D&D 5E Adventures in the Forgotten Realms MtG set Planeswalkers confirmed.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
OK—a big thank you again to everyone who helped me figure out what I want to buy from this set earlier on in this thread. But now I have another question: do these things sell out like high-demand concert tickets as soon as they go on preorder? Because every site I visit to try to preorder the Commander decks says they're already sold out of their allocation . . .
It is a bad situation all around. I preordered and paid in full two decks from my FLGS on the first day, to date I haven't been able to get them. Part of the problem is that Wizards sent out cases of a single color, and my colors weren't among them. It's been almost a month since.

It is a bad situation all around. I preordered and paid in full two decks from my FLGS on the first day, to date I haven't been able to get them. Part of the problem is that Wizards sent out cases of a single color, and my colors weren't among them. It's been almost a month since.

Yeah Strixhaven's release has been badly botched. Some of the blame goes to the pandemic.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
Yeah Strixhaven's release has been badly botched. Some of the blame goes to the pandemic.
Not really, this is like the tenth or so release they have done during pandemic. (After Ikoria, M21, Jumpstart, Zendikar Rising, Commander Legends, Commander 21, Kaldheim, Modern Horizons and Time Spiral) Some products definitely got hit hard by it, (cof, cof Jumpstart), but this is a case where logistics and quality control changed for no apparent reason.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I finally watched the video and it contradicts the planeswalker MtG tweet. The tweet suggested the AFR planeswalker criteria is rule of cool, but in the video the head of MtG said it was their planeswalker had to have traveled between planes (which explains why trapped Tiamat is a creature instead of a Planeswalkers).

So which is it?
I don’t think the tweet was explaining what lore criteria was for which characters get to be Planeswalkers. It was clarifying that the characters who are getting Planeswalker cards are not considered to have a Planeswalker spark and will not be traveling to any of the canon M:tG planes. Planeswalker cards are just cool and a part of magic, so they didn’t want the set to not have any.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
Almost every single God and Demigod in the Forgotten Realms and high level spells casters can travel across planes.

And Lolth is far, far more powerful then Nicol Bolas. For one thing she has Avatars, she doesn't planeswalk between planes, she is physically present one a multiple planes/worlds at the same time, spirit present where ever her name is spoken or her holy symbol is present or an event linked to her domain occurs.

Heck if we use 2e/3.5e stats even a Demigoddess like Sharess could kill Nicol Bolas as powerful as he is, even in Old Premending form. Alot of folks don't know how much more powerful FR Gods are compared to Therosian, Amonkhet, Kaldheim, or Ravnican Gods, or even Planeswalkers including Oldwalkers.

Well, pre-mending Nicol Bolas was essentially a god. Probably still less powerful than Lolth, but pretty much as close to all-powerful that you can get in MtG. The whole premise of Bolas post-Mending is to regain that power and become the sole, all-powerful Planeswalker (and he gets close).

Kind of disappointed we didn't get stats for Bolas in the Ravnica book.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
From the artist's facebook:

View attachment 137205

I know nothing about the game, so I dont know if she's a great card or not, but she does look bad*ss enough to be a planeswalker!
I’ll admit that my Planeswalker evaluation skills are a little lacking (there’s a particularly notorious Planeswalker card called Oko, Thief of Crowns that ended up getting banned in almost every format for being too overpowered, which I predicted would be “ok” when I first saw it spoiled so... there’s my credentials).

That all said, she has the three criteria generally considered to be needed for a Planeswalker card to be competitively viable: she can generate card advantage, she can protect herself from attacks, and her starting loyalty is more than 3. She also costs less than 6, which is a big bonus, and getting +1 loyalty whenever a creature you control dies could be absolutely insane in the right deck.

What I’m saying is, she looks fantastic to the gal who thought one of the best Planeswalkers ever printed looked “ok.”

I’ll admit that my Planeswalker evaluation skills are a little lacking (there’s a particularly notorious Planeswalker card called Oko, Thief of Crowns that ended up getting banned in almost every format for being too overpowered, which I predicted would be “ok” when I first saw it spoiled so... there’s my credentials).

That all said, she has the three criteria generally considered to be needed for a Planeswalker card to be competitively viable: she can generate card advantage, she can protect herself from attacks, and her starting loyalty is more than 3. She also costs less than 6, which is a big bonus, and getting +1 loyalty whenever a creature you control dies could be absolutely insane in the right deck.

What I’m saying is, she looks fantastic to the gal who thought one of the best Planeswalkers ever printed looked “ok.”

Combine her with Kasmina, Enimatic Sage for more fun.

Remove ads