D&D 5E Adventures in Rokugan Arrives August 5th

Adventures in Rokugan is Edge Studios' official 5E version of Legend of the Five Rings, announced last year. Legend of the Five Rings is an East Asian inspired setting which goes all the way back to the 1990s, and was purchased by Fantasy Flight Games in 2018, before being moved over to FFG's sister company, Edge Studios in 2020 (which has taken over all the TTRPG operations from FFG...

Adventures in Rokugan is Edge Studios' official 5E version of Legend of the Five Rings, announced last year. Legend of the Five Rings is an East Asian inspired setting which goes all the way back to the 1990s, and was purchased by Fantasy Flight Games in 2018, before being moved over to FFG's sister company, Edge Studios in 2020 (which has taken over all the TTRPG operations from FFG, including Star Wars).

The 5E version includes new classes -- Shinobi, Pilgrim, Courtier, Ritualist, Bushi, Duelist, Acolyte -- and various new shapeshifting animal species.

It's coming out on August 5th and will cost $49.99.

Adventures in Rokugan brings the famous setting of Legend of the Five Rings to the ever-popular ruleset of the 5th Edition SRD. Players can explore this rich setting in a whole new light, and the familiar rules promise to engage an entirely new audience of roleplaying fans. Alongside a new focus on roleplaying activities such as dungeon delving and monster hunting, Adventures in Rokugan promises to provide something for all fans of Rokugan.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I agree that the rules are very cool. Some of the npc/monster stat blocks are very clever as you said.

I’m excited to see if they release a separate Rokugan bestiary. the 3.0e monster book was absolutely brilliant. But if it could be updated to modern production values with this level of ingenuity then it could be a tour de force.
Define "modern production values" in this context.

TheSword

Legend
Define "modern production values" in this context.
Art of the quality seen in the book so far. The previous Creatures of Rokugan book was black and white and while still very very good, it was only black and white.

The soft back paper quality was also a bit reduced in some of the 3e era books.

Last edited:

If this book is sold very well, and I guess this will happen, we shouldn't be surprised with a future Monster Compendium after this, and maybe with more PC races/lineages/heritages.

Weiley31

Legend
Can multi-attack/sneak attack/rage etc be used in duel?
This! and how would something like the Battle Master's Superiority Dice work along with it? I mean, since this book is going full hog with telling you multiclass combos in the quick builds, a Duelist/Shinobi class would find themselves in a duel with Danger Dice, Duelist subclass features AND the Shinobi's SRD Sneak Attack variant: Merciless Strike. A Duelist/Bushi would have Focus Points, so on and so on.

Or is the Dueling subsystem STRICTLY restricted to the Duelist class since the entire name of the whole thing is almost pretty much on the tin there.

Last edited:

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
One of the things of note is that the monsters/villains section needs another passover. Plenty of mistakes in regard to ability bonuses or incorrect proficiency bonus that need fixing. I mean, it isn't the end of the world and you could easily use any of the monsters with the bonuses they've been assigned, but it seems pretty glaring when looking through them all and seeing multiple errors in the stat blocks.

Remove ads

Remove ads