• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 Alchemist WIP based off of Pathfinder/MoE3.5 HELP ME!

BRKNdevil

Explorer
Here is the link to it
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8wfBieQIbTza1FoTERYV0VzOVU/view?usp=sharing

I based it on the pathfinder alchemist, with some aspects of the Eberron alchemist from the Magic of Eberron. I removed the idea of extracts and just made it spells and put them somewhere in the middle of damage and magic like a paladin and Ranger but at ranged with a minor in support.

Its to much of an issue to type all of that so that it works here.

Remember constructive comments since this is a wip and everything can be put to change.

As for reasons on why i did this. I was bored. nobody was commenting on the other things i did and so didn't know how to advance their so i chose to do something new.

As for the role it fills. I guess a generalist who can specialize.

Some things that still need to be figured out are Grand Discoveries, Spell list(would like a lot of help here), some more Discoveries and Realizations. Also i need a lot of help balancing out the Archetypes ( called Academic Focus here).

Redthistle

Explorer
Supporter
Because it's late in my part of the world I don't have time to really examine this tonight.

At a glance, it looks pretty good. When I get back to this for a more in-depth reply I'll include the links for a couple of other contributors versions of an artificer class. One was by DiBastet on the Giants in the Playground site, and the other was an ENWorld thread: Artificer Class by Donusdeus.

Re the spell lists: I see you asked for help deciding what belonged there. I recall that one of the artificer work-ups simply stated that the artificer could access any cleric, druid, or wizard spells. Working up a list specific to the alchemist is a good idea.

BRKNdevil

Explorer
Ok, so i looked at ones you posted and i understand sort of why you like them. but honestly i'm finding them to overpowered and mix with the rules awfully weird when it comes to multiclassing. I tried to keep with the mix of possibilities that the original alchemist had with its 3/4 bab and half casting support along with the possibility of boosting abilities through drugs. That is why i went with half casting, the bombs as mundane things and having the option to grab extra attacks. the ones shown have an awfully lot of features to go with that full casting and feels just a little to good.

Another poster suggested i am giving them to many bombs and that was an issue in pathfinder. I am trying to figure out how to reduce the number of bombs available per day, reduce the goodness of discoveries so i can reduce the cost of usage to a single use of a bomb. So far i'm thinking reducing the bomb usage to Prof. Bonus + Int Mod. per long rest and i wish for more input.

I decided to keep with the normal method of item creation due to the change in way magic items interact with players and the balance of the game. which means i'm not putting any features that do such a thing because it unbalances the character and the game. sort of like how the Artificer was a tier one in 3.5

BRKNdevil

Explorer
:.-( will i not find anymore input when it comes to this topic? Will I have to send this untested class in with my players as a DM PC to see how well it functions? I'd really rather not. Is there any more input anyone would like to put in?

BRKNdevil

Explorer
So a new unearthed arcana for eberron came out and so i'm going to adjust the Base Class with this new information in mind. Probably minor, I'm finding that the infuse potion could just be a discovery, but what are everyone elses suggestions? I am still trying to figure out how to adjust the bomb damage. As is, i think that the class's ability to nova can be reduced by reducing the damage die to a D4 but without making it seem to weak. I'm also going to keep the reduction in daily uses as well.

BRKNdevil

Explorer
Added a discovery, moved mutagens and cognatagens into a single thing and simplified the mechanics, then moved that to a discover, added the potion making ability from the most recent UA as a discovery. Need to rebalance the madman and would like suggestions. Broke up some discoveries and finally, reduced the damage of the bomb to d4s. I would like further assessments on the balance of the alchemist.

BRKNdevil

Explorer
Added Realizations, Did some rebalancing on chirugeon and madman, made a spell list that needs peer review. I would like to reduce the spells to around 10-15 for levels 1st through 3rd and 5-10 for 4th and 5th. I would like at least 3-5 spells be able to benefit from Concentrated Dose Class Feature for all levels of spells. So i'm hoping people will tell me why some spells should be added and removed. I added a separate list for the new expansion. Anything with a ** is something i will not remove.

BRKNdevil

Explorer
So i have been working on the spell list with suggestions from multiple boards (still needs work), and now I messed with the madman line
I'm trying to decide whether or not to keep it as is where they can use their spell attack roll for melee attacks while granting their enemies an advantage to attack them, or if i should switch it to a reckless attack at 2nd level and make its so that while under the effects of the concoction they can use their spell attack instead of their normal attack rolls.

Remove ads