D&D 5E African campaign setting, "Wagadu Chronicles" being developed by Twin Drums

Derren

Hero
there’s this weight of cultural appropriation tied to it.

This nonsense again?
According to his facebook he was born in Italy and studied in Berlin, so why would he have more "right" to make an African setting then any other European?

Not sure if it is wise to already also do a online game for it. Things like that take a lot of resources to make them at least adequate, let alone good. Unless he has backing with deep pockets he might stretch himself a bit too thin.

Last edited:

slipshot762

Villager
The "slobbering mob" just wants you to treat people with respect.
This nonsense again?
"That nonsense" is likely why it probably won't sell as well as it should, god forbid a poor pale skin such as myself try to run this thing and "appropriate" or "mis-portray" the setting or it's source material in a way that will have a slobbering outrage mob descend upon you.

While the concept seems cool, I'm not sure if a 5E setting is a good way to represent it. D&D is basically a mythology of its own, and you'd have to cut out the entire spellcasting system and gut most of the classes to properly represent a setting that's substantially different and not just D&D with funny names and hats.

While the concept seems cool, I'm not sure if a 5E setting is a good way to represent it. D&D is basically a mythology of its own, and you'd have to cut out the entire spellcasting system and gut most of the classes to properly represent a setting that's substantially different and not just D&D with funny names and hats.

The same could be said about pretty much any setting that uses D&D tropes while being inspired by real-world cultures. Medieval Europe didn't have D&D's weird branch of polytheism or Vancian wizards either. To me, as long as the author understands and respects the source material, D&D with funny names and hats is a valid approach.

slipshot762

Villager
Yes, we get it, you're soooo oppressed.
Oppressed? Because I would hesitate to utilize the product to avoid being slandered as a racist or cultural appropriator if I do not portray the setting to someone's liking? I think you misunderstand the meaning of the word oppressed.

Sacrosanct

Legend
"That nonsense" is likely why it probably won't sell as well as it should, god forbid a poor pale skin such as myself try to run this thing and "appropriate" or "mis-portray" the setting or it's source material in a way that will have a slobbering outrage mob descend upon you.

There's a big difference between a white player like you it me running a campaign in Africa that was created by a person of color, and a white person creating a campaign that takes place in another culture. No one is going to be in a slobbering outrage if you play in this campaign. The hyperbole doesn't help your argument. The only thing people get concerned about is when someone takes another culture and tries to profit off it. That's the cultural appropriation I was talking about.

Remove ads