Alignment and a Prisoner...

hong

WotC's bitch
LuYangShih said:
Wraithdrit asked for opinions on the situation presented. Most operate from the standpoint is playing by the standard rules of the game, and point out what actions should be taken based on that.

If you really think that the rules mandate one particular interpretation of something as innately amorphous as alignment, you haven't been in enough alignment wars.

If the DM is just going to ignore those rules,

Nobody has ignored the rules regarding alignment. Some people, however, think there is only one way to apply those rules. These people are rather naive in a way that would be charming, if not for the way in which their ramblings tend to eat up bandwidth.

and doesn't really care what anyone else thinks, why is he on this board in the first place?

For fun. Are you having fun?

Tell me, Hong, what part of messageboard discussion do you not understand?

Ah, I see you ARE having fun.

LuYangShih

First Post
I always have fun. Now, I have been on these boards since the pre dawn of 3.0E, so I have seen plenty of alignment wars. It is precisely because of those alignment threads that I think there should be one way, and one way alone to view alignment. It is a mechanic just as much as an attack roll, or a saving throw, integrally tied to the rules, particularly in regards to spells and classes. It should be clearly defined and applied, otherwise it causes far too many headaches for both the DM and players.

hong

WotC's bitch
LuYangShih said:
I always have fun. Now, I have been on these boards since the pre dawn of 3.0E, so I have seen plenty of alignment wars. It is precisely because of those alignment threads that I think there should be one way, and one way alone to view alignment.

Yes, and if only there weren't all these _people_ playing the game, it would be perfect. It's all these _people_ who cause all the trouble in the world, I tell you. If only we all loved each other a bit more, there would be no more war and suffering. IYKWIM,AITYD.

It is a mechanic just as much as an attack roll, or a saving throw, integrally tied to the rules, particularly in regards to spells and classes. It should be clearly defined and applied, otherwise it causes far too many headaches for both the DM and players.

... or the DM could just stop obsessing over every action the players take, like some sort of trainspotting weirdo.

Hong "kumbayaaa" Ooi

Last edited:

LuYangShih

First Post
You know, Hong, I might be able to buy that line about the DM if it was not for the fact practically every one I have ever seen does do that. Particularly with classes that rely on a certain alignment for class features, like Paladins, and to a lesser extent Monks and Barbarians.

As for the other, alignment is a mechanic, a rule. If it is to function properly, it should be applied the same way every single time it comes into play. If it is not, you might as well junk it altogether, as it will become more hassle than it is worth.

hong

WotC's bitch
LuYangShih said:
You know, Hong, I might be able to buy that line about the DM if it was not for the fact practically every one I have ever seen does do that. Particularly with classes that rely on a certain alignment for class features, like Paladins, and to a lesser extent Monks and Barbarians.

Since you didn't quote, I have no idea what you're talking about.

However, I'll assume you're trying to dispute the line that the DM is final arbiter on how alignment works in his/her game. In that case, you have demonstrated that all the DMs you know tend to run alignment in much the same manner. This has no bearing at all on how the other six million DMs in the world like to run alignments in their games. It certainly has no bearing at all on whether the other six million DMs in the world should change their games to fit your circumscribed experience of things.

In other words, your comments are again like nipples on a guy: interesting, but useless.

Insert NIPPLE CLAMPS OF EXQUISITE PAIN comment here.

As for the other, alignment is a mechanic, a rule. If it is to function properly, it should be applied the same way every single time it comes into play. If it is not, you might as well junk it altogether, as it will become more hassle than it is worth.

Learn the difference between "applied consistently in one campaign" and "applied consistently across all campaigns".

LuYangShih

First Post
Applied consistently in one campaign equates to a house rule. Alignment it supposed to be a core rule, which means it is supposed to be applied consistently across all campaigns.

hong

WotC's bitch
LuYangShih said:
Applied consistently in one campaign equates to a house rule. Alignment it supposed to be a core rule, which means it is supposed to be applied consistently across all campaigns.
Because world poverty can be eliminated TODAY, yes, TODAY, by simply applying alignment consistently across all campaigns.

Oops, I mean, because we could find a cure for cancer TODAY, yes, TODAY, by simply applying alignment consistently across all campaigns.

Or something. In any case, I'm glad you're applying your energies to something productive.

LuYangShih

First Post
I think that the reason alignment is not applied consistently is because too few people view it as the mechanic and rule it is. That can be evidenced even by the fact that alignment threads are always left in General Discussion, rather than moved to the D&D Rules forum.

hong

WotC's bitch
You know, you're starting to sound like one of those political ads on TV.

LuYangShih said:
I think that the reason alignment is not applied consistently is because too few people view it as the mechanic and rule it is.

Demonstrate that people do not apply alignment consistently within the context of their own game. If you mean that people don't apply alignment the way YOU like to apply alignment, that's your problem.

That can be evidenced even by the fact that alignment threads are always left in General Discussion, rather than moved to the D&D Rules forum.

You poor thing. Would you like a cookie?

Wraithdrit

First Post
Alignment can not be seen as a mechanic or a rule as long as the PH states alignment in general terms and with generalities.

If the PHB says all lawful good people would do this and only this given this kind of situation, then you might have a case for alignments being a mechanic and not an abstract.

Remove ads