Allies, 5' Squares, and AoO.

Darkness8Me

First Post
Couple questions I couldn't find answers to, page number references would be really appreciated.

1) How many friendly medium-size or small creatures can occupy a single 5' area?

1a) If more than one creature can occupy a single 5' area, what are the combat modifiers (i.e. one-half cover)?

2) If a medium-size creature enters and leaves a 5' area that is both threatened by an enemy and occupied by an ally does she provoke an attack of opportunity (does her ally provide her with enough cover to avoid the AoO)?

Thanks in advance.

Vaxalon

First Post
The answer is "One".

One small or medium combatant per 5' square.

There are no modifiers listed, because you can't stack people.

THe "Swarmfighter" feat is the only exception.

SpikeyFreak

First Post
Well, there aren't any rules for more than one small or medium creaute fighting from the same square, but I wouldn't disallow it. 2 humans could quite easily fit in a 5' room. There would be serious penalties though.

I would prolly half any dex and dodge bonuses to AC, and have penalties (or maybe lessened Str or Dex bonuses) to hit as well.

Then answer to the AoO question YES you still provoke the AoO! The AoO is for leaving the square, not for entering the next square, and you are being hindered by entering a square with someone else in it, not helped.

If the second square that is ally-occiupied is in a threatened are, I might have you both suck up an AoO.

--AoO Happy Spikey

Remove ads