D&D (2024) Allow players to know a foe's hp?

Would you allow players to know a foes current hp?

• Let the players know how many hp a foe has at any given moment

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Let the players know the proportion of hp a foe currently has, but not the number

Votes: 4 9.3%
  • Let the players know when a creature reaches a specific threshold e.g 1/2 hp but no more information

Votes: 31 72.1%
  • Don't let the players have any information about how many hp a foe currently has

Votes: 4 9.3%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.7%

TheSword

Legend
I like the sliding bar myself. It’s reminiscent of all those Dark Souls boss fights. If I don’t have a VTT to use though I prefer injured after taking damage, bloodied at 50% and near death when they are below 20%. Just like Baldurs Gate. We’re all the sum of our experiences I guess!

Clint_L

Hero
I don't use the words "hit points" because it takes me out of the story, but I will describe it as "looking pretty strong," "badly beat up," "on its last legs," etc.

I feel characters would usually have a pretty good sense of how the foe is doing, but the exact number of hit points feels too game-y for me.

Stormonu

Legend
I generally let the players know when they get an opponent to half health, and then again when the get down to the point that a single (high end) blow will finish the creature off.

TheSword

Legend
I find that not giving players any information about their foes causes them to play more cautiously. They’re more likely to take risks to fight that little bit longer if the can see their actions are working and how difficult it is.

Paradoxically I think it also encourages players to flee when they see they’re up against a foe that outmatches them. When they do a solid hit and it only chips a tiny scratch off the hp bar then they know right then that they are seriously outmatched. How can they know that when you don’t provide them with details of how how effective a strike was against a foe.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
I'm thinking of going all in on this subject for my next game: players will be able to ask for a creature's HP and AC.

*Also thinking of using average damage (full damage from boss), minions and mobs rules and removing extra attack from martial class and switching them to...something else I havent decided.

All of that to save time on the guessing game to speed up game play at my table.

Remove ads