• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

AIM/AOL Chatroom Game

scpna

First Post
Moostafa, good news, I talked to my players and they are willing to have up to 6 players total, so chances are good that you can join the game. Feel free to post ideas for your character and questions here and I'll get back to you as quickly as I can.

Once again, if you have any particular information you want feel free to post questions here. Otherwise I will finish posting info on the surrounding areas, then I am not sure what I'll add next.

For now, here is some more setting information. Kroftland lies just to the west of Grak's Deep and is surrounded on three sides by the Iron Peaks. This is the nation where the campaign began.

The Kingdom of Kroftland:
During the time of the Great Capasian Kingdom, the nation of Kroftland prospered thanks to it's proximity to that great empire. Wool, lumber, and sheep from the Kroftlanders were able to reach all of the Heartlands on Capasian ships and caravans.

Since, the fall of Capasia, however, the nation has been in a downward spiral. The break out of hostilities in Capasia saw an influx of immigrants at a time when supplies were low already due to goblin raids from the Iron Peaks. A fews later, the situation worsened when King Aldar na'Krof died without an heir. There were immediately three contenders for the throne: Nyra na'Torwyn, the King's friend and a high ranking noble, Kell na'Krellen, the general of the armies, and Mikar na'Grein, a distant cousin of na'Krof. The country was divided in three until Kell was assassinated and his death blamed on Nyra. Suddenly with her support dwindling, Nyra was forced to flee and took up residence in Grak's Deep. Meanwhile, Mikar na'Grein became king.

Mikar's reign, however, has been plagued with difficulties. Hobgoblins and unstable relations with former allies are making Mikar work overtime in order to pull his nation out of a depression.

The residents of Kroftland are primarily human with smaller groups of halflings, wood elves, and hill dwarfs. High elves and rock gnomes that fled from the Heartlands are also present. The most common faiths in Kroftland are those of Shion, the sun god, and Palea, the goddess of charity. New faiths have been introduced by immigrants in recent years and have taken footholds in the struggling citizenship.

Last edited:

Byrons_Ghost

First Post
A few questions on character creation:

How should we calculate the ability scores?
Should we take the standard starting equipment for seventh level?
Are you using prestige classes or any particular sourcebooks?

scpna

First Post
Ability Scores should be calculated using the standard method of rolling 4 dice and dropping the lowest to get 6 numbers, then arranging in the way that best meets your character concept.

For starting wealth, I'm pretty sure that you may take up to the usual starting wealth for 7th and be at about the same quality of gear for the current players.

Prestige classes are used but you have to okay the choice of them through me. Pretty much, if you have a good reason why you should be able to take the class and if it can be tied into the story it will be allowed, unless I view it as unbalanced.

As for sourcebooks, the only things guaranteed to be available in the world are the core rules (PHB, MM, DMG). I have also decided that some of the base classes from other products are available (see below). Other than that, you can ask about something else and most likely be able to use it.

Additional Base Classes:
Marshal (MiniHB): Mostly used as a class that nobles and other trained leaders take.

Swashbuckler (Complete War): Common in the Heartlands area to the southeast of Grak's Deep.

Psion and Psychic War (PsiHB): Only really common to the south (Kaldeshan, and the southeast areas)

scpna

First Post
Some more geography and history

Here is information on the area immediately to the southeast of Grak's Deep. The country of Aldun, right to the east of the city, is one of the fragments of the old Capasian kingdom.

The Heartlands:
The center of civilization, the Heartlands are considered to be the core of the world both economically and culturally, especially by Heartlanders.

The area known as the Heartlands was once part of the Empire of Kalgir, which was allied with demons from the Abyss. After years of terrorizing the world, Kalgir was defeated by an alliance of the nations in the Shieldlands.

After this fall, the region broke apart into small provinces controlled by various warlords. The infighting between warlords continued for about 30 years before the new nations stabilized in 3630 PD. The most powerful nation in the area was Capasia, and it slowly managed to annex most of the Heartlands within the next 100 years.

During that time, the Capasian culture was refined from the "barbaric" culture of the rest of the north, to the "epitome of civilization". Influenced by both the high elves of Arivanna and the Vel'unic (southern human) culture of the Shining Lands, they have given up on the tradition of the knight, view paladins as archaic, and dislike anyone not finely polished in the social arts. Heavy armor has been restricted to museums and rapiers and crossbows are the weapons of choice.

Then about 10 years ago, the Kingdom of Capasia fell apart. The king died and many of the nobles refused to follow his young wife, Ara Trothnar. This caused a civil war in 3751, and Capasia is now broken into numerous smaller kingdoms.

War changed some of the views of the area, chainmail shirts and breastplates are once again being seen on soldiers and polearms are being carried by guardsmen. For the most part though, the people continue to arrogantly believe that they are the greatest culture in the world.

scpna

First Post
Player Packet

Hello All,
I just sent the player packet via e-mail to all three of you. If you for some reason, didn't receive it, then e-mail me at scpna@aol.com or post here.

Once you have character ideas, please post them here so that I can have an idea of what you want to play. Also if you'd like advice or more information for character backgrounds, names, etc. just contact me.

The group is playing again the evening of either the 23rd or the 24th and I would like to add you in if you're ready by then.

Byrons_Ghost

First Post
I've about got my character done, a Capasian fighter/swashbuckler. His fencing school sided with the Queen during the civil war and was more or less destroyed; he came to Kroftland with other Capasian refugees. Since then, he's been wandering the countryside as an adventurer and mercenary. I should have everything finished tomorrow.

scpna

First Post
Byrons_Ghost, sounds good. I'm looking forward to seeing the character. I should be able to work him into the story nicely.

Here's some more information relating to Capasia that didn't make it into the packet:

Three Years War
The Three Years War started in 3750 when a garrison of Capasian soldiers attacked a group of Kaldeshani plainsmen. The Kaldeshani army immediately reacted by moving its forces against the Capasian frontiersmen who had begun moving onto the plains.

The war quickly escalated to the point where the majority of both nations’ armies were engaged. The war’s deciding event, however, happened far from the battlefields. In 3751, an assassin killed King Ivan of Capasia and the Capasian army was for the most part recalled to deal with civil unrest. The assassination was blamed upon the Kaldeshani, but they maintain that they had no involvement.

Once the Capasian army had fallen back, the Kaldeshani retook the plains all the way to the Harkholm River (which is the river that meets the Long Lake at Free Port).

Many people in the former kingdoms of Capasia blame the downfall of their empire on the Kaldeshani and hold a deep hatred for them and other Vel'unics. This has led to several small battles since the war, but nothing major has come from these.

scpna

First Post
Just posting to say that the game will be this Saturday night, likely around 8 pm EST. Once I know time for sure I will get back to you.

I'd appreciate having your characters by Wed night if you plan to play this weekend. If you can't then you are still more than welcome to join in 2 weeks. You can either post your character here or email it to me at scpna@aol.com . If you want help or more information for the background, you can contact me and I will be more than happy to provide it.

Finally, if any of you would like a walkthrough of AIM and chatroom play, I can do that Thursday or Friday evening, or before the game Saturday.

Remove ads