D&D 5E Against the Slave Lords/Dungeons of dread books...or another module/campaign?

pemerton

Legend
Fair enough, i just assumed desert = some wilderness/survival time...and to be honest maybe sandbox was the wrong word to choose....what i meant was just something that provided some options for the players on how to proceed rather than it being a single option to move things along.
The Slave Lords has some fun bits to it, though also some silly bits.

A module that I think is excellent for a campaign, and might give you the mix of "rails + freedom" that you are looking for, is Night's Dark Terror. You can get it in PDF from here, currently for $4.99. It has a lot of meaty stuff in it, both dungeons and wilderness, and also lends itself well to expansion with other modules, "side quests" etc.

And on a different note, if you're worried about the burdens of prep you might be interested in reading about no myth style play, which combines player freedom with minimal GM prep. Here is a link to a play report for a session I ran in a semi-"no myth" style.

Blackwarder

Adventurer
Firstly, congrats and welcome!

I recommend that you try running the sundering adventures, especially if your group liked Ghost of Dragonspear Castle, it will be a challenge for you as a DM but if you don't care about the encounters format of each session being 2 hours than it shouldn't be that hard.

Warder

Celebrim

Legend
How so? The DM's map for this super-module has more empty hexes full of sand, blasted hills, mountains, and shifting sands than it does "occupied" hexes with specific encounter locations.

The same could be said of the map of Bavaria in Ravenloft. The issue is the scale of the map. It's quite possible to make each of the wilderness journeys in a day or two at most. There isn't enough time invested in that journey to make all the problems mentioned in the text in any way relevant. Any exploring is not only strictly optional, but makes no sense as a choice for the players in context. People just follow the road/breadcrumbs and no trip requires much time.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I've been possibly looking at the recently re-released Against the Slave Lords/Dungeons of Dread books as possible options since the playtest packet also has bestiaries for them but if anyone has any other suggestions or recommendations i'd appreciate them. I've also been handed the Red Hand of Doom adventure book from a friend outside the group and he suggested I give that a go. I havent had time to read it yet but do do any of you more experienced guys have an opinion on it?

I'm a big fan of the Slave Lords story arc in the AD&D modules and have run it a couple of times. It's some good bread and butter adventuring/exploring with a decent motivation beyond just getting rich. Who can't get behind laying the smackdown on some slavers?

One of the benefits of the Slave Lord campaign is it relies on relatively mundane settings and creature types. That makes it highly adaptable to higher and lower styles of fantasy and varied settings. Plus, you get a chance to see how PCs do in just their underwear, without all of their special gear.

Starting with a new group is like starting a book club. You want to start with something very engaging, and definitely not something extremely long. You don't want the first book of book club to be "War & Peace". I'd stay away from "Against the Slavers", as well as "Desert of Desolation" and even sadly "Red Hand of Doom" as they are very long.

Give your group something that lasts maybe a month and gives them that exciting experience of beginning, middle, and ends in a big bang, where they defeat the villain, save the town, and feel the excitement of triumph.

See how that goes, and if it gets them hooked, then move into the longer stuff.

A lot of those older modules that are good were "Expert" modules back then. Which meant they leave a lot of stuff out figuring the DM could make up the details themselves. Reading them now, I find all sorts of vagaries, stuff the DM is supposed to make up. Like Isle of Dread, it's very open and vague, but an experienced DM could fill it in. I'd shy away from those as well. "Secret of Bone Hill" is nigh unreadable.

I'd recommend:
Kill Bargle! - DungeonMag#150 - literally 90% of the monsters are in the D&D Next Bestiary already. It's a 3.5 reprint of the one of the most classic adventures ever, the one from the 1983 Red Box.
Crown of the Kobold King -from Paizo. It's chock full of NPC's to save and interact with, easily convertible, all classic monsters. I'd get rid of the crappy Vargoilles!
Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh is great run all by itself. The sequels suck, but you could easily go into any other adventures from there, as long as they have some connection to pirates or weapon smuggling.
Against the Cult of Reptile God is one of my favorites. It takes a lot of reading, but is worth it when you finally see how it will all play out. Make the crazy blacksmith attack, and see what ensues. Don't forget to keep offering them wine.
Village of Hommlet all by itself actually contains some very nice situations. Gloss over the town, unless your players enjoy interviewing farmers, and jump to the Moathouse. Skip "Temple of Elemental Evil" unless you have friends in college or high school with hundreds of hours of free time.
Night's Dark Terror is also extremely long, but I really like it. Plus, you can take just the beginning, which is awesome, and change what you need from there to go in any direction you want. But changing and editing falls into the "expert" department again.

Other's you may be interested in
Trouble at Grog's lvl 1 town investigation in DungeonMag#4
Dungeon of the Fire Opal lvl 3 in Dungeon Mag#84 - a somewhat longer dungeon crawl, but full of crafty NPC's and story to figure out while exploring.

What's funny is you can usually just google for those magazines and find the pdfs.

Last edited:

Celebrim

Legend
And on a different note, if you're worried about the burdens of prep you might be interested in reading about no myth style play, which combines player freedom with minimal GM prep. Here is a link to a play report for a session I ran in a semi-"no myth" style.

Word of warning on this advice. Some players love 'no myth'. Others hate it. It's one of those topics that every seems to have an extreme opinion on. Personally, I'm in the 'hate it' camp, and I'd probably never play under a GM that tried 'no myth' on me ever again. I might not walk out on you, but I'd be tempted to and I'd pretty much consider it a betrayal of trust and cross you off my list of 'friends to game with'. The end.

Even the meaning of the term is a subject of debate. pemerton calls his session 'semi-no myth', but not only does make no sense to me (is that like being semi-pregnant?), because all games are 'semi-myth' in the sense that its impossible to have literally everything prepared so what is the difference between 'regular' and 'semi myth', but the session he calls semi-no myth on inspection seems really really far from a no myth set up (I might call it 'radically not no myth').

No myth is defined as follows: "The premise, and the reason it's called No Myth, is this: nothing you haven't said to the group exists."

Examining pemerton's scenario, we find the following:

a) There is something called the Nerathi Empire. It's presumably a published setting with a lot of canon that pemerton can draw on to flesh out the myth and history of his game.
b) The scenario is based off of a published adventure and thus contains lots of details to draw from.
c) Per his own account, pemerton did at least some preparation on top of using multiple premade sources.
d) Per his own account, pemerton's myth creation during the scenario was done on the basis of the preexisting myth of his campaign. In other words, pemerton has to know a bunch of stuff exists in order to even fill in the blanks.

When I read pemerton's scenario, I don't see ANYTHING that looks like "no myth". What I see is pemerton being a little bit more of a "say yes or roll the dice" sort of DM than he has apparently been in the past (when he ran RoleMaster, for example), in that he is giving the benefit of the doubt to any sort of player led creativity or investigative action and adding detail to the setting rather than reporting back simply empty white space. "You find nothing." is a valid answer, but it isn't always the best answer.

Short version: I detest 'no myth' theory, find it incoherent, and believes it encourages the worst possible traits you can encourage in a new DM (running on the seat of your pants). Very experienced DMs can run a session extemporaneously because they've got years of scenario experience to draw from. Don't try to do this as a novice. Don't plan to do this as an expert. You're doing exactly what you should be doing at this stage in your career, finding reliable published material and learning from it what works for your group and abilities and what doesn't.

There are some kernals of truth bedded in 'no myth'. It's possible to be too hidebound. One of the worst things you can do is assume the only things that exist are the things you've prepared for, because then you create a really thin world instead of a living one, and the players might as well be playing a video game instead of one based on collective imagination. But my advice to a new GM would be stay the heck away from anything to do with 'no myth'.

pemerton

Legend
Starting with a new group is like starting a book club. You want to start with something very engaging, and definitely not something extremely long. You don't want the first book of book club to be "War & Peace". I'd stay away from "Against the Slavers", as well as "Desert of Desolation" and even sadly "Red Hand of Doom" as they are very long.

<snip>

Night's Dark Terror is also extremely long, but I really like it. Plus, you can take just the beginning, which is awesome, and change what you need from there to go in any direction you want.
One of the good features of Night's Dark Terror is that most of its individual components are quite short and generally pithy.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I've tried running/playing Temple, but got bored with Hommlet and never got much past that part)
Hommlet is good so long as you use it like it was when it was the only part of the T "series" that existed. The Temple of Elemental Evil is pretty lame and doesn't add much to it.

The Moathouse is a good starter dungeon and the DM can re-flavor the cultists to match whatever they want and ignore the idea that there's supposed to be another group of them down the road. (Giant frogs at the Moathouse make a great first TPK, too.)

Last edited:

edhel

Explorer
Here's a couple of suggestions based on my experiences:
The Sunless Citadel, The Forge of Fury, and The Standing Stone are all adventures from the d&d 3.0 adventure path. All of them are easy to run and adapt, easy to plant in your campaign, and 98% of the monsters are in the D&D Next bestiary. Characters get to interact with kobolds, fight orcs, infiltrate citadels and investigate a mystery. The Citadel and the Forge are dungeon crawls, the Stone is a mysterious village with old ruins, fey, and burial sites around it.

Another good one is the Forgotten Realms adventure The Sons of Gruumsh, which was exceptionally fun when we played it. It's easy to plant in any remote region of your campaign. The adventure starts with trek through boggy wilderness where an orcish citadel is located. The Sons are deep orcs (orocs) who are gathering the tribes for war (or whatever). It has a plethora of different kinds of orcs but you could just reskin some monsters/npcs from the bestiary to cover those.

If you are reticent to improvise and feel safer to rely on ready-made material, I wish to give a piece of advice: prepare for improvisation. You can make yourself a DMing notebook which you fill with useful stuff like weather tables, random charts, plot twists, NPC quirks etc. I find it's easier and much more useful to think of, say, five magical book names, write them down, (or just print a list from a blog or a DM tool book) and maybe use them at some later point, than it is to think of evocative thing for your adventure that the players might miss. If you don't know what to do, roll on a table, accept the result and just see where it goes.

You can also activate your players to think of things. They don't have to choose ready-made religions for their priests, when you can just ask them what their religion is like, and thus give them narrative authority in your campaign. When the party goes to the next town and there's temple of Foop, you can just turn the player who plays the priest of Floop and ask what are his religion's temples like.

Remove ads