• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

AL Intro Pamphlet for Brand New Players

DocSharpe

Explorer
Edit (11/25/2015): Since it looks like I've gotten most of the feedback I'm going to get, I wanted to share the completed pamphlet. I'll try to act as a custodian in case people have more ideas/feedback. The goal was to create something which can be handed to a new player (who shows up 5 minutes before game start), which gives them enough information to get started but lets them know there is more in the ALPG which is relevant. (To be clear...it's not intended as a replacement for the ALPG)

The format was suggested as a bookmark, since it's something people might keep. I've set up the file so that it will be suitable for people who have access to double sided printing, and those who don't.

Document Link: http://imgur.com/bqeLJ6V

Original Thread:

Has anyone created a good pamphlet about Adventurer's League. Something which lays out who we are, what the basic idea is, and the 5 (or so) things you need to know about playing with us? Yes, we've got the ALPG online, but the reality is that most casual players won't go online to get the Basic Rules, let alone the AL Players Guide, and having copies printed out is usually just a waste of paper. They're coming to a LGS to quickly jump in a game. Relying on the DM to convey the intro based on what they happen to know leads to a lot of variance in what new players are told. Especially since many people show up *right* at game start, and any time you have with a new player is usually getting them a pregen, and a DCI card. I have some players who still don't know (or pretend not to know) things like why they shouldn't have immediately tossed the DCI card we gave them in the trash, how dividing up magic items is supposed to be handled, or even what source material is allowed. For example, we had a player running an Eladrin "corsair" for three weeks before the DM realized it wasn't just flavor text on a high elf rogue. It led to a long argument about "How was he supposed to know the material from the DMG and his brother's home game wouldn't be allowed?", and how we should let him continue because he's already started. (Before you ask, no, we didn't let him) If no one has created something like this, I'd be willing to pull together people's ideas on what would be useful and draft something. I do believe it needs to be very light, and digestible at a glance.

Last edited:

Pauper

That guy, who does that thing.
This is one of those things that sounds easy until you start thinking about how to actually implement the solution. For instance, given the new player questions I can recall having heard/been asked off the top of my head:

- How do I create a character?
- Can I be evil?
- What is a 'storyline season'?
- What are 'factions'?
- How do I figure out which faction my character would join?
etc.

...I honestly believe that nothing shy of the ALPG will suffice to cover all these questions. You certainly couldn't answer all of them on a single sheet of paper without basically making all the answers 'see p. X of the ALPG/Basic Rules', at which point it's a valid question why the pamphlet exists if its only purpose is to guide people to the ALPG.

With that said, you could probably make a 'new player' version of the ALPG by including the first seven pages of the current ALPG, the 'Code of Conduct' for participants, and the text from the 'Faction Guide' to the end of the document. That's still a lot of material for a new player to digest, but it covers much of what a new player needs to know.

I think that's as small a document as could be proposed that would be both useful and relatively comprehensive. Anything less runs the risk of leaving out material that would be useful to some new player.

--
Pauper

kalani

First Post
I don't know of any such pamphlet, but should you wish to create one it should have the following information:

• Difference between Organized Play and Home Play: DMs/Players have less freedom to go off the rails; more portability; and rules differences (no rolled stats/limited character options, alignment restrictions etc).
  • Story Origin:What is a story origin; the three story origins; the allowed rules for the current story origin; and a comment directing them to the PG for the other two story origins. Ties in with the above.
  • Logsheets: Go over the logsheet and the reasons why keeping an accurate logsheet is necessary.
  • Faction Guide: A brief description of the Faction mechanics (5 factions; renown; faction ranks). Make certain to discuss the faction charity mechanic, and the fact that the faction leaders have instructed all members to get along with the other factions.
  • Basics of DnD: Briefly describe the 3 d20 rolls (Attack, Save, Ability Check); advantage/disadvantage
  • Rebuilding: Briefly describe rebuilding options.
  • Conduct: Briefly touch on the CoC. Make certain to discuss working together, and that undermining other PCs is prohibited.
  • Website/Player's Guide: Direct the players to the dndAL website, dndAL FAQ, and player's guide for further information.
Other things can be added as desired, but honestly - I believe all players should have an understanding of the character creation rules (p3-6 of the players guide), the Code of Conduct (part 3), and the FAQ answers from the Player's Guide.

Edit: As Pauper said above, it will be hard to condense this information into a simple handout. Not only will such a handout lack important information, but I am a firm believer in personal interaction. Rather than giving a pamphlet, I would instead speak with them personally and go over the above topics verbally. I find it takes me about 3min to give new players the rundown, hand them a pregen and a logsheet, and direct them to the PG, website, and FAQ for further information. I also make certain to be available by telling new players to feel free to ask any (and all) questions they might have.

IMHO - a pamphlet would only be good for enticing new players to the program

• They are best used as a marketing device, something you can place on the counter which might encourage someone to come to the program.
  • Once they arrive however, personal interaction is what will sell the program to them.

Last edited:

Tyranthraxus

Explorer
I would keep it at one page or 1 two side page. Anymore than that is too much and new players will simply either lose it easily.

In place of that I actually just hand out my networking cards. Has the facebook group details for my local area, my mobile number and my email address. Ive picked up a lot of players from that.

Pamphlets are designed to really tell people about the event and to draw the prospective gamer in... they arnt really for telling people ABOUT the system.. the mechanics etc. We already have documents for that. A Time, a cost ? , a place and what they might need to bring is really all that needs to be on it.

Tyranthraxus

Explorer
I gave out the Quick start guide a while back until I ran out of printed copies. Most people actually looked over it at the table and left it behind (some took it with them).

DocSharpe

Explorer
I think I am going to take a stab at this. I'll try to limit it to much less than one page...perhaps a half-sheet card which can double as a bookmark. I think Tyranthraxus is right, in most cases, it will get left behind, so short, sweet and just the basics. Turns out, there are some good bit.ly links (bit.ly/alguide & bit.ly/dndbasic) so it will be easy enough to use those and say "for more information..."

Koren n'Rhys

Explorer
I'm interested in seeing what you come up with DocSharpe. Actually, I'd lay them out 3/pg, so it really IS more of a bookmark - neat idea!

I think that's the right direction to take here - A VERY simple handout on "What is the AL", essentially just highlighting what differentiates OP from home play. Those links for more info - the PG and free Basic rules for sure, maybe the Quickstart too? Everything else is in the PG for the current season and will be explained at the table.

A brand new FLGS opened a week ago in my town and I'm working with the owners to drum up interest in AL once they're set up on WPN. These would be a great thing to have on the counter to get people asking about it.

DocSharpe

Explorer
Here's a first draft. Room for a lot of improvement, but it gets us a strawman to start with. Going with Koren n'Rhys's idea that 3/page might make good bookmarks, since people who would want to actually push this kind of things could stick them in people's books. So ignore the middle column, except for perhaps the notes... http://imgur.com/sjzbbyv

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads