in Middle-earth (although the Southron soldier Sam sees appears to be wearing a scale corslet) and even then that wasn't really common except amongst professional soldiers. The Wheel of Time rules approximate that very well, as each class gets a Defense (AC) bonus that does not stack with the armor bonus to AC. The Armsman is the exception: at 3rd level he gets "Armor Compatability, and instead of taking the better of his Defense or Armor bonus, he can stack them (but his Defense progression is the worst of the classes...)

For this campaign, I used armor from the PHB, but nothing further on the table than chain mail could be used by Western soldiers (scale mail as an odd "foreign" armor could be available to Southrons or Easterlings.) However, scale cuirasses, or chain cuirasses over leather armor could be worn in addition to other armor, as described in Oriental Adventures. Wearing one automatically increased the armor "class" (from light to medium, or medium to heavy) and I whipped up a quick chart of armor check penalties and AC bonus based on wearing leather or metal scale cuirasses, or chain cuirasses (which couldn't be worn over chain mail or a chain shirt.)

Also, to get the flavor better, I eliminated some of the more exotic weapons and polearms, but otherwise left equipment more or less as is.

Last edited:

Weathertop, Session 2 part 1

Weathertop, session 2 part 1

After quite some uneventful time on the road, the four reach a point where the large hill, topped with a tower is visible in the distance. Amon Sûl. Otherwise known as Weathertop. The tower itself is bright and strong, but as they near it, they see that the guard on the road is not. Two somewhat slovenly soldiers with ill-fitting uniforms sit beside a gatehouse near the road. Halbarad decides (against the better wisdom of the hobbit) to tell the guards the truth when they ask their business: they are delivering a message from a lord of Arthedain to his kinsman, a lord in Rhudaur. The guards don't challenge them beyond this, but wave them on and with that, and a few steps more, the little group enters the wildlands of Rhudaur.

At this point, Duiniel makes a startling and disturbing discovery. Glancing back at the guardhouse, she sees a familiar face peeking through a window, although it is almost immediately withdrawn: the Breelander who attacked her earlier! She whispers her discovery to Hannar and the others, and urges that they go back and demand an explanation. Halbarad counters that they don't really want to tangle with the guards at the gate. When Duiniel says "there's only two of them," he puts his foot down on principle.

However, the group thinks that something is definately "fishy" about the whole situation, and they decide some kind of investigation is in order. It is now mid-afternoon, so Fosco proposes they go on and establish a camp a league or so down the road, then he and Halbarad can sneak back and investigate the guardhouse after dark, and see if the Breelander emerges. Hannar suggests that Fosco establish a lookout position and not go down-road at all: Halbarad can join him in a few hours after camp is set up.

Finally, the whole group agrees to this, and so Duiniel and Hannar are left, after a few hours, at their new camp in a copse under a large tree about five minutes walk from the road, while Halbarad travels off-road back towards the gatehouse.

When he reaches it, the sun is nearly set. He finds Fosco hiding nearby with a somewhat grim expression. Fosco motions for him to follow him, and not far from the road, they find the murdered bodies, stripped of their clothes, of two Dunedain. After some whispered discussion (**during which time Fosco's player had been able to put two and two together from the earlier clues! :) **) they decide that these must be the real guards, and the slovenly folks they saw at the gatehouse earlier in the day must be imposters. The sneak back towards the gatehouse, and after waiting only a few minutes, they hear horse hooves coming from the east. To their surprise, instead of the faux guards, the Breelander comes out to greet the rider. Even more surprisingly, the man who steps off the horse to talk with him in hushed tones has an unsightly, almost goblin-like face. (** Although Saruman developed the "man-orcs" much later in the War of the Ring, it says in Morgoth's Ring in "Myths Transformed" that Saruman had probably only rediscovered a secret that Sauron (who bred the orcs initially) had already known. Therefore, because I like the Uruk-hai and half-orcs, I decided that in Angmar, orc/men crosses did exist, and they were merely mostly killed and then bred out of the population in the years after the fall of Angmar. A bit of a departure from the official history, but hardly earth-shattering, IMO**) Fosco suggests that they hurry back to Bree and send a messenger to the king's reeve in that part. Halbarad says that as he is an agent of the king (sorta) he is qualified to handle this problem. Fosco isn't so sure, but they both agree that they need to head back and recruit the help of the other two, at least, before they make any attempt to reclaim Weathertop for the king.

Meanwhile, (**because this game was online, it was easy to separate the players and keep simultaneous story-arcs going. One of the few advantages to playing online, IMO**) Duiniel decided to keep a watch near the road, and finds something odd herself (she did see the rider, but just thought him another traveller.) However, she does manage to notice a company of men moving off the road. She cautiously approaches one of them moving in a scout-vangard position, and is horrified to discover that he is an orc! She manages to sneak up behind him and attack him, hurting him badly. However, he manages to knock her back a bit and Duiniel has a close, albeit quiet (for neither one of them wanted to be heard (**I had both of them make move silently checks every round to avoid attracting either more orcs or Hannar**) fight. With few Vitality points left, Duiniel is able to dispatch this, her first ever, orc. She rushes back to camp, and finds the fire covered with dirt and two orc bodies on the ground. Hannar comes out of the woods as she approaches (**his fight was relatively boring: he rolled high and killed both his orcs easily.**)

Duiniel and Hannar decide then that they better rush back and find Halbarad and Fosco. They are all in danger of being caught by the marauding orc company, and although Hannar and Duiniel don't know it, they are caught between the imposters at the gatehouse and the approaching orcs.

To be continued...

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Very nice job here. I'm glad the conversion material is being put to such good use.

Regarding spellcasters, as I assert over at the ME d20 site, multiclassing spellcasters seems to be a good, easy fix. See my write-up of Gandalf the Grey at the conversion site for an example of what I mean.

Last edited:

The more I think about it, and hear about it, the more I think the Sovereign Stone magic system is a great Middle-earth system. However, $30 for the main book and $30 for the magic book. From what I hear, you really do need them both. Ouch!:(

Another quick campaign note, since we're seeing orcs for the first time. In general, I treat the orcs as NPCs, not monsters. For ease, I make grunts conform to the NPC tables in the DMG, with an overlay as detailed on pages 57-58. The various types of orcs I have are as follows:
  • Regular goblin: Similar to goblin in DMG: -2 Str, +2 Dex, +2 Con, -2 Cha, Small, light sensitivity.
  • Regular orc: (I know, same thing, but this is a size difference really): +2 Dex, +2 Con, -2 Cha, light sensitivity.
  • Uruk-hai: +2 Str, +2 Con, -2 Cha

Remove ads