Aeon (updated 10/9/14)

grodog

Hero
Jeremy said:
Not Divertimento but the more recent one with the thanes and the multiclassed druids and bards. It may not have been a full fledged story hour but it was fantastic reading in any case and I wanted to go back to it. I was wondering if anyone had a copy before the boards ate it.

Hmmm, I must have missed that :( If anyone else has a copy, I'd be happy to add it to the Yahoo archive. (Is it in a google cache somewhere??).

tleilaxu

First Post
from a web enhancement for fiendish codex I:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060620a&page=3

Not all of Spirac's visitors come seeking game. According to Abyssal lore, a mountain pool near the assumed geographic center of the infinite layer rejuvenates 1d4 x 10 years from a body each time the mortal bathes in the pool. The phenomenon has drawn many mortals to the plane, with most ending up amid scraps of once-fierce prey in the bags of renowned demonic huntsmen. Those who reach the pool, it is said, must sacrifice a portion of their free will to the demon lady Soneillon, who dwells in its unwholesome depths.

has someone at WotC been reading this story hour?

Starman

Adventurer
tleilaxu said:
has someone at WotC been reading this story hour?

Didn't Sep take the name from some 1E book? I'm sure he gave Soneillon different traits and a different story, but I'm sure the name comes from one of TSR's books.

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
Starman said:
Didn't Sep take the name from some 1E book? I'm sure he gave Soneillon different traits and a different story, but I'm sure the name comes from one of TSR's books.

Soneillon is also from real world demonology. Though not as a female- a seducer of nuns, iirc.

[edit]
The Wikipedia entry lists her as

Soneillon (f) "The Youthful Crone"
Area of Concern: Rejuvenation
layer 71: Spirac
mentioned (only) in MM2.
other notes: Not to be confused with the succubus who masquerades as her as detailed in "Lost Empires of Faerun".

This page quotes from the Admirable History (1612) where a possession of a nun named Sr. Madeleine is discussed. Sonneillon is one of the demons, and is described as follows:

Admirable History said:
Sonneillon is the fourth in the order of Thrones, and tempts men with hatred against their enemies.

So there you have it.

Last edited:

grodog

Hero
Soneillion appears in the list of demon lords/ladies/princes/queens in the AD&D MM2. That's the only previous reference to her in 1st edition.

Synchronicitously, Sep and my old DM at Penn State and I all made use of Soneillon as a demon queen of succubi, which is quite the coincidence. There's a little discussion of that in the RG thread, IIRC.

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
I would imagine the conceptual link is more with a "fountain of youth" kind of idea than with the story hour's account of Soneillon's final resting place.

Remove ads