• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E After Curse of Strahd (or continuing a campaign in Ravenloft for a level 10 party)

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
I'll add that I actually have started converting House on Gryphon Hill, but I'm making significant changes so that it first actually works as a sequel to Curse of Strahd, and second the encounters will still challenge a part of level 10s.

As I work through it, I may discover that such an endeavor is not truly possible while maintaining the original module's structure...

I'll add that I actually have started converting House on Gryphon Hill, but I'm making significant changes so that it first actually works as a sequel to Curse of Strahd, and second the encounters will still challenge a part of level 10s.

As I work through it, I may discover that such an endeavor is not truly possible while maintaining the original module's structure...

If you can get a copy of the 3rd edition Ravenloft Gazetteer IV, it has great background info for Mordent , the setting of that adventure.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
If you can get a copy of the 3rd edition Ravenloft Gazetteer IV, it has great background info for Mordent , the setting of that adventure.

I'll definitely take a look at it.

I'm also finding it less difficult to imagine to convert Gryphon Hill to level 10. It is originally designed for level 8, and because old D&D has some different difficulty curves some things just need to be swapped to make work.

For example, the module has vampires as random encounters, but other times has only stirges. Needs standardization, but I'll definitely make it work.

Not all dark domains are within the demiplane of dread.

I like to create mash-up, and getting some ideas from Kult: Los Divinity. Other idea is a steampunk version of the videogame "Doon Eternal", with machines and infernal outsiders. Let's imagine magic machines whose batteries are doomed souls, as a supernatural slavery. These souls aren't destroyed when all energy is spent, only they need time to rechargue the "batteries". Some dragon lords would be fiendish half-dragons or dragonborns. Other idea is a dark domain like "Attack of the Titans" where giants are meneaters, but not undead nor mindless. Or a postapocalypse zone where all walking dead were eaten by werebeasts tribes.

Other surprise is the kingrpriest of Krynn and the god Raitslin (for alternate timelines) are darklords in their own version of Sithicus, and lord Soth as Nemesis.

Other idea is planar gate between Kalidnay and Bluetspur, and a war psionic vs psionic starts. And Kalidnay suffers an invasion of paraelementals (mist, blood, pyre and tomb).

I actually managed to get a look at "Thoughts of Darkness". The story would work well as a sequel to CoS, involving, as it does, a relative of Strahd. It's also a semi-sequel to House on Gryphon Hill, as it uses the Apparatus from that adventure as a plot device.

It's main drawback is its really, really railroaded. I would have to do something about that if I ran it. Converting it to high level 5e is a bit of a mixed bag - there are stat blocks for most of the things in the adventure, and they are in the right level range. However some of the encounters have what I would consider too many enemies to be manageable in 5e.

Remove ads