D&D 5E All-Access Pass Possessors, I Implore You...

No planetouched :(
I am pretty sure that was confirmed as in the possible future when the Teifling was spoiled, sadly was never happening.

A great list of monsters though, and who else is very happy with the little bits of humour in the pics ala 'the mickey mouse hat infiltrators' and 'the scared of the rust monster fighter' in 1E?
Paizo have been doing a bit and I am glad we are not going 100% po-faced in gaming books again. A scorched Lidda is all I remember from 3E, though I am sure there must be more, and can't put my finger on any in 4E off the top of my head.

Templates are back: Half Dragon, Shadow Dragon(!), and Spore Servant are all ones.
Neat! But are they 3E-style templates or 4E-style "monster-only" templates?

Also, shadow dragons are a template now, huh? Hmm... Well, I always did think they looked a little like hornless blue dragons...

Agamon

Adventurer
A great list of monsters though, and who else is very happy with the little bits of humour in the pics ala 'the mickey mouse hat infiltrators' and 'the scared of the rust monster fighter' in 1E?
Paizo have been doing a bit and I am glad we are not going 100% po-faced in gaming books again. A scorched Lidda is all I remember from 3E, though I am sure there must be more, and can't put my finger on any in 4E off the top of my head.

Seeing as how I consider Rat Queens to be one of the greatest comics ever, I enjoy at least a bit of humor in my fantasy.

Anyone spy any omissions worthy of comment?

Well, they forgot to omit the modrons... :p

I miss the ixitxachitl and green slime, though the latter could easily be a hazard in the DMG again. I miss the arch-fiends, though I totally get why they were held back.

And while I like bullywugs, I wonder if the MM1 needed another low-CR race of humanoid savage baddies.

All that said, I agree with the majority, that this looks to be a great monster manual.

You know, I'm looking over a list of monsters in the 1e MM, and I had a thought.

One of the (few) 1e MM1 monsters not in the 5e MM1 is the titan. But we saw in the tarrasque excerpt that "titan" is a sub-type now.

Could the "empyreans" be the new old-school titans? They were said to live on a plane "above" the Material...

Remove ads