Pathfinder 2E Advice for a 5E DM moving to PF2E

JmanTheDM

Explorer
...speaking of which, Fall of Plaguestone has a reputation for being perhaps the worst balanced PF2 adventure difficulty-wise. I haven’t played it personally, but from what I’ve heard from those who have, you might want to consider giving the PCs an extra level (and using milestone leveling to keep them 1 level ahead) if you’re going to run the encounters as written.

I've heard that as well.

as a very quick counter to this. I ran Plaguestone for a group of 5. 16 sessions worth of play.
no TPK, no single player perma-death

and I increased the difficulty in some parts.

• I added 2 gnolls in the Hallod BBG end-fight to conclude chapter 1 (added difficulty to the encounter mistakenly)
  • did not do the bear fight ('cause the whole "walk around town didn't sit well with me)
  • had most orcs (I changed them to gnolls) in the upper/ground section of spites cradle fight all at once (like 4 encounter areas merged into one)
  • the blood ooze and the sculptor fought together (this was a very close battle), with the Sculptor able to mini-command the ooze

it was tough, nail biting even in some parts, but with 5 players even with some "mistaken" increased lethality like I did survivable. I'm not an optimizer GM.

cheers,

J.

dave2008

Legend
Question here. How does the Fighter have a str of 20 at lv 8? Do they have a stat increase item?
@FrozenNorth was talking about their 5e group (I believe) in response to a comment by The-Magic-Sword that: "... group a starting 14 in strength would not be acceptable in 5e."

It is very easy to have a maxed stat in 5e for a fighter at lvl 8.

@FrozenNorth was talking about their 5e group (I believe) in response to a comment by The-Magic-Sword that: "... group a starting 14 in strength would not be acceptable in 5e."

Ah. I guess it's passable, but typically that low a stat in your primary ability is asking to be outshone by someone else. Also depends on the class: it's easy for a Paladin to stay useful because their big selling point is largely in auras and nova-damage from smites. Their primary stat is meant to be Charisma, anyways. Meanwhile, a Fighter needs that high stat because they have limited ability to cause massive damage without it.

Actually, it's interesting that in the case of PF2, you could get away with a lower primary stat as a fighter because they start as Experts in their weaponry (a +4 instead of the +2 most classes start out with), they make up for it with pure skill. Of course, you do miss out a bit on the Fighter being an insane crit machine because they have that higher skill, but I suppose you'd make up for it by potentially having higher stats across the board.

Last edited:

Question here. How does the Fighter have a str of 20 at lv 8? Do they have a stat increase item?
Sorry, I was responding to The-Magic-Sword’s claim that in his D&D group, starting with a 14 in your main stat was unacceptable. YMMV: in my D&D group, the paladin not only started with a 14 in their main stat, but passed up 2 ASIs, and isn’t noticeably less competent than the fighter who had a 20 Str by level 6.

The paladin also has a 14 Cha.

Remove ads