Al-Qadim: Land of Fate (5e conversion)

Nice to see you back, mate! Yes, we're slowly gaining steam.

I'm actually burning the midnight oil working on a Kahin conversion (a Circle of Aged Masters for druids).

Read more: http://www.enworld.org/forum/newreply.php?do=postreply&t=358985#ixzz3zMZbNayO

Thanks, it's very exciting to be a part of this.

Sure! What's an example of what you're thinking?

Oh, I got a LOT:
From the DMG -
  1. Flavors of Fantasy: Scimitar and Sorcery; Swashbuckling
  2. Ability Options: Skill Variants: Background Proficiency (let's us shoo in some of the specific AQ skills)
  3. Hero Points
  4. New Ability Scores: Honor
  5. Adventuring Options: Rest Variants: Desert Climate
From AQ:
  1. Honor, Family, Purity, Hospitality, Piety as Personal Characteristics
  2. Station in Life
  3. Calling Upon Fate
  4. The Evil Eye
  5. Bizarre Economics of the Suq

I've certainly been dabbling in more, but I think these are all fairly easy to spin off of the core products. We could certainly get, for instance, into some of the options presented by the Unearthed Arcana posts.

The "kits as backgrounds" model was something I considered early on. Then I realized that there are 3 types of kits in AD&D Al-Qadim...

I certainly ran into that, too. What made me persist with Backgrounds though is two things:
1. I REALLY liked the way AQ used Kits to push the setting specific character options right up front and put them all on the same level - without making all new classes or having to flip between books while deciding things - you do eventually, but you decide Askar vs Sha'ir first and then pick up the PHB you don't go "Ok, for Fighter I do PHB and then look at Askar backgrounds and for Sha'ir I do PHB then AQ for classes and then AQ or PHB for backgrounds.
2. I think the AQ kits kind of invalidate backgrounds. Like AQ was clearly using kits as backgrounds prior to backgrounds. A lot of products were, but my point is that that set-up creates some inherent dissonance between picking Mageweaver as an Archetype and having something other than Mageweaver as your background.

To solve that I did this:
1. Have everyone start at 4th level
2. Build archetypes where necessary and make them background dependent. So include language, where necessary, along the lines of, 'to pick the Sha'ir archetype you must have either the Sha'ir background; possess a gen familiar; OR have access to a bound genie.'
3. Reduce each kit to a Background.

So you COULD create a Mageweaver who does not have the specific Mageweaver archetype (someone who lost their powers say or who worked with them for years but never displayed the 'true' mystical talent) but not vice-versa - at least not without DM permission. Aladdin, for instance, clearly starts out with the Tomb-Robber background and then picked up the Sha'ir Archetype through multi-classing into Warlock after gaining access to a bound genie.

AND you would NOT need to justify every possible archetype for every possible class because some backgrounds are open to many archetypes, even if others are less so by theme, and the Backgrounds carry all of the 'setting appropriateness' including 'not appropriate to this setting and that's cool.'

I do not think this is necessarily a general solution, but I DO think that having all the kits listed at the background level is a neat option and presents us with some organizational benefits.

Also, crafting a background for every kit IS easier than doing an archetype for every kit - and when I was doing a solo-conversion that was a real consideration.

Last edited:

Thanks [MENTION=6788732]cbwjm[/MENTION] for reminding me about the monk's slowfall ability. Another reason the beggar-thief probably doesn't need a sub-class.

I just put the finishing touches on the rough versions of the fighter sub-classes: Guard and Mamluk Officer. Any thoughts or critique?

I think you could turn the Beggar-thief into a sub-class but you'd need to base it on more direct source material like the Thief of Baghdad or some Wuxia tropes in that vein than on the original kit. Personally, I'd swap slow-fall out and make the theme of the archetype either (A) a dodge tank and/or (B) ambiguity.

At that point you might look at Bard as the class to work the Beggar-Thief off of rather than Rogue.

Though, honestly, Monk actually sounds like a cool base too.

For the two shown:

Are guards distinct from Askar? Because historically Askar are exactly who you would use for that.

And the side bar on Mamelukes is exactly the solution I had for kits into backgrounds, albeit with the priorities reversed.

I'd also be tempted to throw in a free proficiency at 3rd level for Engineering Tools to bring out the military-science aspect of the character type.

Also, in terms of the initial write-up on fighter options? Per Huzuz City of Delights there is a background proficiency anyone can pick up who has access to formal training in Zhakara that lets you throw down with cantrips. So an Eldritch Knight or Arcane Trickster can just come from any relatively civil place, in theory, and certainly from Huzuz in addition to Qutub.

Last edited:

Redthistle

Explorer
Supporter
Your input sought!
One point I've heard brought up a couple times is questioning the 100 year time jump that happened in FR, and claiming AL-QADIM should be insulated from this time jump as well as the Spellplague/Sundering shenanigans. I'd like to hear from you guys and gals what you think about this?

Should I throw together a poll maybe?

About this: avoiding the Spellplague taint is okay with me, but I'm thinking the Sundering could be made to work for AQ.

Since the pantheons for Zakhara are distinct from those in the rest of the FR, perhaps AQ was sheltered from the problems of the rest of the world by its own gods and powerful elementals - pulled into a pocket dimension, or hidden by magical mists, or maybe even a Brigadoon-like separation from the rest of the world.

The latter notion would allow for the denizens of Zakhara to have side-stepped the entire century that passed in the rest of the world, oblivious to all of the changes and troubles that abounded outside its own borders.

Quickleaf

Legend
About this: avoiding the Spellplague taint is okay with me, but I'm thinking the Sundering could be made to work for AQ.

Since the pantheons for Zakhara are distinct from those in the rest of the FR, perhaps AQ was sheltered from the problems of the rest of the world by its own gods and powerful elementals - pulled into a pocket dimension, or hidden by magical mists, or maybe even a Brigadoon-like separation from the rest of the world.

The latter notion would allow for the denizens of Zakhara to have side-stepped the entire century that passed in the rest of the world, oblivious to all of the changes and troubles that abounded outside its own borders.

The pocket dimension, magic mists, endless sleep, or Brigadoon-like separation are interesting ideas.

Right now, we're leaning toward a toolkit approach, covering the baseline setting as it appears in the old AD&D books/boxed sets. Then adding a section about the Great Unbinding (AQ version of the Spellplague), along with sidebars about how to change cities/tribes to account for that change & time jump. We could also add a section about running AQ as coming out of a pocket dimension/magic mist/etc.

So that way it's up to each DM and his/her group how to incorporate Al-Qadim.

Bravesword

First Post
Here is a small preview of the gazzetter that I am currently working:

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Holy Emirates of the Pantheon

Fomerly known as League of the Pantheon or the Pantheist League, the cities of the Crowded Sea that exist at the eastern side of the Golden Gulf and extend their domains as far as the mountain rages of Al-Akara and Al-Sayaj, formed the Holy Emirates of the Pantheon in the last century, a group of semi independent city states that became united to face the threats and perils from the Great Unbinding that were unleashed in the Land of Fate. They used to pay tribute and creed to the Grand Caliph of the Enlightenment Caliphate, but became more independent and even declared their sovereign over the Caliphate over 40 years ago. The current situation is unstable and uncertain, especially due to the position that each heir of the Grand Caliph have to deal with these “rebel provinces”.

Their fate are based upon a concept that venerate only five gods as the True Gods of Zakhara: Hajama the Caorageous, Jauhar the Gemmed, Kor the Venerable, Najm the Adventurous and Selan the Beautiful Moon. They do not accept the worship of any other god in their domains, which is strictly forbidden. Almost all rulers of the Cities of the Emirates of the Pantheon are religious leaders as well, meaning that faith and politics are very related to each other.

In spite of their secular and conservative traditions, the recent formal union of the pantheist cities into a cohesive, independent and unified political entity took everyone by surprise, meaning that they represent today a new power to be recognized into the Land of Fate, since they formally expressed their desire to detach themselves from the Enlightenment Caliphate. The Grand Caliph even sent armies to reattach the Pantheist League into the empire, but the will of the people (guided by their skillfull sheikhs and imans of the Pantheon) renounced the rule of the Grand Caliph. In addition, the brief conflict had a huge cost for trade as well, and considering that the Pantheist League already had a practicably independent management, the sheikhs and the Grand Caliph began peace talks and even signed a treaty, granted a semi autonomous position to the new Holy Emirates of the Pantheon.

Even the recent turmoil that affected the kingdoms and domains of Zakhara did not affected the Emirates with the same intensity. The cities that form the “capital” of each of the Emirates are very united, representing as a result a prosperous development, meaning that in the Cities of the Pantheon poverty and beggars are much lesser than in similar cities of the Pearl Cities, the Cities of the North and the Tuiganate and even the rich cities of the Caliphate, including shinning Huzuz. The city of I’tiraf represent the capital of the Emirates as a whole, holding court from diplomats and representatives of all other lands from Zakhara.

The rulers of the Emirates know that sooner or later their rule of the newly independent kingdom may be challenged again, and they prepared themselves for such uncertainty. Their secular army called “Sword of the True Gods” improved over time, and their soldiers and mamluks are among the best of the Land of Fate. Each soldier never is allowed to serve in their emirate of birth, being placed in another emirate. This practice enforces the concept that they should be loyal to the Pantheist Gods first, the Emirates second, and their homeland third.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

I shall describe each of the cities, considering their recent activity and development in view of the Great Unbinding and the Sundering (we could have a name for this event in Zakhara as well).

Last edited:

Quickleaf

Legend
Interesting stuff [MENTION=61095]Bravesword[/MENTION]! :) Currently, myself and three of the others working on this have moved the heavy design work to Slack which is a great free team platform app. Mostly I've been working on player-side stuff (sub-classes, backgrounds, etc), so it's nice to see someone thinking about how the setting might evolve over the course of the FR's 100 year time jump.

In regards to the Spellplague/Sundering/100 yr jump stuff, the approach that we landed on was simple...

We're going to present the original AD&D setting as the baseline. Then we're going to have a section about the Great Unbinding and how things have changed...this can be in broad strokes, but if we have the energy then we can go for more depth.

Basically, trying to appeal to as many types of DMs/players as possible. Here's an excerpt:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-02-11 at 7.51.42 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-02-11 at 7.51.42 PM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 710

Quickleaf

Legend
Every time you post an excerpt of the work you've done I get a little more excited to seeing the finished product.
:) I had some cool developments on the art front recently.

Besides Rob McCaleb generously donating his Zakhara map for us to use, I am looking into commissioning some sketches from a talented art student, and Mr. Karl Waller himself has graciously agreed to donate a couple of his old Al-Qadim illustrations to the project! If you recall, he did most of the interior black/white art in the AQ line :D

We're doing tons of writing now, but I'm keeping layout in mind as well. If anyone can recommend a good source for golden damask (?) border art like the kind in the AQ books let me know? I've found a couple options, but nothing really sold me on it yet.

The final release will be free on DM's Guild.

It will be accompanied by a separate release of template zip file for others who want to produce quality stuff on DM's Guild for Al-Qadim.

Personally, I have a killer adventure in the works that involves the yak-folk, and I know another of the guys working on this project is itching to do an Al-Qadim bestiary. Interesting stuff down the road.

Quickleaf

Legend
The Mageweaver

I wanted to share some sub-class design thoughts, so folks can see how I'm tackling some of the more challenging conversion tasks of this project. So you can take a peek inside my mind as a fledgling game designer, and also offer your critique.

So, I'm converting the Mageweaver kit from The Complete Sha'ir's Handbook into an arcane tradition.

Step 1: The concept & big picture
If you're not familiar with AL-QADIM or it's been a while since you read your books, wizards in the setting don't follow the traditional 8 spell schools. Instead, they have a bunch of weird and wonderful variations unique to the setting. The Mageweaver is one of those.

I decided it fit best as an arcane tradition because there's mention of spell prep and it involves taking a long time to do magic...things already baked into the wizard class with preparing spells and the Arcane Recovery feature. Plus, the flavor definitely does NOT feel like sorcerer's innate magic or a warlock's patron magic. A bard college could maaaybe be a fit, but then the name Mageweaver made be go with the wizard.

So...what kind of wizard is a Mageweaver?

Flavor-wise, it embodies some of the mystical-ization surrounding silk worm harvesting and the weaver "guilds" of South Asia. There's also undertones of an early artificer here. I'd think it might be more about subtle magic, but no, you can cast fireballs from your tapestries as easily as you can case mirror image!

Mechanically, it's built on what is essentially a Spell Point system, allowing the mageweaver to cannibalize higher level spells for more lower level spells. It's a bit messy. The 5e DMG already describes a solid Spell Point system as an option for any caster, so it's important that this conversion could work independently of (or in concert with) that DMG system.

Also, even though I always believe in making any kind of game design drip with flavor, it bears extra mention that one of my design goals is to crank up the flavor on the Mageweaver to distinguish it from a Spell Point caster.

Step 2: Class Features, the initial pass
Next, I'm looking to grab key pieces of text from the AD&D Mageweaver kit description that seem likely to translate into class features. After reading through those, I begin to sort them roughly according to the levels wizards get sub-class features: 2nd level (two features), 6th level, 10th level, and 14th level. Then I jot down my thoughts about translating each feature into 5e.

LEVEL 2
Their spellbooks are huge tapestries with intricate patterns woven into them.
Easy enough to re-skin spellbook as silks/carpets/tapestries. Maybe a tapestry is difficult to carry, but the others are no problem. Probably adding something about “all their spells have material component (piece of fabric), and existing no-cost material component spells change their component to (a piece of fabric).” For flavor, throw in weaver’s tools proficiency.

Probably not enough to justify a feature yet, at least IMHO, so maybe combine it with this…

Mageweavers are able to cast spells only through their weaving… Mageweavers must take care to protect their woven spells from [fire, water, and other sorts of damage].
In keeping with 5e’s removing most restrictions/ drawbacks from classes, the move here would be to grant a perk for casting with weavings. Also, it seems fair to give them mending for free to offset any potential vulnerability of their weavings.

LEVEL 2
Different spells are woven into different items, which are kept in scroll tubes or other protective casings.
Hmm... Conceptually, there’s 3 tropes associated with textiles in Arabian Adventures/gaming, that I think could make for a nice multi-choice feature.
  • You’ve got the flying carpet (in 5e that’s a very rare magic item that typically isn’t encountered till 11th+ level). A seriously toned down version that hovers only 5 feet off the ground and moves at the PC's walking speed miiight not be overpowered at 2nd level...right? As an offset, it could require an action/bonus action to activate or deactivate.
  • You’ve got the fancy silk sash/scarf/turban/veil, which is usually a means of evoking a hero who’s more unique and badass. Maybe this could grant advantage on saves vs. spells. Or just vs. spells from a school of your choice? As an offset, it could require attunement like a magic item.
  • You’ve got the magic tapestry which usually is associated with ritual-type magic or super mystical / big nasty spells. Maybe this allows you to cast all wizard spells without consuming material components? I kinda like that!

LEVEL 6
They have learned to trap magical energies within the warp and weave of silken scarves and tapestries and use those energies to cast spells.
This sounds awfully similar to the wizard’s Arcane Recovery, doesn’t it? So maybe some kind of boosted Arcane Recovery feature when they use/have access to a weaving (carpet, silk, or tapestry)?

LEVEL 10
In order to prepare their spells, a mageweaver needs to have time alone to weave the spells into the silk. This requires six square inches of silk for every level of a spell. It takes an hour to weave every level of a spell.
Well, that time requirement is ludicrous because 1 hour/spell level prep time would mean by 7th level, a wizard would require 23 hours to prepare all their spells from scratch. Yeah. I think I can safely cut that part right out!

But there’s an opportunity here to play up the “artisan weaver doing slow magic” thing, and tie in the “these guys get lots of low-level spells” thing from _The Complete’s Sha’ir’s Handbook_. Maybe during spell prep using weaver’s tools, the mageweaver can sacrifice one (and only one) higher level spell to gain a number of extra 1st level spells equal to the sacrificed slot’s spell level? (i.e. sacrifice 6th level slot, gain 6 extra 1st-level spells)

The ideas here is to encourage a creative play style that maximizes use of 1st-level spells some wizard players may look down at once they’re higher level. And also involves a bit of forward planning as in, which suits the feel of the Mageweaver well I think.

LEVEL 14
Mageweavers…may never learn to cast spells above the sixth level. To compensate for this, [they] gain additional low level spells…
To modernize this feature, we need to use a carrot instead of a stick. Old school D&D was good with the stick approach. 5e definitely is about the carrot. :) So...we’ve got to consider a way to incentivize casting lower level spells. Luckily 5e has a method baked in for us: casting lower level spells with higher level spell slots.

Also consider that in 5e spells of 6th level and higher were treated differently by the designers - you get fewer spell slots of 6th-9th level. So that’s our cut off. Since a wizard doesn’t get 6th level spells until reaching 11th level, that means this feature would be meaningless before then. Thus, this has to be the capstone feature of the sub-class.

Using 6th level and higher spell slots to cast lower level spells (that don't already have additional effects if cast at higher level) does…

…something magical!

That part about "doesn't already have additional effects if cast at higher level" is relevant because most of those spells tend to be about damage dealing. So this is a subtle way to encourage the Mageweaver to select exploration/roleplaying spells all while burning higher level spell slots on lower level spells.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-02-13 at 5.49.21 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-02-13 at 5.49.21 PM.png
    208 KB · Views: 610
Last edited:

gweinel

Explorer
This is really great work!

Few days ago i exchange some tweets with Wolfang Baur (I am sure he has an account here, but i don't remember the nickname) regarding Al Qadim. It was the first days of the dmsguild and Wolfang somewhere said that it would be great to see Al Qadim again in 5e through dmsguild.
Here is the tweets. https://twitter.com/monkeyking/status/690302161226326017

Maybe a contact should be attempted? His input would be great! :)

Quickleaf

Legend
[MENTION=2165]gweinel[/MENTION] You're totally right! Thanks for the link! I've chatted with Wolfgang before, and wrote a little piece for Kobold Quarterly too. He's a great guy. :) And his work on the AQ line was very influential for me as a gamer, writer, and fledgling game designer.

I think his handle on here is [MENTION=22474]Monkey King[/MENTION]? Wolfgang, I'd love to get your feedback here!

The project in brief (to avoid having to wade thru 13 pages of posts -- I'll update the OP with this too)...

Myself and three other gentlemen are taking point on a quality conversion of Al-Qadim to 5e, to be published for free on DM's Guild. The intention is to (a) rejuvenate interest in this wonderful setting, (b) provide a foundation for future publishers to put out AQ stuff on DM's Guild, and (c) offer both the traditional setting and a post-Spellplague setting (what Zakharans know as the "Great Unbinding" of the Seal of Jafar al-Samal) for DMs to choose from.

I'm pretty good with layout and I've also written a few freelance gaming articles as well as Tales of the Caliphate Nights for Paradigm Concepts/Green Ronin. The others committed to the project have skills in copyediting, game design, and writing. We're working via the Slack app and have done some solid of work so far! I've attached a PDF of our working table of contents.

I've been in touch with Matt McElroy, Director of Publishing & Marketing at DrivethruRPG, who patiently fielded my legal questions.

Also, we have some terrific artists who are donating to the project. Karl Waller said he'd graciously donate a couple of black and white pieces from the AD&D line :) Though we need to work out who has the rights. Also, Rob McCaleb donated a fantastic fan-made map of Zakhara. Woot!

Lastly, I'm looking to pay out of pocket for an art student - the talented tea-for-jbass to do a few sketches or a cover.

EDIT: There are two new Al-Qadim products on DM's Guild at this time. Neither are affiliated with us.

The first, Al-Qadim Classes and Backgrounds by Brent "VAD" Rogers is a quick n' dirty guide with low reviews. Not much else to say.

The second, Al-Qadim Archetypes - Scimitars Against the Dark by Jeremy Forbing does a great job of putting a darker Cthulu-esque spin on Arabian Adventures. You may recognize this title from the article "Scimitars Against the Dark" by a certain Mr. Wolfgang Baur in DRAGON #198! I think Jeremy did a terrific job and I connected with him via Facebook to trade notes - he was stoked to hear what we were doing, and I think his work should be plenty compatible with what we're doing.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-02-14 at 3.57.01 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-02-14 at 3.57.01 PM.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 813
Last edited:

Remove ads