D&D General All Basic, B/X and BECMI and Rules Cyclopedia set sales, from Ben Riggs.

darjr

I crit!
I wanted to see Holmes and the other sets. I’ll add the expert info here when he posts it.

One thing I didn’t know is that the Rule Books for Basic and Expert from the Moldvay sets were sold separately. I would have gotten them if I had known.

1C13F06C-059D-4373-B459-467E952261D2.jpeg

Behold! Sales of the Dungeons & Dragons Basic Set in all its various iterations!

One thing to note on this graph is that from 1984 through 1990, TSR lumped all Basic sales together in their books, so there is only a combined number for those years.

Later today or tomorrow, I will release data for the Expert Set.

Interested? Pick up my book on TSR history, Slaying the Dragon: A Secret History of Dungeons & Dragons. Link below!

If you want to see the actual data used to generate this graph, there is also a link below!

1659038300188.png

Expert!

Behold! Sales of the Dungeons & Dragons Expert Set in all its various iterations!

One thing to note on this graph is that from 1984 through 1989, TSR lumped all Expert sales together in their books, so there is only a combined number for those years.

Later today or Monday, I will release data for the Companion, Master, Immortal, and Rules Cyclopedia.

Find me interesting? Pick up my book on TSR history, Slaying the Dragon: A Secret History of Dungeons & Dragons. Link below!

If you want to see the actual data used to generate this graph, there is also a link below!

225CB696-A5C7-47C5-BB52-D375ADA234C7.jpeg

There was a time I could have bought ten RCs for ten bucks. The. The OSR took off at the release of 4e. Now I only own it in PDF.

Behold! Sales of the D&D Companion, Master, & Immortal boxed sets from 1984 to 1991!

The chart contains one very unusual feature. In 1987, sales of the Companion boxed set surged, selling more copies in its fourth year of release than it did any other year. A product selling more copies after its first year of release is a feat I believe unequaled in post-1984 TSR history!

Next up is perhaps the single best rulebook released in the history of D&D, the Rules Cyclopedia! After that, we’ll take a look at total BECMI sales by year, and then do a final tally of D&D vs. AD&D sales, including all D&D boxed sets and the Cyclopedia, and all monster products for AD&D.

EE9AD199-AA64-4016-813E-5A9D7E9B2E48.jpeg

Speaking of the Rules Cyclopedia!

Behold! Sales of the D&D Rules Cyclopedia!

The Rules Cyclopedia may be the best bang for the buck single volume ever produced for the game. Consolidating the rules from the D&D boxed sets, it contains all the rules needed to play the game, character creation, monsters, and magic items!

Next we’ll take a look at total BECMI sales by year, and then do a final tally of D&D vs. AD&D sales, including all D&D boxed sets and the Cyclopedia, and all monster products for AD&D.

52AD940E-A7DE-4001-8E11-A10E7F5CEEAC.jpeg

Combined graph of all sales of basic.

Behold! Total sales of D&D boxed sets 1979-1997! Data includes Basic, Expert, Companion, Master, Immortal & Rules Cyclopedia!

Next up, a final tally of D&D vs. AD&D sales, including all D&D boxed sets and the Cyclopedia, and all monster products for AD&D.

C26BF8BF-C15D-4A51-9010-9C686E234CC9.jpeg

I post a link to his book as a courtesy for all these numbers and such. Slaying the Dragon - Macmillan

Link to data:
1659369236937.png

1659373485932.png

Last edited:

overgeeked

B/X Known World
If these numbers are accurate, it's wild that Moldvay Basic outsold everything else, by a lot.

About 1.258 million Moldvay Basic sales vs 0.591 million Holmes Basic vs 0.455 million Mentzer Basic vs 0.645 million combined Basic sales.

Even giving all the combined Basic sales to Mentzer, Moldvay still outsold that number, 1.258 million vs 1.1 million. No wonder B/X is the OSR system of choice to emulate. All the nostalgia.

darjr

I crit!
If these numbers are accurate, it's wild that Moldvay Basic outsold everything else, by a lot.

About 1.258 million Moldvay Basic sales vs 0.591 Holmes Basic vs 0.455 million Mentzer Basic or 0.645 million combined Basic sales.

Even giving all the combined Basic sales to Mentzer, Moldvay still outsold that number, 1.258 million vs 1.1 million. No wonder B/X is the OSR system of choice to emulate. All the nostalgia.
Yea. I certainly have a ton. Still I think it’s the best of them. That mix of really weird but concise rules.

I do think the Red Box Mentzer was great for the solo game in it but it never seemed the same.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
Yea. I certainly have a ton. Still I think it’s the best of them. That mix of really weird but concise rules.

I do think the Red Box Mentzer was great for the solo game in it but it never seemed the same.
I have strong nostalgia for the Mentzer Red Box because that's what I started with. I think that is a great set for teaching yourself the game, however - IMO - B/X is a clearer and more compact iteration of the rules and it is much better as a reference once you know how to play.

Parmandur

Book-Friend

About 1.258 million Moldvay Basic sales vs 0.591 million Holmes Basic vs 0.455 million Mentzer Basic vs 0.645 million combined Basic sales.

I wonder if thst played a part in the 1984 collapse: an edition change that split the fanbase?

Remove ads