Al-Qadim: Land of Fate (5e conversion)

I love this idea, [MENTION=20323]Quickleaf[/MENTION]. I'd replace the word 'Inspiration' with 'Fate' thereby tying in the 2e idea of invoking the power of Fate without having to add a whole new mechanic.

So I'm pitching Al-Qadim to my playgroup this Friday and have been working on a PowerPoint covering the main ideas behind the campaign as well as the special considerations used in character creation.

In homage to the importance of character kits in the original edition, I'm going to suggest my players start by picking a specialized background first followed by a limited choice of class, race, etc. respective to their background. For instance, a character who had chosen the Desert Rider (background) would be required to be a Fighter, Ranger, or Rogue from an Al-Badian society. Each background would include a unique Fate (Inspiration) ability befitting the role.

Do do you guys think this would be too limiting or complicated? I'm wanting to emphasize the importance of role playing and help immerse my players into the uniqueness of Zakhara.

I think it really depends on what you want to do.

If you want the feel of the setting, then I think the strategy is to throw in a few quick high level adjustments plus some broad hooks to get the players into the game.

Then you figure out what sort of chracters your players might be wanting to play in concept and build off of those. No need to build rules for the Sha'ir if absolutely no one is interested in playing a genie wizard.

If, on the other hand, you want to bring in more of the original game (which I think 5e is suited for in a way the last two editions were not) then you probably do need to be more kit focused.

[MENTION=6533]Dr. Strangemonkey[/MENTION] Sounds like it will be a blast! I'll be very interested to hear how your adaptation of Princes of the Apocalypse to Zakhara (or whatever setting you're using) goes.

My only thought at the moment is about the whole playbook/hero point thing. One trick you can do is provide alternate uses for Inspiration (instead of gaining advantage) unique to each character archetype. For example, the Beggar-Prince might be able to spend Inspiration to pass off a flawless disguise or fade into the background of a group of people who simply assume he belongs there.

My notes thus far do feature a LOT of material on which themes or stunts would be appropriate to which playbook.

I should put the list up here soon, a fair number of the kits are undergoing some conceptual reinterpretation. The Faris, for example, is now far more about dueling and romantic chivalry than simple service to the faith.

[MENTION=6533]Dr. Strangemonkey[/MENTION] please do put the list up. It'd be interesting to see how others are doing it.

I pitched the campaign to my players Friday with a PowerPoint and it went over really well. They have all picked character concepts based off the original kits and are working on back stories.

One of my players did infact choose to play as a Sha'ir so we'll be using the one [MENTION=20323]Quickleaf[/MENTION] proposed. She wants to choose the Warlock Pact of the Tome so I just ruled that her familiar can fetch ritual spells for her instead of having any combat capibilities.

1. Askar (Citizen-Bravo) - a shield held without understanding is weightless, a sword held without a neighbor is bladeless
  2. Corsair (Captain-Lord) - to swim is to survive - if you are fish - but to balance a ship beneath you and trouble behind? that is to thrive
  3. Desert Rider (Freeman-Champion) - the race is not won by the strongest, smartest, or wealthiest but by those who know a brother in the wind
  4. Faris (Sworn-Paragon) - It is not enough simply to duel for the honor of the people, one must live it
  5. Mamluk - Should your chain not stretch from your first memory to your last breath to the throne, then your discipline is naught but weak links
  6. Mercenary-Barbarian - a good watch-dog must not be fooled by city smells and smiles, known ferocity is also helpful
  7. Sha'ir - Emissary of the Elemental Compacts
  8. Academagician - Astrology, numerology, alchemy, oneiromancy... all are but fronds of the same leaf
  9. Clockwork Mage - It is not that cogs, springs, and pendulums require a sorceror, it's that they demand one
  10. Ghul Lord - Necromantic mystics fueled by the negative plans and the asceticism of the flesh
  11. Mageweaver - Wizards for whom art is THE art
  12. Mystic of Nog - An ancient order built on mastery of physical magic
  13. Barber-Sage - Is there a dispute in the bazaar or suq? Then his is the final word.
  14. Beggar-Prince - A prince AMONG beggars, or a PRINCE among beggars? Best to forget the question.
  15. Holy Slayer - a purveyor of dreaded certitude to those in doubt
  16. Ma'trud or Jackal - brigand, spell thief, brute - the outcaste must wear many hats
  17. Merchant-Rogue - the Business of Zakhara is Adventure, and vice versa
  18. Rawun - an inviolate, invaluable, and immaculate repository of tales and wisdom, or so they had better say
  19. Tomb-Robber - the secrets of the past will be no less ancient for being less secret
  20. Pragmatist - Should you find the loregiver blocking your path, try to help her along
  21. Hakima - If the lawgiver turns off the path, 'ware, for the path itself is illusion
  22. Ethocist - If you see the lawgiver on the road, see to the road.
  23. Kahin - if the lawgiver drops her staff, plant it. She has not given you a stick, she has shown you a view.
  24. Mystic - Stay fleet, should you see the lawgiver on the road, you must rush ahead to prepare her coming.
  25. Knight-Errant - A wandering, wondering guest may be less lost than one who never leaves home.
  26. Hidden Dragon - The wyrms of the north have their own business, even if it next door.
  27. Jann - A lowly genie for whom service, nay heroism, has been chosen not compelled.
  28. Emmisary-Spy - we know that you know that we know, we have so much in common!
  29. Vizier - a mortal may be only a mortal...

Last edited:

Ketser

First Post
I see a little problem with Quickleaf's Shai'r.

The gen servant feature allows him to gain a number of extra spells, a ability that replaces the patron bonus spells. But patron's don't grant extra spells known like domains or oaths, they just add a few extra spells for the warlock to choose when he is picking his spells.

I realize it's been a bit, but I am still working on my Al Qadim conversion for Princes of the Apocalypse and I had a quick question:

The adventure spends some significant effort on the 5 FR Factions (Harpers, Order of the Gauntlet, Lord's Alliance, Emerald Enclave, and Zhentarim). For Al Qadim would it make more sense to:

A. Invent/adapt equivalent groups for Zhakara.
B. Go with something like Icons from 13th age and take major players from Zhakara and work them into the setting.
C. Go more granular - watch the characters the PCs make and then pick out relevant relationships that could replace the 5 factions' roles in the adventure.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases