D&D 5E Adventures in Rokugan Arrives August 5th

Adventures in Rokugan is Edge Studios' official 5E version of Legend of the Five Rings, announced last year. Legend of the Five Rings is an East Asian inspired setting which goes all the way back to the 1990s, and was purchased by Fantasy Flight Games in 2018, before being moved over to FFG's sister company, Edge Studios in 2020 (which has taken over all the TTRPG operations from FFG, including Star Wars).

The 5E version includes new classes -- Shinobi, Pilgrim, Courtier, Ritualist, Bushi, Duelist, Acolyte -- and various new shapeshifting animal species.

It's coming out on August 5th and will cost $49.99.

Adventures in Rokugan brings the famous setting of Legend of the Five Rings to the ever-popular ruleset of the 5th Edition SRD. Players can explore this rich setting in a whole new light, and the familiar rules promise to engage an entirely new audience of roleplaying fans. Alongside a new focus on roleplaying activities such as dungeon delving and monster hunting, Adventures in Rokugan promises to provide something for all fans of Rokugan.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

Last edited:

TheSword

Legend
One question I had, was how do ritualists get their favour back. It seems they would run out of Magic very quickly in combat. 5 favour for a 9th level ritualist isn’t going to last very long.

I’ve seen they can pray/meditate/commune for 4 hours or sleep. But that’s not always practical. Is there something I’m missing?

Last edited:

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
Having just read over the book with my friend, I have to say, it's a really awesome take on the 5e rules, I like how Inspiration is built into the game a little bit (with even an Inspiration based class). The Pilgrim is a little wonky, but seems playable. The Bushi, Courtier, and Shinobi are pretty much all stars. Race design is cool, and even the "boring" Human has some Clan Feats they can take.

I'm excited to try this out, to say the least. But uh....the Ritualist. What? Like what?

If you were trying to make a game with a very conservative magic system because powerful magicians don't fit the feel of the setting, and you instead buffed the non-magicians, I guess?

But that's not really the flavor of Rokugan, where powerful magic can be invoked with some measure of commonality.

However even then, why anyone would want to be a Ritualist escapes me. They don't seem to have any niche that's unique except maybe the very expensive summoning.

Healing? Several classes can do this, and more efficiently. Ditto with removing status effects, or buffing allies and debuffing enemies. Instead you have this class that really doesn't contribute anything particularly cool more than a few times per day, since they have very limited favor, and limited ways to recharge it- abilities that can replenish it are once per long rest, replenishing it is long rest (or possibly meditating for 4 hours). Even the superior Artisan needs 3 hours and some gold to make their creations, some of which are better than others.

Your best deals really, other than the occasional free favor for casting under optimal conditions (or things like the Elementalist) give you free favor for spending favor, which results in giving you one big powerful spell....and then leaving you with an empty gas tank for the rest of the day.

It's a headscratcher, and I'm not even sure how to fix it without either finding some arbitrary multiplier for favor, or houseruling it to be a short rest class, which might have unforeseen consequences.

It's like taking the Sorcerer, removing their spell slots, and telling them to use their Sorcery points for everything.

And sure, you could maybe use and existing spellcasting class instead of the Ritualist, but it doesn't really have the Rokugan feel.

Overall, I love this book, but it really could use some more editing, subclasses for the PHB classes would have been nice to help them "fit" the setting better, and some of the balance is uneven, with great abilities coexisting with more "meh" abilities, really forcing you to think carefully before you take them (YMMV if that's a problem or not), but I'd still give it an A- if not for the Ritualist.

Our consensus, at least, is that you'd have to optimize the heck out of the class just to reach some kind of baseline competence, and that's strange.

Sure, some classes have low level issues (Pilgrims before they start getting bonus Hit Dice), but starting at level 3 seems to iron most of that out. I'm not sure that helps the Ritualist very much.

I'm hoping the game becomes popular enough to spark discussion, and maybe somewhere we'll get a little developer insight into why things are the way they are.

James Gasik

Supporter
Ok, while no official errata has been released, the pdf versions of the rulebook have a few changes:

First, if your class gives you a saving throw proficiency, and a subclass gives you the same proficiency, it's apparently meant to be double proficiency bonus for that save.

Second, the Ritualist is apparently missing a class feature called Channeling. I'm hoping this is another source of Favor.

TheSword

Legend
Ok, while no official errata has been released, the pdf versions of the rulebook have a few changes:

First, if your class gives you a saving throw proficiency, and a subclass gives you the same proficiency, it's apparently meant to be double proficiency bonus for that save.

Second, the Ritualist is apparently missing a class feature called Channeling. I'm hoping this is another source of Favor.
Yes, something to build favour across combat is needed.

I actually think invocations are awesome and flavoursome… you just need to be able to use more of them.

Also the book is now a Gold Seller on Drive Thru.

GreyLord

Legend
I finally got copies of it earlier this week. It's a decent 5e book. If you don't like what they've done with races as options in the new Mordekainen's...you are going to hate this book's races.

The classes are erratic in some ways varying between PHB levels and Tasha's levels.

I LOVE that it has new classes though, and that they cover a wide range of ideas on characters.

I haven't gotten into the actual lore material yet. I'm not sure if that's so relavent though, the last Rokugan stuff I read was in 3e/3.5, so it's been a while and the world has probably evolved tremendously since then.

James Gasik

Supporter
The lore is different than the current 5th Edition of Legend of the Five Rings, mostly to be more inclusive of things that don't really fit into Rokugan, and to promote a more easygoing style of play. Having to make choices between saving face and being a hero isn't a thing in 5e Adventures in Rokugan, nor is seppuku an accepted practice.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
The lore is different than the current 5th Edition of Legend of the Five Rings, mostly to be more inclusive of things that don't really fit into Rokugan, and to promote a more easygoing style of play. Having to make choices between saving face and being a hero isn't a thing in 5e Adventures in Rokugan, nor is seppuku an accepted practice.
Yeah, imo the mechanics are interesting, but the setting is very In Name Only.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases