D&D 5E All weapons doing d6?

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Because having different weapons gives you a mechanically meaningful choice point for character design. If every weapon is an undifferentiated d6, then there's no real point for me in picking a weapon. It basically becomes just part of drawing your character profile, which is not for me a very interesting part of making a character. (Others may disagree.)

So would there ever be a reason why you would choose a scimitar over a long sword or a Mace over a Morning Star? should the weapon part just be part lof drawing your character profile ...

Last edited:

Big Bucky

Explorer
That’s why I think 13th Age’s version of this concept is the best. Damage dice in that game are based on class rather than weapon, so your rogue always does 1d6, your Barbarian always does 1d12 and what weapon you use to do it is up to you and how you want to describe your character.
Dungeon World does it too and it works really well. There are tags on the weapons that differentiate them.

It’s not like the weapons in D&D lend themselves to people picking all different weapons (every rogue everywhere using rapier). Making them all the same damage would add more diversity and make narrative play more interesting.

So would there ever be a reason why you would choose a scimitar over a long sword or a lighthammer over a war hammer? should the weapon part just be part lof drawing your character profile ...
Maybe you can't get the better weapon, so you're stuck with the inferior one until you can acquire the upgrade.

A good weapon is supposed to be a big deal, in a world where not everyone has one. One of the big marks against Gamma World 7E is that there's no reason to care about having a nice sword when you can pick up a fence post and it's exactly as effective.

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
So would there ever be a reason why you would choose a scimitar over a long sword or a lighthammer over a war hammer? should the weapon part just be part lof drawing your character profile ...
Sorry, not sure I understand what you ask here. In the regular rules, of course, there would be reasons to pick one over another (am I using Str vs Dex? Shield or TWF? Do I want a weapon I can throw?).

Or are you asking why I think weapon choice should be more meaningful? I just think it is more interesting.

Dungeon World does it too and it works really well. There are tags on the weapons that differentiate them.

It’s not like the weapons in D&D lend themselves to people picking all different weapons (every rogue everywhere using rapier). Making them all the same damage would add more diversity and make narrative play more interesting.

Ah see I disagree. The rogue has to pick between rapier (most damage), two short swords (less damage but TWF option), or a dagger (throwable). I've seen all of those. Well actually come to think of it I'm not sure I've seen a rogue use a rapier at my table, but whatever I know it is popular. And I like the fact that these options give you something to think about.

Jediking

Explorer
You could try what Dungeon World does, and weapon attacks are based on class.

In 5e you could easily use the HD amount as damage die to replicate this - Wizards would deal a d6 Dmg, while a Fighter would deal d10, Barbarians would remain the big guns with their d12

Big Bucky

Explorer
I’ve used all of those as a rogue too. But i think most people will pick the highest damage weapon as their go to weapon. 5e doesn’t have a ton of tactical depth so there usually isn’t a benefit to using different weapons anyway, at least how most tables are run.

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
I’ve used all of those as a rogue too. But i think most people will pick the highest damage weapon as their go to weapon. 5e doesn’t have a ton of tactical depth so there usually isn’t a benefit to using different weapons anyway, at least how most tables are run.
I'm not sure that agrees with my experience, but you could be right. But all I'm offering here is my personal opinion. When I'm making a character I like to consider the tradeoffs that different weapons offer.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Everything does a d6? Hmm, no differentiation, so like this...

I throw my weapon at the goblin, wounding him in the thigh. He limps forward, grasps his weapon in both hands, and attacks at my chest. I barely manage to parry with my weapon, which snaps at the part that usually snaps. I draw my other weapon and yet another weapon, and attack in a flurry of unspecified attacks, cutting him down in a welter of gore.

Seriously though, I do like the 13th age answer to this question a lot.

Voadam

Legend
I sometimes would like it. There have been times I've thought it would be fun aesthetically to play a viking or Celtic or Greek warrior with a spear but swords are generally just better mechanically. It would also facilitate the Savage Sword of Conan image where he often sports different weapons. D&D mechanics often favor hyper-specializing in one single style.

That’s why I think 13th Age’s version of this concept is the best. Damage dice in that game are based on class rather than weapon, so your rogue always does 1d6, your Barbarian always does 1d12 and what weapon you use to do it is up to you and how you want to describe your character.

That's not right. 13th Age gives each class their own weapons table (in practice the damage die size is pretty consistent between weapon types), and weapons deal 1 die of damage per character level plus ability modifier.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases