Advice needed on starter adventure

The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh is a nice starter.

I converted the free Pathfinder adventure Hollow's Last Hope for my group when we first started out.

Last edited:

Li Shenron

Legend
So, what do y'all think? Any great ideas?

*U1 is great, but I think it works best as a low-level adventure after you already understand what D&D is. Maybe.

I also thought about U1 for our family game, but went with "Horror on the Hill", which is of course not "horror" at all. I only removed the Neanderthals because I found them somewhat offensive (i.e. the r* word). "Horror on the Hill" is very simple, it has practically no story at all, so it's all about exploration, but it has a range of classic monsters and a reasonable curve of difficulty as you approach the main destination and then delve into it.

akr71

Hero
Have you thought about the DM's Guild at all? Using what you have is great, but there are some great starter adventures on the DMGuild that are already 5e

I used M. T. Black's 'Triboar Trilogy' to introduce some new players to D&D or 5e.
First part was a small dungeon, the second an investigation type adventure and the third a fiendish haunted house.

I did something completely different, you can take this with a grain of salt, but let me explain...

I started my group of adventurers at level 0, meaning "plain old people" without a lick of adventuring skills. I took an old AD&D module called N4:Treasure Hunt which is an introductory module that will take them from level 0 to maybe 1st or 2nd.

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/17058/N4-Treasure-Hunt-1e?it=1

The module is unique in the fact that the actions made by each individual character will determine their alignment and class. A player that started the game thinking they may want to be a caster of some sort, found out that swinging a weapon and melee combat was more their cup of tea, and vice versa.

It worked really well for my party, and yes, I had a few people realize that the way they played their character was completely different than the character they thought about playing.

It's a different way of thinking about playing, but it also teaches the basics about your characters stats, basic combat (since they have no formal training), and survival as a normal villager. When they do hit level 1, (which is about 1/4 through the adventure), thats when the DM assigns them their class based off of their actions (from a chart given in the adventure, in which the DM notes the actions made by each individual.)

My group liked the idea, and accepted the class given to them, and we have been meeting every Friday since then!

If you like something truly different, I'd give this one a look!

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
Another vote for Sunless Citadel. Very easy to run and definitely fills the requirement of not demanding too much deep thought from players.

Also, the following Season 5 Tier One AL adventures string together to make a very solid level 1-4 campaign:

The Black Road DDAL5-02
Uninvited Guests DDAL5-03
Beneath the Fetid Chelimber DDAL5-06
Chelimber's Descent DDAL5-07
Giant Diplomacy DDAL5-10
Bad Business in Parnast DDAL5-12
Parnast Under Seige DDAL5-16

Remove ads