D&D 5E ALL ABOARD!!! Should rules for climbing big opponents be a part of the Core rules of D&D Next?

Should rules for climbing big opponents be a part of the Core rules of D&D Next?

Celebrim

Legend
It's already a part of my home brew rules (search for Celebrim and 'Clinch' for details).

I don't see why it shouldn't be part of any modern rules system. If the rules system can't handle a common proposition, something is wrong with it.

I definitely think it should exist, and should be in a module. It would clutter up the basic rules, but it is sorely needed. In 3e you were sort of left shaking your head. You could use the grappling rules, but then you would never succeed, because something that big could shake you off like nothing. You'll have a similar problem in Next if you make it Strength-based. You could use the climbing rules, but that didn't take into account the fact that the opponent is moving and possibly trying to shake you off.

What would make most sense to me in Next would be an opposed check where the climber gets to choose between Str and Dex, and the climbee is stuck with Dex, and must be at least 1 size category larger than the climber. In other words, exactly the opposite of the current grapple rules.

I don't see a serious problem with this suggestion, since it might be a bit easier than grappling, but you aren't taking control of your foe in any way.

Ratskinner

Adventurer
I don't have the option to vote: "Seriously, do we need special rules for that?"

Chalk me up in the "Rulings not rules" category. If the game actually has such rules in it...then it will have become waaayyyy to fiddly and rule-bound for me to ever run it and probably even want to play it.

I can understand the objection to such a rule. In general I like the light touch that 5e has, and the attempt to avoid subsystems. The reason I'd like a simple modular option (or even an example that touches the idea) is from personal experience with 3e. I've spent way too much time discussing it with others in my gaming group. As DM I'd have to come up with my own complex system, and as a player I'd have to try to convince my DM to allow me to do something that would actually give me any chance of success. It is honestly a mess. Based on my experience I can't trust other DMs and I can't trust myself to make up fair rules for it on the fly--and thus nobody ever tries the maneuver. That isn't a problem I see with most DM rulings, so I feel that this maneuver could stand a little mention in some sort of sidebar or example.

howandwhy99

Adventurer
Grapple Positioning could be an interesting supplement. I mean, look at how many kung fu/martial arts supplements there are. Locks and pins are covered from previous works. I willing to bet there's a WWE-style "pro" wrestling supplement out there somewhere with everything from pile drivers to "the claw".

D&D adds fantasy to that mix. And all those monsters. For diehard monk, wrestling, and grapple fans this could be very interesting.

EDIT: It's not just size that matters :D

saskganesh

First Post
I'd use grapple rules with appropriate modifications. Anyhow, it sounds fun, and I'd love to see a character try it. The Rule of Cool is that is should be possible.

KidSnide

Adventurer
I'd like to see a rule for "climbing on" replace grappling when the target is larger than the creature initiating the grapple.

Grapple just doesn't make sense for larger targets. I’ve been grappled by halfling sized people and it definitely doesn’t reduce my speed to zero. Similarly, the idea of immobilizing a horse through grappling sounds ludicrous.

-KS

saskganesh

First Post
There's more than one grapple rule published. Anyhow, you should use common sense according to the context ~ halflings don't pin a dragon, instead they climb it. etc.

The way I see it, grapple is an easy way to determine if the character grabs on tightly. Modify results appropriately.

cmbarona

First Post
Where I see such rules most being used isn't necessarily by the PCs climbing onto big monsters, but tiny monsters climbing onto PCs. It would be nice to see an easy rule in core. Something that takes up no more room than the Grapple rules would suffice. It could make that choice to play a Halfling much more interesting.

Remove ads