D&D 5E AiME for 5e Monsters

Eric V

Hero
Hello,

Just wondering if Cubicle 7 put out the stats for the Nazgul in 5e, and if so where I might get them. I have the Player's Guide and Loremaster's Guide, but alas, the Nazgul were absent.

Thanks!

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Hello,

Just wondering if Cubicle 7 put out the stats for the Nazgul in 5e, and if so where I might get them. I have the Player's Guide and Loremaster's Guide, but alas, the Nazgul were absent.

Thanks!

You may want to check in the new Rhovanion guide which is currently available only in pdf, there's new ennemies in it, cant garantee that the nazgul will be in.

Satyrn

First Post
I'd probably just use the wraith from the monster manual and slap on a bunch of fighter levels. Or whatever class you want each of them to be.

G

Guest 6801328

I'd probably just use the wraith from the monster manual and slap on a bunch of fighter levels. Or whatever class you want each of them to be.

Oh...no, not fighter. The Ringwraiths aren't badass fighters. Fear is their greatest weapon.

CapnZapp

Legend
Oh...no, not fighter. The Ringwraiths aren't badass fighters. Fear is their greatest weapon.
I think he more meant that Ringwraiths deserve to be more dangerous than regular wraiths.

It all comes down to the fact D&D has levels.

In Lord of the Rings you could argue they actually weren't much more dangerous than wraiths of some sort (not thinking specifically about 5th edition stats here).

Instead the Hobbits were level 2, tops, and Strider, while a tier II Ranger was severely outnumbered.

It all boils down to the relative power difference between heroes and monsters.

You could argue the Nazgul should be supremely frightening even to a 10th level party, and then they need to be CR 15 each, and the Witch-king of Angmar even higher.

Others think the books/movies show that they aren't all that powerful when confronted by heroes (and heroines) that resist their fear.

TLDR there is no single right power level, since Tolkien didn't play D&D

Sent from my C6603 using EN World mobile app

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
One of the greatest addition from AiME is the additional abilities/descriptor that you add to creatures found in the Loremaster Book.
Now, if you take a Wraith from the MM and put it at max HP, add the following traits:
Multi-attacks: 3 longsword attacks.
Deeply Sinister: harder to hit because of hesitation.
Hatred (Dunedain/Elves): Advantage against a specific culture
Fell speed: Bonus move
Terrifying Aspect: when in group it remove Inspiration from PCs
Poisonous: 1 attack can poison Pcs.

I guess it would make for an epic fight. For their mounts, you can take a Wyvern from the MM, remove the stinger and to the same process.

Eric V

Hero
Thanks for the replies, everyone. It's very helpful.

I can't imagine -why- they haven't statted up the most famous opponents in the lore, though...

JeffB

Legend

Destruction of Arthedain/Cardolan/Rhuadar, in particular Battle of Fornost as well as single-handedly responsible for breaking the line of Kings in Gondor.

Witch King of Angmar (at least) definitely a badass fighter.

I would give him increased Fighting capability as well as Sorcery/Necromantic Abilities (Perversion of the Barrow Downs among other things).

Remove ads