D&D 5E Aim and Feint actions (and Expanding Cunning Action)

Xeviat

Hero
Like making de-alcoholized beer that doesn't suck? Or finding a parking spot right next to the stadium 3 minutes before kickoff?! Changing Coke to Pepsi?!?

Or are you talking about boring impossible stuff like tracking a hawk over a cloudy sky or going in against a Sicilian when death is on the line?

Just trying to get a feel for where you're headed with this.:) Looks good so far, carry on.

Hah!

I'm thinking like wuxai and tall tales level stuff.

Xeviat

Hero
With the exceptions of (a) needing advantage to trigger something like Sneak Attack or (b) having time before combat to Aim, the Aim and Feint actions are always inferior to just taking two actions to attack twice.

In both cases, you end up rolling two d20s for attacks, each which can be a miss, hit or crit.

Based on what the dice come up with, here's the results for either both dice rolled for advantage and for two separate attacks.

2 miss: same either way
1 hit 1 miss: same either way
1 crit 1 miss: same either way
2 hit: ADV: 1 hit, 2 attacks: 2 hits.
1 crit 1 hit: ADV: 1 crit, 2 attacks: 1 crit + 1 hit
2 crits: ADV: 1 crit, 2 attacks: 2 crits.

So two attacks is either the same or better then 1 attack with advantage (with the exceptions above).

Even if it just costs an attack and you have extra attack it's the same thing - two rolls for one attack or two rolls for two separate attacks.

In addition, there is nothing guaranteeing you can make an attack next round. Maybe the target is dead, maybe they are behind cover or out of range, maybe another foe engages you.

And this all before the chance to fail the perception roll.

I think the idea of Aim is good, and if the idea that it's of limited usefulness but in the right circumstances (snipers with time before the shot, and getting Adv for SA), then you're set. If you want it to be more generally applicable you may want to improve it somehow.

Now, rolling them into cunning action on the other hand to use a bonus action is pretty good. Especially for ranged, since there isn't an easy bonus action attack with it.

As a side note, I'd use Investigation myself. It's more of the "figure things out". But that's preference.

It's definitely not an always thing. It would be for times when you had a chance to prep, or when you're setting up for something that's bigger than two would be. Aiming before casting a leveled spell instead of just using two cantrips, for instance.

I personally don't think baseline maneuvers should be balanced in typical situations. They should be circumstantial.

aco175

Legend
I thought the balance for being a ranged rogue was only one attack vs. a 2 weapon attacking rogue was that they are not being attacked back and are more 'safe'. I never like the bonus action to hide and then pop out and gain advantage, so the AIM power may work, but is basically the same thing but uses another skill. This may open some more options for the type of rogue you play.

Xeviat

Hero
I thought the balance for being a ranged rogue was only one attack vs. a 2 weapon attacking rogue was that they are not being attacked back and are more 'safe'. I never like the bonus action to hide and then pop out and gain advantage, so the AIM power may work, but is basically the same thing but uses another skill. This may open some more options for the type of rogue you play.

Opening up options was a large chunk of my reasoning. Another chunk is that I've been asked about this, and it seemed like an easy and balanced solution.

Remove ads