Adventuring vs Stay-at-home Druids

jaults

First Post
I have read, in more than one place, something about "stay-at-home" druids being able to controll 2x as many HD worth of animal companions as adventuring druids. Was this a pipe dream, or did I read this somewhere? And if this was not, in fact, a lack-of-sleep induced dream, where can I find this rule?

Thanks!
Jason

jaults

First Post
Thank you very much... I didn't even THINK of looking in the DMG...
On a related note, one of the groups I am DMing (don't worry Scott, not you guys) may soon be doing battle with a Druid/Fiendbinder (PrC from the most recent Dragon). One of the PrC's abilities is to apply the fiendish template to their animal companions... The Fiendish template causes the animal to have an Int of 3, which, I notice, is the lowest possible for a human. Do you think I should run the foe's animal companions any differently because of that?

Thanks!
Jason

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Run them differently? Only slightly. Int 3 lets them communicate (talk, if able) on a very basic level, but that's about it.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Do you think I should run the foe's animal companions any differently because of that?

Well...

I wouldn't think the difference between 2 and 3 would be all that noticeable, to an outside observer. The major difference for the druid is he can teach them more tricks...

-Hyp.

Remove ads