• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Aeon (updated 10/9/14)

grodog

Hero
Jeremy said:
Not Divertimento but the more recent one with the thanes and the multiclassed druids and bards. It may not have been a full fledged story hour but it was fantastic reading in any case and I wanted to go back to it. I was wondering if anyone had a copy before the boards ate it.

Hmmm, I must have missed that :( If anyone else has a copy, I'd be happy to add it to the Yahoo archive. (Is it in a google cache somewhere??).

tleilaxu

First Post
from a web enhancement for fiendish codex I:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060620a&page=3

Not all of Spirac's visitors come seeking game. According to Abyssal lore, a mountain pool near the assumed geographic center of the infinite layer rejuvenates 1d4 x 10 years from a body each time the mortal bathes in the pool. The phenomenon has drawn many mortals to the plane, with most ending up amid scraps of once-fierce prey in the bags of renowned demonic huntsmen. Those who reach the pool, it is said, must sacrifice a portion of their free will to the demon lady Soneillon, who dwells in its unwholesome depths.

has someone at WotC been reading this story hour?

Starman

Adventurer
tleilaxu said:
has someone at WotC been reading this story hour?

Didn't Sep take the name from some 1E book? I'm sure he gave Soneillon different traits and a different story, but I'm sure the name comes from one of TSR's books.

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
Starman said:
Didn't Sep take the name from some 1E book? I'm sure he gave Soneillon different traits and a different story, but I'm sure the name comes from one of TSR's books.

Soneillon is also from real world demonology. Though not as a female- a seducer of nuns, iirc.

[edit]
The Wikipedia entry lists her as

Soneillon (f) "The Youthful Crone"
Area of Concern: Rejuvenation
layer 71: Spirac
mentioned (only) in MM2.
other notes: Not to be confused with the succubus who masquerades as her as detailed in "Lost Empires of Faerun".

This page quotes from the Admirable History (1612) where a possession of a nun named Sr. Madeleine is discussed. Sonneillon is one of the demons, and is described as follows:

Admirable History said:
Sonneillon is the fourth in the order of Thrones, and tempts men with hatred against their enemies.

So there you have it.

Last edited:

grodog

Hero
Soneillion appears in the list of demon lords/ladies/princes/queens in the AD&D MM2. That's the only previous reference to her in 1st edition.

Synchronicitously, Sep and my old DM at Penn State and I all made use of Soneillon as a demon queen of succubi, which is quite the coincidence. There's a little discussion of that in the RG thread, IIRC.

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
I would imagine the conceptual link is more with a "fountain of youth" kind of idea than with the story hour's account of Soneillon's final resting place.

Remove ads