All the Marks. More Marks for the ranger class.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
So I was looking at the ranger spell list and wondering why there's only a named spell for hunters. So I made a few more marks.

BEAST MASTER'S MARK

1st-level divination
Casting Time: 1 bonus action
Range: 90 feet
Components: V
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 hour

You choose a creature you can see within range and mystically mark it as the enemy of animalkind. Until the spell ends, all beasts within 30 feet of the target deal an extra 1d6 damage to the target whenever they hit it with an attack, and they add your spell casting ability modifier on any Wisdom (Perception) or Wisdom (Survival) check they make to find it. If the target drops to 0 hit points before this spell ends, you can use a bonus action on a subsequent turn of yours to mark a new creature.
At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 3rd or 4th level, you can maintain your concentration on the spell for up to 8 hours. When you use a spell slot of 5th level or higher, you can maintain your concentration on the spell for up to 24 hours.

MARAUDER'S MARK
1st-level divination

You choose a creature you can see within range and mystically mark it as your quarry. Until the spell ends, whenever the target deals damage to you the damage is reduced to 0. Once 30 damage is reduced by this spell, it ends. You also have advantage on Charisma (Intimidation) and Charisma (Deception) checks you make to scare or threaten the target. If the target drops to 0 hit points before this spell ends, you can use a bonus action on a subsequent turn of yours to mark a new creature.
At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 3rd or 4th level, you can maintain your concentration on the spell for up to 8 hours. When you use a spell slot of 5th level or higher, you can maintain your concentration on the spell for up to 24 hours.

SCOUT'S MARK

1st-level divination

You choose a creature you can see within range and mystically mark it as your quarry. Until the spell ends, your movement does not trigger opportunity attacks from the target and you have +2 AC against the target's attacks. You also have advantage on Dexterity (Stealth) checks to hide from the target. If the target drops to 0 hit points before this spell ends, you can use a bonus action on a subsequent turn of yours to mark a new creature.

Much like hunter's mark, these spells an be reflavored as non-magical by claimed them to be special mindsets. The ranger focuses on one target and enters a trance-like state.

What other types of rangers all their that might request a mark of their own?

pdegan2814

First Post
Definitely some neat ideas here. For the BeastMaster's Mark, I'd almost prefer to see a spell that combines his with the traditional Hunter's Mark, so both the Ranger and his animal companion share the benefit of the same Mark, even if it means making it a 2nd-level spell.

For the Marauder's Mark, when you say "it ends" with regard to the 30 damage is reached, do you mean the entire Mark ends, or just the damage absorption effect? And if the target dies after only dealing 15 damage, does that 15 carry over when the Mark is moved to a new target, or does that new target have to inflict the full 30? For this one, I don't think increasing the duration will end up ever being helpful since it doesn't include a benefit to tracking/pursuing the target. I'd almost rather see the up-level benefit being an increase to the number of HP that can be absorbed from the Marked creature. In addition, I think complete immunity to that first 30 points of damage might be a bit excessive, especially in the early levels(early enough in the game, that could mean complete immunity from a decent-sized creature for most of if not all of a fight). Maybe grant the Ranger resistance against damage(possibly limited to B/S/P damage) from that target instead? That might allow an increase or complete removal of the damage cap.

Remove ads