All Star Wars Movies Delayed Until 2025?

FitzTheRuke

Legend
SW: here’s some new stuff!

Fans: no! It’s too different! Show us old stuff!

SW: ok here’s some old stuff that’s not different

Fans: no! that’s too much the same

SW: oh FFS
While that is honestly very funny (when Morrus said it!) It's not entirely accurate, for two reasons:

1) They haven't actually given us anything that's all that "new".
2) The fans that want something new and the fans that want to retread their childhoods are two different groups. (Oh, I'm sure there is some crossovers, especially with fans who have no clue what they want.)

I know that I'd love to see something set in the same galaxy that does its own thing. I am very much looking forward to whatever Taika cooks up.

SW: here’s some new stuff!

What new stuff?

We got the Mandalorian, which is pretty fresh and much beloved. When it did bring in existing characters, they were in service to the main cast's story.

We got Star Wars Rebels, which likewise was really fresh and (after a weak first season) much beloved. Yeah, you saw Leia once and Vader a few times, but the character arcs of the main cast were what mattered.

Then we got the Book of Boba Fett, which was a blah story, seemingly designed as "Well, Boba's popular, so let's find a story to tell about him," instead of, "I have a cool story in mind, so let's tell it."

Kenobi was narrative wheel-spinning with no stakes because it couldn't mess with canon.

Before that, what, Solo? It could have been fine if it had been about some new smuggler. The plot was groovy. I only disliked it for the nostalgia bait.

Rogue One? Hey, here we at least had new characters. It is the best Disney Star Wars movie. Again, I only disliked the parts that focused on canon and nostalgia rather than on the characters who were supposed to be the focus. Like, end with someone in the main cast, or at least someone they interacted with, not with Vader and Leia.

The sequel trilogy? That's a complicated mess.

But no, the problem isn't that fans won't like new stuff. The problem is that we don't like bad stories, and far too often producers seem to thinking bringing in 'old stuff' is a sufficient substitute for actually having a good story to tell.

Yora

Legend
Kenobi was narrative wheel-spinning with no stakes because it couldn't mess with canon.
Well, it could have just been "Obi-Wan has introspective adventures on Tatooine, contemplating the errors of the Jedi and finding a new purpose while maintaining the appearance of an unassuming hermit, occasionally checking in ob Baby Luke to make sure nothing is threatening the farm.

Like most people seem to have been expected when the show was originally announced.

But no, we just had to have fan-service, fan-service, action, and introducing new spunky characters that steal the spotlight from the protagonist!

Well, it could have just been "Obi-Wan has introspective adventures on Tatooine, contemplating the errors of the Jedi and finding a new purpose while maintaining the appearance of an unassuming hermit, occasionally checking in ob Baby Luke to make sure nothing is threatening the farm.

Like most people seem to have been expected when the show was originally announced.

But no, we just had to have fan-service, fan-service, action, and introducing new spunky characters that steal the spotlight from the protagonist!

Which was a lot of fun and much better than the snorefest that description would be.

I admit, putting Leia in peril to get Obi-Wan off Tattooine for a bit was clever, but I figured, "Okay, he'll resolve that and send the child actress home in an episode so we don't have to deal with her anymore, but then he'll get caught up in something else along the way which will be interesting and reflective of some novel character beat."

But nah, the tension was, "Will Leia live? Will Obi escape? Will someone kill Vader? Will someone kill Luke?"

But obviously no, none of that can happen.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I admit, putting Leia in peril to get Obi-Wan off Tattooine for a bit was clever, but I figured, "Okay, he'll resolve that and send the child actress home in an episode so we don't have to deal with her anymore, but then he'll get caught up in something else along the way which will be interesting and reflective of some novel character beat."

But nah, the tension was, "Will Leia live? Will Obi escape? Will someone kill Vader? Will someone kill Luke?"

But obviously no, none of that can happen.
Sometimes it’s the journey, not the destination. Sorry you had a bad time with it. I enjoyed it.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I enjoyed Obi-Wan. Even though I don't like fan service, I even enjoyed most of that aspect of it.

Now I am ready for some new stuff. (Okay, I have been waiting for new stuff for near forty years!)

Sometimes it’s the journey, not the destination. Sorry you had a bad time with it. I enjoyed it.

I guess it can't just be the 'prequel'-ness of it, because I rewatch plenty of movies and can enjoy them even though I know the outcome. Or I can watch a World War 2 movie knowing that the characters aren't going to personally kill Hitler or whatever.

But I think where it hits me is when the story elements feel artificially constrained. Obi-Wan beats Vader but really has no reason not to finish the guy off within the narrative they've established. Bail sends a message that serves no plot reason except to give Reva a thin excuse to go zipping over to Tattooine to kill Luke for no motivated character reason. It's just to create some mild artificial danger and give her a limp 'redemption' moment.

Remove ads