Airwalkrr's Greyhawk: Maure Castle IC

Rathan

First Post
Kal-Fen

Kal sits patiently before the table before them listening to the woman's rebuttal to the others as he contemplates the information in his head about Maure Castle.

"I do believe I know of a way into the dungeons however only in quoted talk... not actual practice. Are you aware of what a Silver Key of Portals is Mellary? Kal asks softly as he goes back into thought.

"As for treasure my dear friends I do believe there is much more than that dungeon than even Mordenkainen and Bigby were ever able to traverse. Trust me when I say I feel that this will be MORE than lucrative for us. Kal-fen added softly before laying eyes on Mellery once more.

"I for my part am willing to take this job but I have ONE small request. Whoever wants this information must meet me face to face to receive it from my hands. I will not willing hand dire arcane information to the hands of my own sources enemies nor will I pass any information off to someone I know nothing about, as this is how people end up dead in an alley somewhere with no one to blame it on" Kal said as his dark lips turned into a cooked little smile.

"Oh and one last question if I may? Kal said softly with a raised finger.... "Where is the Greyhawk's Guild of Wizardry located exactly Mellery? Kal added with another small smirk

airwalkrr

Adventurer
"I'm glad to see your fears are somewhat alleviated. That last thing I want is for you to think me a villain," Mellary responds to Mapata.

As Kal-fen mentions the Silver Key of Portals, Mellary's brow furls in deep concentration. After a few moments in thought, she raises her right hand and snaps her fingers to summon her manservant to her side. She whispers a few words into his ear and he promptly exits the room.

"That sounds quite familiar to me. Perhaps in a minute or two I can tell you more. In the meantime, I can address your request to meet with the person who wants these journals."

Mellary smiles coyly before continuing. "While those in my organization tend to share morsels of information as the moment suits us, we are not as cohesive as you might think. While there are many among us who would love to have their hands on this information, I've asked you myself because, to be frank, I would rather you give them to me than my comrades."

"It has less to do with me not trusting them and more to do with my desire to have the first look at anything Kerfane might have written. You see, I am a representative of my organization in the same way an ordinary citizen of Greyhawk is a representative of the city. I am a member, of course, and share a certain sense of camaraderie with those who share my interests, but that doesn't mean I don't have interests of my own. Call it a friendly sense of competition."

As she says this, her manservant returns with a book bound by leather dyed green. An ornamental symbol is embossed upon the cover in bronze. Mellary thanks her servant for the book and takes it in her hands.

[sblock=Knowledge (arcana) DC 20]The symbol on the book is a mark meaning "wondrous" or "fantastic." It is often used with reference to works of artifice and magical items of great power.[/sblock]

Mellary opens the book and flips through the pages. You can see a number of pencil drawings of various types of objects opposite calligraphic text. You catch sight of weapons, an orb, a fanciful contraption with Boccob-knows what function, a mask, and several tiny shapes in the various pictures. Finally, she turns to a page that has a picture of a key. She turns the book to show you. "The Silver Key of Portals," she says with a look of triumph, "said to be a favored relic of Dalt, the Suel god of portals, keys, locks, and passages of any kind. I thought this sounded familiar, and now I know why. Local legends say that this item was once granted as a boon to none other than Mordenkainen. The text doesn't say where the key is located today, but I would wager a fair amount of my fortune that someone within the Circle of the Eight could tell you its last-known whereabouts."

Rathan

First Post
Kal-fen

Mellary said:
"It has less to do with me not trusting them and more to do with my desire to have the first look at anything Kerfane might have written.

"Ahem... 'second' look m'lady... I'd be a fool not to take a little peek myself given my profession." Kal said softly as he gave her a big smirk.

[sblock=Knowledge (Arcana) and Spellcraft Checks]Spellcraft and Knowledge (Arcana) checks (1d20+16=27 (Spellcraft), 1d20+16=34 (Arcana))[/sblock]

As Kal peeks down at the book his hand reaches up to scratch more at his dark onyx goatee.

"A wondrous gathering of magical means, minds, and contraptions Mellary? I would be VERY interested to see this book in further detail sometime soon. You are full of surprises m'Lady. Lets just hope Mordenkainen does not still have this relic as if he does I know of 'no' other way into Maure Castle. Can you set me a meeting with this Circle of Eight Mellary?" Kal-fen added as he feel silent once more impressed thus far with Mellarys intelligence and connections.

Last edited:

airwalkrr

Adventurer
[sblock=Kal-fen]I also forgot to mention that your question about the location of the Guild of Wizardry probably isn't necessary in your case. You could easily take 10 on Knowledge (arcana) to know it's location. Aside from that, it is easily one of the most imposing structures in all of Greyhawk's skyline. Any Thom, Dicus, or Haere in the city could probably tell you where to find it.[/sblock]

Vertexx69

First Post
The paladin listens as the group falls into line, accepting the job, as plans start being made for the journey and entrance into the ancient castle. "I shall require a simple length of time to contemplate the nature of these dangers we will be facing in this castle of my forbears." The platinum haired warrior rises from the table again, as the meeting seems to have gone well then remembers something else. "Not to sound like a mercenary in any sense, but as this is how we all make our living, to what order are we to be compensated for braving these deadly perils in the search of this lost tome your organization so desperately seeks?"

-

Once these small matters have been handled, Roshan turns to the others with a distracted look on his face. "When all the necessary preparations have been finalized and we are ready to depart, I will meet you in the temple district in two days time. I must consult with the ancestral spirits within my blade." His hand moves to the grip of his giant curved blade as he speaks, and his hard gray eyes seem to look through those he began speaking to as he finishes. The dragoon makes his farewells to his old friend Mellary and leaves without further comment.

Rathan

First Post
Kal-fen

After making his arrangements with Mellary already stated he looked about the room inquiringly wondering if anyone else had anything to say before excusing himself to find the Greyhawk's Guild of Wizardry. He knew that if anything was left of the private display he with his pull backed by his own group The Onyx Vale he might be able to view and or commandeer for the time being any pieces he may need for the journey back into Maure Castle.

"If anyone wishes to join me in my trek to the Guild of Wizardry before we go, they are more than welcome to tag along. I have a feeling something there would be useful and seeing as we have a couple days time to spare I feel it wise to at least try and see the private collection rumored to be there from the first expedition to Maure Castle."

Last edited:

Thanee

First Post
Justine

Justine curiously awaits an answer to the question Roshan asked. She had asked something similar before, but it was probably a bit too subtle.

Once that is cleared up, Justine would be ready as well. It did sound like a dangerous venture, but on the other hand, that was their daily trade, and so it was not unexpected.

Voda Vosa

First Post
"I shall accompany you Kal. It is no mystery for me that you are an expert in getting yourself into trouble, and also, it is no mystery that I am in charge of getting you out of said trouble." jokes the half orc as he stands towering next to the arcane practitioner.

airwalkrr

Adventurer
"Compensation," Mellary begins to respond to Roshan with a protracted pause. "As for an excuse to enter an ancient dungeon no doubt teeming with treasure, I doubt you need any. No amount of money I could ever give you would be worth the rewards the expedition is likely to earn you on its own merits. But regarding Kerfane's journals, well, my good graces and the favor of those I traffic with are worth more than mere gold. I am a woman of high status with my hand in many pots. I can do things for you that can't be measured in coin, like make arrangements with a certain magical organization presided over by Greyhawk's greatest wizard.

"At any rate it seems you have begun to make some plans of your own. I really must be going now. I have an engagement soon that I need to prepare for. Should you require anything else or think of a question that needs to be asked, I will be available to you tomorrow at the crack of noon. Feel free to stop by if you find it suits you. If not, I will assume you are already on your way and have everything you need. In the event I do do not see you until you return, good luck."

At that Mellary dismisses you. Her servant shows you the door and you exit onto the wide streets of Greyhawk's majestic Garden Quarter.

[sblock=Vertexx69]The city of Greyhawk holds temples to numerous different deities. There is no temple district, per se, although some of the temples do tend to cluster around each other. There are three "quarters" where temples are primarily found.

Perhaps the highest concentration of temples can be found in Greyhawk's luxurious Garden Quarter. By day, any are allowed within, however, at nightfall, only those living within the quarter or those with a writ of passage are allowed through the gates. This is the affluent part of town. Within the Garden Quarter is the Sacred Temple of Saint Cuthbert (the largest religious group in the city; god of wisdom and dedication; lawful good), the Temple of Pelor (god of the sun and light; neutral good), the Temple of Zilchus (god of finance and trade; lawful neutral), Chapel of Fharlanghn (god of roads and travel; neutral), and the Sanctum of Heironeous (god of war and chivalry; lawful good).

The most riotous district, the River Quarter, also contains a few temples. The Temple of Pholtus (god of law and order; lawful good), the Temple of Rao (god of peace and serenity; lawful good), and the Temple of Trithereon (god of liberty and retribution; chaotic good) all make their homes here.

One can also find chapels and smaller temples to other deities, many of them neutral or chaotic. Olidammara (chaotic neutral), Beory (neutral), Xerbo (lawful neutral), Norebo (chaotic neutral), Ralishaz (chaotic neutral), and Ulaa (lawful good) have holy sites located at various districts throughout the city though none of them sponsor standard paladins.

There are no temples to Lendor, but any church with similar ideals (probably the lawful ones) would be happy to give you a place to pray at the very least. As far as lodging though, you will be on your own. Since your character seems itinerant, one of the many inns in the city is probably your best bet. The most notable inns are those named for various kinds of dragons (e.g. the Green Dragon Inn). And you can stable your worm in one of the exotic stables in the Garden Quarter. If you don't stable your worm, it's likely to be killed or captured if you just let it wander around outside the city. Adventurers flock to Greyhawk like Mecca and many wouldn't care that it had a saddle or appeared to have an owner. Stabling an exotic mount costs 15 sp per day. Your lodging is taken care of in your upkeep cost, whichever one you paid. If you paid anything higher than standard, your upkeep will include the cost of stabling your worm.

I'm not sure if you will still want to take the time since you can't add everbright at the moment (see OOC thread).[/sblock]
Kal-fen, Mapata and Justine embark upon a visit to the prestigious Guild of Wizardry, said to be the most important guild in all of Greyhawk, and perhaps the world! The imposing four-corner pyramid stands on a hill at the edge of the High Quarter. It is a mighty edifice whose golden steps remind you of the magnificence of the greatest wizards Oerth has ever seen. As you reach the main entrance, you are stopped by a pair of heavily-armed dwarves who ask your names and business. No one is allowed inside the great halls they say, not without membership or a day pass from an existing member signed beforehand on the previous day.

You are about to turn and leave when one of the dwarves, consulting a massive list, cries, "Aha! Here they are. Someone tacked them in at the end. Proceed inside."

When you inquire as to the name of the sponsor who granted you access, the dwarf replies grufly, "You mean you don't know? Honestly, some people. Anyway I couldn't tell you even if I wanted to. It seems the member who requested your day passes did so anonymously. Now hurry inside before I change my mind!"

As you move past the rude porter and enter inside, you find yourself in the main hall of the ground floor. Men and women of magic flutter to and fro on various errands. Some stand or sit in various places in the hall discussing some minutiae of magical practice while others seem entranced by some tome or intricate scroll.

[sblock=Rathan]We need to discuss this organization of yours, the Onyx Vale, in more detail. Give me a brief outline (a paragraph will do) of what the organization does, how many and what kind of members it has, and where they are headquartered. It is quite likely an organization such as you are seeking already exists in the World of Greyhawk and we could place you in that one instead. For consistency's sake, we could even say that the Onyx Vale is a pseudonym for some other organization or a private/secret chapter of some larger organizations.[/sblock]

Thanee

First Post
Justine

Justine raises an eyebrow as the dwarf porter suddenly lets them in. The lady was right, that she had her hands in many pots and was able to aid them in ways that were more useful than mere coins.

“So, how do we proceed? I havn't been here yet. You? Maybe we should just ask someone...”

Remove ads