• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Advice on playing a Kobold Fighter

Archimedes314

First Post
So, I got invited to join a friends adventure (Sunless Citadel) that he was running for some new players, and I opted to play a Kobold. I got stuck with the fighter role since they didn't have one. I got pretty good rolls, so my stats aren't as abysmal as they normally would be, but I'm having trouble filling the "tank" role. I've been grappled in several combats, and basically cannot use any of the special combat options because of my size. I'm looking at some of the stuff in Races of the Dragon because I've heard it helps balance out the Kobold, but I'm not really sure what to take. Also advice about small fighters in general would be helpful.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
The main advice would be....don't.

Are you literally a Kobold Fighter, or can you be any tanking class? It sounds like the character's already been made, which makes things more difficult unless the DM allows massive retraining...

What books are open to use? The more options, the better. I wouldn't know which sources in combination would be important for you till I knew what you can access. I will say that in general, Tome of Battle makes everything better for a melee class, ideally if you actually play as one of those melee classes.

Archimedes314

First Post
I know it's kind of a silly idea, but that's part of why I like it. He said he'd be pretty liberal about sources allowed since I am deliberately playing an underpowered character. I'm not sure if he'd let me play a class from ToB though, because it might utterly confuse the newbies. I have two levels of fighter (for the feats) and have a third level (yet to be decided).

LuckyBoneDice

First Post
As a Kobold Fighter, I suggest taking advantage of your size. Spend your bonus feats to be a mobile fighter. Take the Hit & Run variant, which with your smaller size, makes movement and hitting based on one hit wonders. Don't try and tank. You're small, so act like a heavily armored wasp (Mithril Fullplate and a small rapier)

stanleyindraven

First Post
don't tank it just worry about making a hard hitter and run. i suggest brute and brawn from netbook of feats and dodge. go all fighter and take weapon focus and specialization and buff feats for weapons.

Archimedes314

First Post
Okay, so right now I have Power Attack, Improved Initiative and Combat Reflexes. I'm looking into taking Dodge and eventually Sidestep from the Mini's Handbook (which lets me take a bonus five foot step whenever I get an AoO). I'm probably going to use a reach weapon to maximize the number of AoOs I get. I'm looking also for ways to make up for my disadvantages. In Races of the Dragon there is a feat called Kobold Endurance, basically a beefed up version of Endurance, but importantly it gives me a +4 on Strength and Constitution ability checks and grapple checks to escape a grapple. I want to know if anyone else thinks this feat is a good idea.

LuckyBoneDice

First Post
Okay, so right now I have Power Attack, Improved Initiative and Combat Reflexes. I'm looking into taking Dodge and eventually Sidestep from the Mini's Handbook (which lets me take a bonus five foot step whenever I get an AoO). I'm probably going to use a reach weapon to maximize the number of AoOs I get. I'm looking also for ways to make up for my disadvantages. In Races of the Dragon there is a feat called Kobold Endurance, basically a beefed up version of Endurance, but importantly it gives me a +4 on Strength and Constitution ability checks and grapple checks to escape a grapple. I want to know if anyone else thinks this feat is a good idea.
Drop power attack for Weapon Finesse. You have a Dex bonus, use it

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads