Airwalkrr's Maure Castle IC Chapter 1: The Great Hall

airwalkrr

Adventurer
OOC: Sorry for the delay. Back to posting!
As you follow the eastern wall, you turn the corner and find that the northern wall goes eastward for another forty feet or so until it ends at a long eastern wall that runs southward. You can see many niches along these walls as you walk southward to get your bearings on the perimeter of this place. It is beginning to dawn on you how truly massive this chamber is. Although none of you are very knowledgeable in the field of architecture and engineering, Celine knows enough about natural caverns to tell that this place has far too much of a ceiling to be held up by conventional means. Magic perhaps, or some trick of ancient architecture you are unaware of might be at work, but the ceiling is not even vaulted. And as you walk further south, you begin to feel a sense of smallness in a very wide open place.

"Ouch," Brisarion yelps as he stumbles upon a chipped part of the otherwise smooth granite floor. He noticed it at the last minute and tried to avoid it, but his heavy armor got in the way. Celine was about to say something to him about minding himself when Longren suddenly stops in his tracks and turns his head westward, "I heard..." he begins to say, but before he can complete his thought, you hear it too. Something is moving towards you swiftly and silently from the west, descending upon you as if with ravenous hunger.
GM: Everyone failed their Listen checks except for Longren, who gets to act in the surprise round. The creatures are still an indeterminate distance outside your field of view, but you know they are coming at you from the west. Also to the west, you can see a cornered wall with a door on the north side and another door on the east side.

Initiative (surprise round)
23 Phantom Menace
18 Longren

The creatures moved. It is Longren's turn. Remember this is a surprise round so you get only a single standard action.

Attachments

• greathall.xls
    18 KB · Views: 103

Longren

"Stand back!" Longren growls and grips his axe tight in both hands. "Whatever's coming, it'll have to get through me first."

[sblock]Sorry for the delay.

I've got two possible actions for Longren, depending on how your rule the first one.

Option 1: Ready to charge (power attack for -2) when an enemy appears. Normally you can't ready a charge (as a charge is a full-round action and you can only ready standard, move, or free actions), but you can charge as a standard action if you are restricted to a standard action.

"If you are able to take only a standard action or a move action on your turn, you can still charge, but you are only allowed to move up to your speed (instead of up to double your speed). You can’t use this option unless you are restricted to taking only a standard action or move action on your turn."

As it's a surprise round and he's only got a standard action, charging is now a standard action and thus legal for the ready action.

Option 2: If that doesn't fly, then he'll take his 5ft step to be in front of the party (1 grid square west) and use total defense as a standard action, getting +4 dodge to AC. A 5ft step is technically not an action, so he can do that and total defense in the surprise round. AC would bump up to 25.

Actions In Combat :: d20srd.org

Either one is fine with me, including whatever ruling you want to make regarding them.
[/sblock]

Thanee

First Post
[SBLOCK=OOC]As long as you havn't moved, Charge is always a legal choice for the Ready Action, AFAIK, since during the resolve of that action you are always restricted to just a standard action.[/SBLOCK]

airwalkrr

Adventurer
GM: Readying a charge is an acceptable action. Longren gets to take his readied action and attack this round.

I should note at this point that it looks like Longren has DR from a number of sources that do not stack. He gets DR 2/- from barbarian levels, which goes up to DR 5/- when he is down to 60 hp. He also gets DR 2/- from his adamantine breastplate and DR 2/- from his Armor Specialization feat. I see you listed your DR as 6/-, but this is incorrect, as DR does not stack that way. You actually have DR 2/- from three different sources. If you would like to make some changes to your character in light of this, you may do so.

Damage Redution
Longren steels himself for the coming battle and prepares to charge at the first sign of danger. As he wraps his hands around the grips of his axe, a pack of gray-fleshed hairless humanoids begin to stalk out of the darkness towards him and his group. They have elongated skull-like heads, noseless faces, and white, empty eyes. As soon as one comes into view, he hurls himself forward, colliding into them with a slash of his axe leading the way.

The creatures move to surround Longren and strike at him with their powerful arms. (AC 12: miss, AC 18; miss, AC 9: miss, AC 20: hit for 5 damage-3 after DR, AC 7: miss)
GM: Feel free to act in any order you wish. Once all players have acted, the bodaks will take their turn.

Knowledge
These creatures are bodaks. They are known for their deadly gaze attack, which is capable of killing a man for simply looking upon them. This is a death effect. If you begin your turn within 30 feet of a bodak, you must roll a Fortitude save for each bodak within range. You can try to avoid the gaze by blinding yourself or averting your gaze (see Gaze Attacks below).

Gaze Attacks

Initiative
23 Longren (6 bodaks in range)
23 Bodaks
19 Brisarion
15 Celine
7 Silhouette (3 bodaks in range)

Attachments

• greathall.xls
    18.5 KB · Views: 100

Longren

Raising his greataxe high, Longren charges straight into the foul beasts. "Die!" He shouts as he brings the greataxe down in a wide swing.

[sblock]Readied Action Charge happens before the Bodaks attack him. He'll then full attack in regular initiative order, sending all attacks at the same target. If the target dies he'll attack another Bodak with his remaining attack(s).[/sblock]

Rhun

First Post
Brisarion steps back, putting a bit more distance between himself and the enemy. Grasping his holy symbol, the cleric channels the power of his deity. "I cast thee out of this world, and back to whence you came!" he calls, attempting to force the creatures back to their native plane.

5' step to BP42, cast Banishment (targeting those closest to Brisarion & Silhouette). Will Save vrs DC (33 - creature's hit die) or 24 hit dice of Bodak are banished from the Prime Material Plane.

AC: 29, Hit Points 81/81
FORT: +13, REFL: +10, WILL: +17

Magic Vestment
in effect, duration 12 hours (+3 enhancement bonus to shield, raising Brisarion's AC to 29)

[sblock=Spells Prepared]- 0-Level: Detect Magic x 2, Create Water, Light x 2,
- 1st Level: Bless, Command, Remove Fear, Divine Favor, Shield of Faith, Obscuring Mist, Doom + Protection from Evil
- 2nd Level: Consecrate, Hold Person x 2, Lesser Restoration, Silence, Resist Energy + Spiritual Weapon
- 3rd Level: Daylight, Invisibility Purge, Magic Circle vrs. Evil, Summon Monster III, Dispel Magic + Magic Vestment
- 4th Level: Freedom of Movement, Summon Monster IV, Dismissal, Divine Power + Holy Smite
- 5th Level: Break Enchantment, Righteous Might, True Seeing, Symbol of Sleep + Flame Strike
- 6th Level: Banishment, Heal, Heroes Feast + Blade Barrier[/sblock]

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Longren's charge manages to strike the creature in front of him, but his blow is not as devastating as he had hoped. The bodaks are resistant to his weapon! As he continues to swing, it feels as if his axe is being struck back with continual force that practically halves the effect of his attacks. (26 damage to B3)

Rhun's spell is highly effective. Two of the bodaks are engulfed in a mystic swirl of energy which seems to devour them in a powerful vortex. (B4 and B5 are banished)

Thanee

First Post
Celine

OOC: Oh, good, does that mean only one save for me, then?

Using "Averting Eyes" (so they have Concealment from my attacks)

EDIT: Oops! I just noticed, that it is Silhouette and not me, that is in range to them. So forget this post...

Remove ads