D&D 5E African campaign setting, "Wagadu Chronicles" being developed by Twin Drums

Derren

Hero
The concept of cultural appropriation is not about "being equipped" or "being an expert". It's not a discussion of expertise or competence, and a suggestion that it is indicates that the speaker doesn't understand the nature of the concept they are arguing against. You gotta know what it is before you start arguing against it.
Then it is even more bogus. It was already pointed out, no one owns a culture and thus no one has more rights than others to use said culture in works of fiction.

slipshot762

Villager
Wow, just wow.
Yes, that was EXACTLY my reaction to seeing the instructor teaching us about appropriation wearing a red shirt with a hammer and sickle logo on it while pontificating about how horrible we all are should we dare to purchase or display rastafarian themed clothing or accesories. Wow, just wow.

Sacrosanct

Legend
You see, my position is a little different, in that I think it's fairly logical to say that no one owns anything in their culture. I don't own Celtic music, Russian dress, the French language, English foods, etc. I don't own anything in the cultures which I have ancestral ties to. The whole idea of owning a cultures seems odd to me, care to explain?
It's not so much ownership as it is respecting sacred beliefs and cultural identities. Look at native Americans. Things like smudging, headresses, etc all have important meanings. So when a bunch of drunk white people put in a headress and do the tomahawk chop in a football game, it's downright disrespectful. And it's worse when white people profit by taking those tradtions while also continuing to oppress or discriminate towards the culture they just stole from.

Also, CA is often used to force a minority culture to assimilate into the majority culture. See native Americans again. It also reinforces negative stereotypes when white people dress up in native attire in stereotypical and pejorative mannars.

generic

On that metempsychosis tweak
It's not so much ownership as it is respecting sacred beliefs and cultural identities. Look at native Americans. Things like smudging, headresses, etc all have important meanings. So when a bunch of drunk white people put in a headress and do the tomahawk chop in a football game, it's downright disrespectful. And it's worse when white people profit by taking those tradtions while also continuing to oppress or discriminate towards the culture they just stole from.

Also, CA is often used to force a minority culture to assimilate into the majority culture. See native Americans again. It also reinforces negative stereotypes when white people dress up in native attire in stereotypical and pejorative mannars.
Alright, I can understand those points. I still don't fully agree with the idea that CA is applicable in a wide range of circumstances, but this I can understand in the context of, well, people being stupid, as people are wont to do.

Derren

Hero

A white person is as much able to respect sacred believes than a native american is able to ignore them.
Yet still, by just being a native american he is allowed to wear a headdress and tomahawk while a white person isn't.
Its silly, its bogus.

Sacrosanct

Legend
A white person is as much able to respect sacred believes than a native american is able to ignore them.
Yet still, by just being a native american he is allowed to wear a headdress and tomahawk while a white person isn't.
Its silly, its bogus.

You should probably stop arguing topics that you are ignorant of. I don't mean that in a pejoratve way, but a literal way. You clearly don't know what cultural appropriation is, based on your responses. You should really read up on it. I'm serious.

slipshot762

Villager
Its silly, its bogus.
One correction if I may, ALLOWED is wrong; you can do whatever you wish, granted some will cross the line and give you grief for it, but you should not let that stop you if you really wish to wear the headdress; just be aware that you will be faced with having to vomit forth a forced apology they will reject, or point and laugh at them. I recommend the later, but people seem, in my experience, to be too fearful of being shamed, and the former is usually the actual outcome.

generic

On that metempsychosis tweak
@Derren I don't agree with @Sacrosanct on many topics, but this response is kind of incoherent. Of course someone could believe in sacred ideals without having said ancestry, but that's not the point.

Derren

Hero
@Derren I don't agree with @Sacrosanct on many topics, but this response is kind of incoherent. Of course someone could believe in sacred ideals without having said ancestry, but that's not the point.
Actually its exactly the point as when you go back to the initial post you see that he uses skin color alone to decide if someone is doing cultural appropriation or not.

Remove ads