D&D 5E Adventures in Rokugan Arrives August 5th

Adventures in Rokugan is Edge Studios' official 5E version of Legend of the Five Rings, announced last year. Legend of the Five Rings is an East Asian inspired setting which goes all the way back to the 1990s, and was purchased by Fantasy Flight Games in 2018, before being moved over to FFG's sister company, Edge Studios in 2020 (which has taken over all the TTRPG operations from FFG...

Adventures in Rokugan is Edge Studios' official 5E version of Legend of the Five Rings, announced last year. Legend of the Five Rings is an East Asian inspired setting which goes all the way back to the 1990s, and was purchased by Fantasy Flight Games in 2018, before being moved over to FFG's sister company, Edge Studios in 2020 (which has taken over all the TTRPG operations from FFG, including Star Wars).

The 5E version includes new classes -- Shinobi, Pilgrim, Courtier, Ritualist, Bushi, Duelist, Acolyte -- and various new shapeshifting animal species.

It's coming out on August 5th and will cost $49.99.

Adventures in Rokugan brings the famous setting of Legend of the Five Rings to the ever-popular ruleset of the 5th Edition SRD. Players can explore this rich setting in a whole new light, and the familiar rules promise to engage an entirely new audience of roleplaying fans. Alongside a new focus on roleplaying activities such as dungeon delving and monster hunting, Adventures in Rokugan promises to provide something for all fans of Rokugan.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
I gather they're thinking the market for 5e wants a more "oriental adventures, 5e Anime" style game, since they have a more "serious" product already in existence.

TheSword

Legend
So I’m planning a campaign set in Rokugan, which converts adventures from WFRP of all things. Funnily enough there are a lot of base similarities in themes (class, corruption, intrigue) and WFRP adventures often have less combat and more investigation - fitting the more social AIR system. Not to mention the great Chaos enemy of WFRP is very similar to the Shadow Lands in principle.

I’ve made most of notes on the first adventure and it fits remarkably well. I’ll probably create a thread to detail the conversion.

As far as I can see the setting would work very well with the changes suggested by One D&D as well. The Clan Feats seem to be suitable as first level feats. I can’t see anything there that looks too imbalanced.

Incidentally. I’m going house rule that a ritualist can use their bonus action in a round to recover a point of favour, until the actual fix for Ritualist comes out. Though it will be out I’m sure before we start playing at the start of next year.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
Is that combat only, TheSword? Or are you allowing each Ritualist to start combat at full Favor? I don't think that's broken, but I wanted to be sure about your intent.

TheSword

Legend
Is that combat only, TheSword? Or are you allowing each Ritualist to start combat at full Favor? I don't think that's broken, but I wanted to be sure about your intent.
Combat only. Though I can see where you’re going.

Alternatively by using their bonus action they could cast a ritual using one less favour (minimum 0) Which is the same effect as regaining a point each round but stops them splurging all their favour at the start of each combat and then getting it all back.

Channelling is missed out of the PDF @Weiley31 its going to be in the errata.

Is allowed to say "otaku" for the geek who loves manga and anime? I rebember there is even a magazine about manga with that title.

Let's rebember the publishers could be very interested in the potential market of the otaku community. The characters from manga and anime are very more popular than the classic superheroes from the golden age. I dare to say there are intentions to publish something linked with Far-East Asia to hook otakus.

And we shouldn't be surprised if Fantasy Flight Games/Edge Entertaiment publishes TTRPGs based in franchises owned by Embracer Group.

GreyLord

Legend
So, I know we have the D&D monsters in the MM, but there are very few foes listed in the Back of the Book.

Does anyone know if they are going to come out with more enemies or such in another book, or if there is a source I can get more Enemies for parties to battle than what is found in the back of the book?

TheSword

Legend
So, I know we have the D&D monsters in the MM, but there are very few foes listed in the Back of the Book.

Does anyone know if they are going to come out with more enemies or such in another book, or if there is a source I can get more Enemies for parties to battle than what is found in the back of the book?
Check out the book Creatures of Rokugan. Its an amazing bestiary of Rokugan creatures, but also Oni-Lords and other weird and wonderful stuff. Easily converted from 3e to 5e

GreyLord

Legend
Check out the book Creatures of Rokugan. Its an amazing bestiary of Rokugan creatures, but also Oni-Lords and other weird and wonderful stuff. Easily converted from 3e to 5e

Thanks, I have that book, but I am fabulously bad at conversion between 3e and 5e.

Stormonu

Legend

This book, Asian Monsters for 5E, might be worth a look at.

Remove ads

Remove ads