Advice on on-line gaming for a complete novice

dbm

Savage!
A headset of some kind is essential in my opinion. When you are using your laptop mic and speakers (or just about any ‘speaker phone’ setup) then it cuts the mic when other people are speaking (or if there is lots of ambient noise coming through) and this greatly stymies fluid conversation.

That is how I did it. I made a mock campaign and system that I never ran, but simply used to understand the interface. Its a great way to get into VTT.
I like that idea. I've been toying with finding an Online group, but have stalled out at the thought of the new (to me) technology.

Admittedly, another time commitment is big, too. With my family game, it might be irritating when we have a month between sessions, but being flexible around schedules is nice.

Hussar

Legend
I've been playing online for a long time, and working online for quite a while too, so, here's my 2 cents.

1. Headset/mic/sound - I have a Logitech C920 webcam, which is a bit expensive for a webcam, but the sound is excellent. I used to have a Microsoft HD 3000 Lifecam which, for 15 bucks, really can't be beat. Great sound. Mine was a bit old, so, I upgraded to full HD, that's why I have the Logitech one, but, for sound and if you do actually want video conferencing, you really can't beat that Microsoft one. Top notch.

2. Chat program - okay, here you're spoiled for choices. There's so many options. I personally switched over to Discord some years ago and have never looked back. Discord can do a lot. Doubles as our between game chat board, easy to upload and share images, and, from my perspective as the DM, adding in ambience music was a snap. I'm so looking forward to running a Candlekeep Mysteries adventure Shemshine with a little girl singing the song for real creepout factor. :D

3. VTT - again, the field has really changed over the years and, well, it's pretty much whatever you want to spend. You say that you've used maptools for your live games, so, presuming that you can port forward on your router, you can simply continue to use maptools. I like Maptools, it does what it advertises. And, for something like Pathfinder or D&D, it's pretty much got all the functionality of a pay table. The advantage of something like Fantasy Grounds or Roll 20 is that the modules come built in. Which can be a major time saver. But, if you're a Maptool user, switching over to something like Fantasy Grounds or Roll 20 probably isn't a huge hurdle.

aramis erak

Legend
Interesting information. Would I need a headset, or a microphone, or any other hardware, and if so, a suggestion of make & model would be appreciated.
For discord or skype, I find my cellphone's mic to be well more than adequate for voice, plus the added benefit of reducing typing noise vs built in on the computer.
If using a desktop, you'll want a decent mic.
Any time you're using full duplex voice mode, you really should have a comfortable set of headphones; whether or not the mic is is part of them, they prevent feedback.

I've found that 4 players +GM, each on speaker with voice-activated mic means losing half the session to feedback.
I use my motorolla G series as my mic, and a $10 set of plug-in headphones. Been doing it that way since I got an android smartphone, and used my android tablet before that, for a decade or so.

Hussar

Legend
I forgot about that, thank you @aramis erak. A number of my players and myself too for a while, have used a cellphone to handle the voice stuff. It is pretty easy. I have to admit though, since I use my webcam mic, I have never had any problems with feedback. I know a few of my players are on the same sort of setup, so, I wonder if webcams have just gotten a lot better in recent years.

I do know that the market on webcams has absolutely exploded in the last couple of years. Used to be, you'd see a couple of webcams for choices. Now, good grief, there's hundreds of the darn things.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I like that idea. I've been toying with finding an Online group, but have stalled out at the thought of the new (to me) technology.

Admittedly, another time commitment is big, too. With my family game, it might be irritating when we have a month between sessions, but being flexible around schedules is nice.
Yeap, there are tons of helpful youtube vids on learning various VTTs, but I learn best by diving in and doing!

Randomthoughts

Adventurer
Anyone have advice or input?
A lot of good advice so far. A few other comments:

- Plan on having a session to work on tech to make sure everyone has updated the VTT, has good connections and audio, etc. I wanted to start gaming right away for my first foray into online gaming, and half the session was focused just on tech issues.

- I use FG unity myself. But I would try the big ones and see what works for you and your group. One thing I’d look for is the level of support for the game systems you want to play.

- I tend to host smaller groups online. 4 has been the sweet spot for me (for something like D&D).

- online sessions also tend to be shorter. No more than 3 hours for me. OTOH, I play more often than live. Again, YMMV

Thomas Shey

Legend
Most other people have suggested anything I would (I'm a Maptool and either Discord or Skype GM), but one thing I'd mention is that it also matters how much heavy lifting you expect your VTT to do for you. All I want it for is to be able to display maps and push tokens around (and as a backup chat function if Discord or Skype takes a dump), so Maptool does fine for me. If you want something that's going to handle more of the mechanics you'd have to do more work with it, or find a pay VTT that's already got some of the functionality for the system you're using built it.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
A lot of good advice so far. A few other comments:

- Plan on having a session to work on tech to make sure everyone has updated the VTT, has good connections and audio, etc. I wanted to start gaming right away for my first foray into online gaming, and half the session was focused just on tech issues.
Thats a good one. My advice is to start with one of two options.

Option 1 Session zero and/or chargen
Everybody meets up and discusses the campaign and characters. Folks can putz around on the VTT and you can gauge everybody's familiarity with the system.

Option 2 pre-generated one shot
GM makes up a number of pre-gens and has everything ready to go. Players jump in and learn as they go. Start campaign during the next session now that everybody is acquainted with the VTT.

I was planning on using my PC, but I can use a laptop if needed. The PC means no camera on my end, but I'm OK with that.

I had a new Ipad, and an old Android phone.

So if I am getting it all down,
1) use a headphone to avoid feedback,
2) use Discord instead of the game service audio,
3) expect the first session to be needed to sort things out.

Group size not an issue, Zweihander is not likely to produce big groups.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases