Al-Qadim: Land of Fate (5e conversion)

Quickleaf

Legend
Any ETA on this? Using the stuff already on DMs Guild for conversions, but if that is going into the Adventurer's Guide would rather quote one item then 3 or 4 :)

OP has been silent since March. I'm starting to fear the project is not moving forward. Here's hoping that's not the case.

No ETA currently. Getting it done right was always more important to us than getting it done by a certain deadline. If you search through DM's Guild, you'll find LOTS of material with little to no playtesting, and rather sloppy editing. That's not our style.

Also this is a very big project being done for free by us in our spare time; very few things on DMs Guild are this big. And a lot is happening behind the scenes. Our main design work is not taking place on ENWorld but in a more private Slack channel more conducive to actual real-time work & file sharing.

Since folks seem to be chomping at the bit, we are prepping a playtest file of the sha'ir which we'll upload to DMs Guild soon. Again, no specific timelines.

As always, like I mentioned in this thread, if your group is in a position to do some playtesting, feel free to PM and I may be able to send you playtest materials.

Saelrin

Villager
I, for one, am glad for you to take your time for a quality product. I first started playing D&D in 1979-80 in college. My group somehow did not play in the original Al-Qadim, though we did hit a lot of the adventures and modules out there. The group I play with today,(including some from the college group) is doing Monte Cook's "the Strange", mixed in with 5E. I could easily see a recursion in The Strange, based on D&D 5E and Al-Qadim. I can also see that your work could be used as a very good lesson for "Inclusion", considering today's political climate. Everyone deserves a place at the table....

Olive

Explorer
I, for one, am glad for you to take your time for a quality product. I first started playing D&D in 1979-80 in college. My group somehow did not play in the original Al-Qadim, though we did hit a lot of the adventures and modules out there. The group I play with today,(including some from the college group) is doing Monte Cook's "the Strange", mixed in with 5E. I could easily see a recursion in The Strange, based on D&D 5E and Al-Qadim. I can also see that your work could be used as a very good lesson for "Inclusion", considering today's political climate. Everyone deserves a place at the table....

Man, if you make posts like that with your second post, then you'll be a really great past of this community.

secretchief

First Post
I recently started playing 5th edition as a player and kept options available to be GM for the others if I found a good conversion from AD&D to 5th edition in Al-Qadim (or in AD&D, I don't care). This seems awesome as a starting point and I am amazed at the great work done by OP and others here. Hopefully I can get to playtest this soon!

Olospreckler

Villager
Hey, [MENTION=20323]Quickleaf[/MENTION], I really like the work you're doing on this conversion. I'm soon going to be running an Arabian Nights campaign that's basically Al-Qadim by a different name, and I'd be keen to do some playtesting.

Ralt Gaither

First Post
[MENTION=20323]Quickleaf[/MENTION] This project seems serious. Hopefully some gems of it will emerge in the near future. I am in the process of converting my campaign - that has been continuously running since 1981, and in Zakhara since 1995, among other places of the Multiverse - to 5th Edition. The Sha'ir conversion looks very good, with a lot of thought put into class balance issues. Would be very interested partaking in the playtest, if that offer is still valid. Also liked your Al-Qadim PbM Campaign, although it seems to have paused for the moment?

Last edited:

Quickleaf

Legend
PMed you :)

[MENTION=20323]Quickleaf[/MENTION] This project seems serious. Hopefully some gems of it will emerge in the near future. I am in the process of converting my campaign - that has been continuously running since 1981, and in Zakhara since 1995, among other places of the Multiverse - to 5th Edition. The Sha'ir conversion looks very good, with a lot of thought put into class balance issues. Would be very interested partaking in the playtest, if that offer is still valid. Also liked your Al-Qadim PbM Campaign, although it seems to have paused for the moment?

Yes, even though I get busy, I always come back to the Al-Qadim project. We've invested a lot of energy in it and I intend to see the project through with the best quality we can muster as a fan effort.

Terrific that you've managed to keep your game going for so long!

Glad to hear you found the Sha'ir balanced. Others have expressed concern about it being OP, so that's good to hear.

Yep, playtest offer is still on the table. PM me?

I'm working on reviewing/minor editing/formatting MessiahMushroom's terrific spell compilation. Sooo many great spells :) He and I had fun with that.

Yeah, sadly my PbP Al-Qadim game seems to have paused. Jago and Foxbytes got married I believed, and there was a move involved, and then other players stopped posting as well. I'm afraid that's the hazard of play-by-post - you win some you lose some!

Ralt Gaither

First Post
[MENTION=20323]Quickleaf[/MENTION] There's the 5 posts requirement for sending PM's, and, as can be noticed, I haven't exactly been a very talkative member of the great community so far :blush:, I'd be very thankful if you could PM me, as I suppose it's OK to answer received PM's, even though you haven't posted the required amount of posts?

Remove ads