Adventures in Middle-earth (d20)

Journey to the Coldfells, Session 3 part 1

Journey to the Coldfells, Session 3 part 1

It took a few days for the group to recover, but before long they were all ready to travel again. They considered themselves frankly kind of lucky to have not lost any members of the group to the orcs. The garrison at the tower was grateful for their assistance, and outfitted them with any gear that they needed (**which wasn't much: they were reasonably well equipped.**) However, on a day as autumn was waning, the fall colors had faded to brown and most leaves were on the road and forest floor instead of on the trees, the began their journey once again towards the estates of the minor lord who lived in the forbidding Coldfells, the border region north of Rivendell and near the wild hill-country and not far from the orc-holds at Mount Gram, and even the southern marches of Angmar itself. The thought chilled the characters, as when orc raids come as far south as the great road and as far west as Weathertop, then heading further into the north and east in a small group sounds particuarly foolhardy.

Nonetheless, as far as they knew, the immediate threat was over, the raid stymied, the Breelander gone and they should be able to travel unmolested towards Lord Falathar. Their first day on the road certainly seemed that way: the most exciting thing they saw was a pre-dawn light snowfall, which later melted away, and a few deer. However, as the trip advanced into the second and third days, they noticed a disturbing trend. The road had an unusual amount of traffic of dunedain moving west. They questioned a few, and the answers were always similar: the lands were becoming too dark and too dangerous. Uncouth hill-men, suspected of being in league with Angmar were moving into the cold and windswept hills of Northern Rhudaur. Orcs and trolls were spotted with more and more frequency. Even the weather seemed to have deteriorated, according to some!

Then they had to leave the Great Road and take smaller paths and roads that wound through the tree-covered hills. Here there was less traffic, and what they did see was dark surly men who glared at them as they passed. They did not speak to many of them.

On the evening of the fourth day, snow flurries were whirling through the air as they sat up camp. Not just the weather and the travellers on the road had turned dreary, though: the only animals they had heard or seen all day were ravens and the distant cries of wolves. After darkness fell, the wolfish howling wasn't so distant anymore, and the four of them got fairly worried. Soon red eyes, glowing in the firelight, started ringing their campsite. All of them drew their weapons, and even a bowshot or two was loosed into the darkness towards the eyes. They retreated temporarily, but were soon back in greater numbers than before. They could hear large bodies rustling in the leaves outside the radius of the fire's light, and the barking and yapping of the wolf pack.

To be continued... sorry for the quick update: I wanted to put something up, but I'm about to head to a baseball game!

Last edited:

Broccli_Head

Explorer
ahhhh...wolves. A low level character's bane! In Middle-earth it seems wolves are especially mean/aligned with evil, just as eagles are exceptionally good. Am I wrong here?

Looking forward to more J.D.

Decado

First Post
Wolves do seem rather evil in Tolkien's world and in a few others. Perhaps thats why they are used as mounts for the goblins and orcs? I went and watched LOTR for the 5th time a couple of nights ago. The preview of The Two Towers was awesome, I cannot wait until Christmas. J.D., thanks for another installment. I really enjoyed it and can't wait to see what happens next.

Decado

Axeboy

First Post
Is it the link, or is it me?

I'm really enjoying the setting and story so far and am much in envy of those of you who can still go see the movie and the new trailer (it left our theaters last Friday, just as we were all getting free to go see it!).

I hate to clutter the thread with technical garbage, but for some reason, I can't read any of the stuff on the ME homepage. I'm using Netscape 4.78 up at school, and normally don't have any problem with it (I should be able to access it at home, so it's not that big a deal). Strangely enough, I can view the page source, but the field underneath the top banner image is completely blank. From the page source, I was able to find some of the links, but am unable to view any of them either (same problem; I can see the page source by using the View menu, but nothing but the banner image in the actual browser field). I'm not aware of any filters or the like on the university system here, so I think we can rule that out. Suggestions?

Hey, Axeboy, are you a Texas Tech student by any chance? My father just took a job there as the Dean of the Library. I haven't been out to see him yet since he moved though. I'm a Texas A&M guy myself.

Anway, if you can get the files, but they're just not showing for whatever reason, you could always save them and open them in Word or Frontpage or something like that. Not very pretty, but it'll work OK.

And for those who have been encouraging: I'm amazed to get three replies to that piddlin' little excuse for an update! So, I'll try to get cracking on a more substantial update here in the near future. As for an update of the baseball game, the Tigers (my local team now) lost yet again, making their record a whopping 2-12. :( Maybe I'll go back to watching the Astros. But the weather was beautiful and now I sport a nice tan! Not only that, the whole thing was free (courtesy of one of my salesmen, I should say) and we had great seats.

Axeboy

First Post
Indeed, I am (for a very short while, these days) a Tech Student; like I said, I have no trouble at home, so it must be something screwy with the servers.

I am enjoying the story hour and the side comments about how you're running it. Hint, hint.

Decado

First Post
I was browsing through a Starlog magazine the other day and there was an article on LOTR, which seemed to mostly focus on Legolas. On a couple of occasions the author reffered to Legolas as an assassin. I have always thought of Legolas as an extremely skilled fighter/archer, but never an assassin. My question, to those of you who are more familiar with Tolkien's work, in any of the books does it refer to Legolas as an assassin?

Just thought I would throw this out for discussion while we wait for J.D. to post.

Decado

Legolas an assassin? What has that guy been smoking?

In D&D terms, I'd call Legolas a multiclass: a few levels of Bard but mostly fighter with concentration on Archery feats, a high dex and cha. I'd also consider picking up one of those archery prestige classes for him: maybe Order of the Bow Initiate from Sword and Fist or the Deepwoods Sniper from Masters of the Wild.

Anyway, busy, busy week for me! I'll try and get an update out later this week, though. Right now it looks like my schedule may lighten up to allow me to type it out...

shilsen

Adventurer
Decado said:
I was browsing through a Starlog magazine the other day and there was an article on LOTR, which seemed to mostly focus on Legolas. On a couple of occasions the author reffered to Legolas as an assassin. I have always thought of Legolas as an extremely skilled fighter/archer, but never an assassin. My question, to those of you who are more familiar with Tolkien's work, in any of the books does it refer to Legolas as an assassin?

Just thought I would throw this out for discussion while we wait for J.D. to post.

Decado

Orlando Bloom, who plays Legolas in "The Fellowship of the Ring", mentioned in an interview (shortly before the movie came out) that Legolas was an assassin, and a number of the Tolkien purists on these boards had heart attacks :) Maybe this magazine article picked up from that comment.

Decado

First Post
I looked at the article again yesterday and it was in fact Orlando Bloom saying that Legolas was a bit of an assassin. Despite this false belief I do believe that Bloom did an excellent job portraying Legolas and he was one of my favorite characters in the movie. Actually I cannot think of a character that I did not like in the movie.

J.D. I am eager to see the next installment.

Decado

Remove ads