Adventures of Mr. Chips

whatisitgoodfor

First Post
Nope, sorry, MHD don't count for feats or attribute points.

Unless the MHD by themselves gave extra feats or attribute increases, then the creature only has feats as a character of level equal to its actual levels.

One question I'm not sure of, though, is whether or not awakened HD count as monster advancement HD.

Example: a 2HD wolf is awakened, making it a 4HD wolf. Normally, a 4HD wolf is Large instead of Medium.

So, is the awakened wolf now Large, or still Medium?

whatisitgoodfor

First Post
Well, we got to play last night, and the ECL0 critters were, in fact, overpowered.

The feats Mobility and Spring Attack almost completely off-set the penalties for being Tiny. The only thing I didn't toss at them that would have shifted the balance were grappling enemies.

The reduced carrying capacities were completely off-set by the reduced weights of basically all of their equipment. Those reduced weights also messed up the prices for special material items. A Darkwood Large Shield for a Tiny charachter only costs 17 gp. Mithral full-plate only cost about 5,000 gp.

Sparky effectively had no penalty for being a Sorceror (the same would go for a Wizard). He doesn't use much gear to begin with, so the reduced carrying capacity has no effect. Being Tiny increased his AC, which was a major benefit. Finally, the addition of a climb speed and 2 racial HD shift the balance well into his favor. The other major penalty is his reduced Str, which played almost no role since mid-level spellcasters never make physical attacks anyway.

Mr. Chips was slightly effected by the decreased carrying capacity, but getting cheap mithral armor and a Darkwood shield, along with the 1/10th weight almost completely overcame this. His reduced Str did severely hamper his damage dealing capabilities, but his 3 extra HD meant that he could last long enough to make up for it. Last but not least, his human movement rate and climb speed and 2 racial feats (weapon finesse and skill finesse) more than make up for his racial penalties.

Call-me-a-chipmunk-and-die was way overpowered. His insane Dex bonus more than made up for the penalty to Str. The only real effect was that his weapons base damage was a straight 3 instead of a variable number. With spring attack and boots of Springing and Striding, he was flanking left and right, dealing a lot of damage.

All in all, I would have to say that most of the Tiny animals are between an ECL1 and ECL2. I personally would be happy to play them at an ECL2.

Archer

First Post
Why is the squirrels base damage 3? Don't you mean -3 so when he sneak attacks he does 5d6-3 damage? Why was he more effective than your typical 9th level rogue? Whether a tiny creature can flank at all is good question. I guess you decided they could.

All the animals can cast spells as normal with no feats?

whatisitgoodfor

First Post
The squirrel has a normal attack of 1d4-4. Since the minimum damage that an attack can deal is 1, then his melee attacks deal 1 point of damage. He then has the +2 enhancement bonus for the dagger added in, and sneak attack, if applicable, is added later.

He was more effective than a typical 9th level rogue because of the extra 2 HD and his racial skill bonuses, along with another movement type.

Why wouldn't the animals be able to cast spells normally?

Saying that they would need a seperate feat to be able to do so would be like requiring all races except humans to take a feat before they can cast spells in their natural form.

I assume that since Dragons get to cast spells as a Sorceror and never take a feat like that then any other animal could also.

About the flanking, a creature is flanked whenever he has two opponents threatening him from opposite sides.
Assume that S is the Squirrel, C is Mr. Chips, and X's are the squares occupied by a 15X10 creature.
Code:
XCX    
XSX
In this situation, the critter meets the criteria for being flanked (as near as I can tell).
Here is the same situation zoomed in so that each letter is 2.5 feet instead of 5.
XXXCXX
XXXXXX
XXXXXX
XXSXXX
There it is (I think) quite apparent that the critter is flanked.

Remove ads