Advice Sought for New Player in My Campaign

KnowTheToe

First Post
It seems almost all options are covered already and that you are no closer to an answer.

Work with the player to find out his expectations for his character.

He wants to play a half orc, Fine. His half orc has dark olive skin, ugly mishapen teeth, skin covered in warts with tufts of hair coming from them, stinky breath, thick ropey black hair, thick yellowed nails, his hand joints are large and knarled, his voices has a heavy glutteral accent, etc... He is one ugly human looking creature (Andre the Giant could have been a half orc)

As far as the character traits he is looking for out of each class, find out which ones are most important. If he wants the spd of the barbarian, trade off an armor and weapon feat, swap a few of the core skills, give him an ECL.

This advice is only if you really want to go thru the trouble of meshing this character into your world and will not cause any trouble with the rest of the group.

Falcon

First Post
Hey People,

Thanks for responding. I tend to agree with the "not compromising the integrity of the campaign camp," and I respect the differing opinions also, as they reveal motivations from players' perspectives. The only area of concern I have is that I explicitly stated the parameters of my campaign, and the player has read about 50 pages of material on it that I sent him. I figure we will work something out.

As for the not allowing barbarians and druids queries, here is a bit of an explanation.

The land most of the players hail from is a highly-ordered, insular, and powerful former Mark of the High Kingdom of Belendour where some of the most ancient families of the fallen Realm of Splendour who survived the Great Sack reside. One member of the Melphi, a quasi Numenorean race which appeared from the Frozen Wastes in the midst of the WizardWar with the Eater of Magic, discovered the Mark when he fled from battle with one of the Eater of Magic's most powerful followers into the vastness of the Eagle Rocks. An eagle demi-deity is protector of the Eagle Rocks and his intervention saved this person who, aided by lesser elementals, made his way to the Spring of Erehoe, the patron deity of the Mark, and returned to the WizardWar, more powerful than before after being healed by Erehoe and having made a pact with the deity to protect the Mark and Erehoe's waters in the ages to come.

The Mark was the commercial center of the High Kingdom, with a well-developed infrastructure and benign Wardenship. When the Sack occurred, the Warden sealed off all passes through the Eagle-Rocks to the west and the Bear-Claws to the east. To the south lies the Faer-Wood, a huge enchanted forest full of Feys and Grey Elves. To the north lies the Old-Wood, an ancient cousin of the Faer-Wood and then the Frozen Wastes. The Wardens have kept alive the traditions of Belendour in terms of training and education, and the military is highly trained and sophisticated. The land is basically lawful and there are some dwarven mines and recent halfling and gnome settlers fleeing trouble from the south. The military guards all the passes and each Castle Captain is allowed to act as he or she sees fit in dealing with any incursions.

And, of course, there are enemies, ancient enemies with an undying hatred of the older families and the principles of the Mark. Barbarians were badly defeated ten years prior to this campaign (in the last campaign I ran IRL), and are now under the Wardenship, and the chieftan sons and daughters are held as "guests" in the capital. No other barbarians are allowed to cross the boundaries of the Mark and if they do, they are killed. Orcs attack every year, now with increasing frequency, and the general aim of the Warden is to annihilate any group that the military finds.

He is doing this because 1) the Grey Elven lords have reported to him that the orcs are in league with the ancient enemies of the Mark and are trying to resurrect an ancient evil; 2) the orcs slaughter whoever they find and in many villages there were no traces of the bodies (as in the entire village) to be found; 3) the nature clerics, having been contacted by the Druidic guardians of the mountains (whether these druids were actually druids or avatars of the Guardians is an open question), have stated that the fundamental nature of the Mark is being attacked, led bny Orc shamans and sorcerers receiving guidance from outside the Mark.

Druids hold an ancient secret that could lead to the destruction of life or resurrection of the First Goddess who created the world, and are a major part of the background plot that players are getting bits and pieces of now. The NPC druids are secretive, powerful, mysterious and not necessarily trusting of anyone besides those they know, and they are in direct contact with some of the primal, elemental spirits/deities that surround the Mark. Nature clerics would have contact with the druids and know a bit about the druidic mission, but not a lot, as the druids are more guardians and the nature clerics celebrants and reverents.

Here is the email I sent the player (this is after he received all the background info):

The party is about to confront an ongoing villain, with some suprises (of course).  One is the youngest son of the oldest and most powerful family of Delmark (they are not the governing family), whose heritage hails to the ancient times of the High Kingdom of Belendour (see documents). His older brother stirred up the events that are now occurring in the Aelrith (the campaign I ran six years ago), and is one of the most powerful swordsmen known to the age.

The party is about to embark on a quest to stop someone from resurrecting one of the Devoured, a follower of the Eater of Magic who destroyed the known systems of formal arcane magic.  Delmark has recently led devastating raids on the Five Bandit Lords, who controlled much of the lands to the west of the Bear-Claws.   There is going to be some mix of wilderness and fortress encounters, and then a fair amount of big city stuff, so this may be a consideration in terms of your character.

Anyway, here are the parameters of my campaign in terms of races, classes, and alignments, and a bunch of attachments that detail the history and cosmology of parts of the Aelrith.  

Alignments: all Good, LN, N. (The campaign is definitely good vs. evil with some moral dilemmas and political complexities thrown in.)

Races: Human, Elf, 1/2 Elf, possible Dwarf.

Classes: Fighter (I have variants on these), Paladin, Ranger (I have variants on these), Cleric, Sorcerer, Rogue, Bard.

Mutliclassing:  I allow two classes max and you need to have at least two levels in one of the classes.  If you want a third class, there needs to be a strong in-story argument for it.

Attributes:  You get 83 points to distribute as you like, no attribute above 20 at this point.  The character will be lvl 6.  You will also get some extra skill-points once we have worked on the character.   I also allow feats from other d20 supplements, so will help you out there, too.

As far as the character you presented, it may not fit in well, because of being barbarian and half-orc.  If we were in the eastern part of the Aelrith, this would work better.  Orcs are pretty much killed on the spot here, and the lands are either highly settled and organized, politcally developed smaller holdings guarded by small city fortresses, wastelands, elf-settled ancient woods, or under the influence of Golt, the massive free-port and city state.   Barbarians are basically unheard of in this particular region.

If you can give me an idea of the style of character you would like to play, within these parameters, I can work with you on developing something that will fit.  The party looks like it will be Hum ftr4/rog4, Hum cler7, Hum Archer6, Elf Ftr3/Rng3 and you when you join.   I am absolutely fine with another melee type as this is a low-magic campaign world.  There also are not a lot of people walking around in heavy armor.  Speed, maneuverability, and the plain bother of heavy armor are severe restrictions in this regard.

Some options to help out are:

1) To be coming from Delmark itself (soldier lost or captured in the wars with the Bandit-Lords
2) Come from Veluna or Velarna, two small city-fortresses who have been caught between the wars of the sorceress to the south near the Marches of Celedron and the Bandit Lord rampages
3) A renegade Bandit who has changed sides because of things you found out (dark plots, evil alliances and all)
4) From Golt itself (Attached a brief sketch)
5) From the vales of the Bear-Claws, or the eaves of the Wizard-Wood (wilder type but still with knowledge)
6) From the Marches of Celedron, which is embroiled in political intrigue, dark plots, machinations of Houses from Golt, the war with the sorceress, and is the home of the bad guy the current party is battling.

These are some ideas and we can flesh them out as we email.  If I were to start the campaign over, I might allow some more character possibilities, but I don't think it is fair to the other players if I allow it now, and I set up all of this the way it is because of the nature of the Aelrith.   I also make a strong effort to weave the character's backstories into the ebb and flow of the camaign, so the more detail here the better.

Also, here is the email address of one of the players who has been in this campaign since its inception, so you can get an idea of things from a player's perspective.

OK, I can't type any more. :D

Last edited:

KnowTheToe

First Post
It sounds like a solid way to proceed. Anyway, if your player is anything like me, I always have more character concepts floating in my head than I can deal with.

Pyske

Explorer
If you'e adamant against the idea, I can totally understand. However, if you're looking for some way to be flexible, how about this:

Run a one-shot for the PC as a half-orc. Since he's half-orc, and speaks their language, the tribe has made him responsible for interrogating the humans. (This also explains why he knows a bit about their culture.)

The adventure revolves around the PC discovering something he shouldn't, either from a prisoner, or by stumbling on a meeting he shouldn't see. (Perhaps he only gets hints of what's happening before their guards capture him.) He is killed and his body concealed in the wild.

Unfortunately for the orcs, he was one of the orc nature god's favorites. He sends one of his followers to reincarnate the orc. The orc god of cruel trickery decides that this is too much fun to end so quickly, so he... tampers... with the reincarnation spell. The orc is reincarnated as one of the hated humans, in the middle of the humans kingdom. The PC knows what would happen if the humans find out his true nature. He also needs revenge against his tribesmen, and who better to give it to him than these humans...

. . . . . . . -- Eric

PS -- This works especially well if the orcs don't realize the repercussions of what they are awakening, and the PC has enough wisdom to realize what a bad idea it really is.

EDIT: Wait, is he also trying to break the alignment restriction? Barbarians must be chaotic, druids must be neutral... does he want a CN character?

Last edited:

Sounds a little like a case of:

"You can't do -this- and ..."

"I can't ... but DUUUDE, if I were THE ONLY ONE that would be so cool! Listen, I can make being THE ONLY ONE work for me."

It's like making Drow all evil and the males subservient ... somebody said: "DUUUDE, if there were ONLY ONE." and thus birthed Drizzt.

And five gazillion other Drow male wandering around the surface. Every con you went to, every game you played in, somebody had six pages on how they could be THE ONLY ONE Drow _____ on the surface. Mostly, of course, because they weren't supposed to be and darnment and tarnation if'n it isn't just cool as lemonade under a tree in June to be THE ONLY ONE.

I'm sure Player X does, indeed, love your campaign setting ... mostly because it will allow him to flaunt all the rules and be a hardcore bad-hiney with the pecans to play a Half-Orc Druid/Barbarian/------ in a game world where Half Orcs, Druids, and Barbarians aren't allowed.

Laugh it off. If you can turn it into a joke both of you can laugh at, gently, that he's got to be the big kahuna with cocunuts of titanium, then maybe he'll realize he's being just a tiny bit silly about the whole thing and maybe he'll calm down and quit power-tripping on his own "creativity" and try making something "mundane" be entertaining.

If you just tell him NO then he's definately going to get his back up about it and be pissed off and eventually quit. De-fuse the situation, get him to at once laugh about his choice and realize it's sort of juvenile to want to be THE ONLY ONE, and then move on.

--HT

S'mon

Legend
I think if it were me I'd allow him to be a half-orc with a human mother, who was human-raised and passes for an ugly human - he probably even thinks of himself as human. As long as you kept the "no stat above 20" rule there don't seem to be any game-balance issues.
I see no case, given your highly developed background, for allowing him to be a Barbarian or Druid - a rough Fighter-Cleric type with Plant domain ought to do just as well.

Stand tough. Unless he's some rage-obsessed munchkin tell him to play a fighter or ranger instead of the barbarian. I always thought they were a little pointless. The druid sounds pretty integral to your plot, so it ridiculous for him to ruin what you plsnned out for everyone else. As to the half-orc bit, I agree with the others that he could be a "less obvious" half-orc, and the constant strugle to keep his lineage a secret could make for some great plots and roleplaying.

Am I the only that see's a lot of people playing half-orc barbarians? I don't remember anyone playing a half-orc in my 1E games.

LostSoul

Adventurer
It's not just your game, so you've got to take the player's feelings into account. (Not just this guy's.) Have a group discussion.

Here's why you might allow the character as is:

1) Druids and Barbarians are just packages of skills. Do you have a problem with a character who focuses on defense (d12 hit points) and slips into a wild rage? Or a character who has nature spells?

The character doesn't have to be a "Druid/Barbarian" as far as your game world goes, but he can still have the class abilities of both. Give the classes different names and see how it works.

2) Mutliclassing: If you've got good in-story reasons for it, why not? A class is a package of skills. Why not let the guy, who develops his stealth and spotting skills without giving up combat ability, pick up the level of Ranger? Sometimes picking up a 3rd class makes a lot more in-story sense then staying with a single class.

3) He doesn't have to look like a half-orc, just an ugly guy.

4) Will your campaign world be compromised by a single character?

See what the rest of the group thinks as well.

bardolph

First Post
Well, you're the DM, and you make the rules.

BUT, ask yourself this:

How badly will it really "ruin the integrity" of the campaign to allow this character?

How much of your storylines will it really force you to rewrite just because of this new character?

-----

Another question: are you disallowing this character so that you can be "fair" to the other players, who weren't allowed these options when the campaign started? Maybe you can bring up this character concept up to them, and see what they think. Maybe they won't complain after all.

If allowing this character will really make your job as a DM harder, explain this to the player. The player will no doubt propose some solutions. Listen to these solutions. Maybe they will be good solutions.

If not, explain why you can't allow this character, and ask the player to make a new one.

In my experience, imposing arbitrary class limitations usually doesn't result in a better campaign. It's usually just a way for the DM to get his pet peeves out of his system.

But then again, it's your campaign, and you're the boss.

Remove ads