Airwalkrr's Maure Castle IC Chapter 1: The Great Hall

Thanee

First Post
Celine

Celine casts a spell (extended Heroism), then says: “Well, it won't hurt to take a look at its aura. And if it seems something that might be of use for us, I can probably get it here without the need of crossing the water, so... let's give it a try.”

Afterwards, the sorceress casts another spell (Detect Magic) and moves close enough to be within 60 ft. of the chalice, concentrating to learn something from its aura, if it is magical.

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Silhouette and Brisarion move north, examining the walls alongside them as they go. The niches are generally completely empty, no doubt looted long ago of their most precious possessions. They have been filled in the meantime with a layer of dust and cobwebs. From time to time you come across a shattered vessel, damaged piece of art, or rusted metal that might once have been a sword or other tool, but nothing of value fills the niches, and none of it has any special color anyway. Eventually the edge of a north wall comes into view with a door at the end, but at the moment your light just catches the edge of it without much detail.

Celine moves closer to the chalice, casting two spells as she does so. The chanting from the spell words echoes throughout the hallway before fading away giving you a sense of the true largeness of the chamber. Celine examines the chalice with her spell and detects the presence of magic.
GM: I am making a few assumptions here. First, I am assuming that everyone has at least one light source (magic weapon, torch, etc.) that illuminates their paths. Second, I assume you are sticking reasonably close together so I will assume Longren is with Celine.

Two rounds have passed. Brisarion and Silhouette have taken two double moves north while Celine and Longren have moved to within 60' of the chalice. Celine cast heroism in rd 1 and detect magic in rd 2. I will assume she is studying it for two more rounds to get the spellcraft check. Will Brisarion and Silhouette continue northward in the meantime?

Longren

"I don't like this. Why's the cup glowing?" Longren says in a whisper. Staying close to Celine he keeps shifting his axe from one shoulder to the other. "Looks like this place hasn't been used in years..." Crouching down he peers into the water, sniffing above it.

[sblock]Longren has darkvision 60ft, so he's not carrying a light source.

Can I use Survival to determine if the water is fresh or safe for drinking?[/sblock]

airwalkrr

Adventurer
The water of this pool is amber in color, a bit murky, and moves just slightly, as if a small but constant tidal influx were at work upon it. Its bottom cannot be seen because of a haze caused by an admixture of the coloration, the murkiness, and the light shed by a chalice which is set upon a raised twenty-foot round area at the center of the pool.

As Longren examines the water, he ascertains that it is fresh water, but that is hardly suitable for drinking.

Shayuri

First Post
"A door," Silhouette notes, "That's encouraging. Lets get a closer look."

She glances around, "Still no colors though. Well, maybe on the door."

With that, the sly sorceress goes to get a better look at the portal ahead.

Rhun

First Post
Brisarion follows Silhouette to the door, his longsword in hand, and his eyes scanning the surrounding shadows for any sign of danger. The cleric didn't like this place at all, and he wasn't about to let his guard down.

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Brisarion and Silhouette come up close to the door, keeping an eye on their surroundings. The door is about four feet wide and seven feet high. It is made of oak and bound with iron, and while it seems immensely old, it has nevertheless managed to remain in very good condition. It was either made to last or protected by some sort of preservation magic. Further east, another door comes into view at the edge of your light.

Meanwhile, Celine focuses on her spell and begins to learn a bit about the magic of the chalice. It radiates a faint magical aura of the evocation school. As she watches the chalice closely under the examination of her spell, she can see that part of its sparkle is not due to magic. The chalice is made of very fine silver. It must be quite valuable!
GM: I do not think Google Docs presently has enough functionality for these maps. For example, I cannot find a way to distinguish doors from walls. So I am going to be uploading them to the thread for the time being. During battles, I might use Google Docs so players can edit them on their turn.

Attachments

• greathall.xls
    17 KB · Views: 96

Thanee

First Post
Celine

“It does, indeed, radiate magic, though it cannot be said for sure, whether it is the chalice itself, that is empowered, or some kind of trap. I could use a spell to move it away from there out of a hopefully safe distance, or we just leave it there,” Celine says, still not sure what to do with it.

Shayuri

First Post
"Hmm." Silhouette looks the door over, then down the wall at the next one.

"Door number one...or two? Come on."

She heads to the east, wanting to check out this new development as well.

Thanee

First Post
Celine

“Maybe we should see what else is here, this chamber is rather huge, before we begin exploring the doors?” Celine proposes.

Remove ads