Almost every fantasy show is trying to be D&D or Game of Thrones

Zardnaar

Legend
Which is honestly one of my biggest complaints with the sequel movies, and one of my favorite things about Rian Johnson's installment. He TRIED to make it not about the special magical bloodlines. He tried to give us a truly inspiring message, glimpsed with that one magical shot of the boy in the stables moving his broom with the force. A hero can arise from nothing. Your parents and birth don't determine whether you are special. And then J.J. completely messed the bed with the awful Episode IX.

Rians concept was fine just not in part 2 of a trilogy and part 8 of an overarching story marketed as the Skywalker saga.

Rey didn't need to be a Skywalker she did need to have some sort of established link to the OT characters. IMHO. Luke's Star pupil for example.

No one would complain about her force proficiency if she was a Jedi knight to begin with. They did kind of hint about something about the force awakening but never really followed up on it.

Rey equivalent in legends essentially grew up over a 20 year period in the books and had development similar to Ahsoka

I suppose. She was Luke's niece but there were plenty of other non Skywalker Jedi/Sith as well.

Luke essentially ended up the most powerful Jedi of all time but it took him 40 years to get there.

Ahsoka is the female Jedi that's popular she's had good character development over the last 15 years. Shhe was kinda crap early on Jar Jar Binks but better writing redeemed her.

Kinda funny how the current writers are duplicating the worst if the old EU without hitting it's high notes though. Overall Disney's actually doing better they messed up the ST and BoBF. Apart from that they're doing reasonably well.

Last edited:

"Did he write a she-hulk that attacks the fandom?"
Where do you feel the TV She-Hulk was attacking the fandom?
Ah, I see now thanks.
The podcaster I linked to upthread says this (just after the 6 minute mark)

Reason number 4. The general utter disdain for the audience.
So much of the show is written as a preemptive strike against its expected critics. Since the main villain of the show is a group of male incels that are angry that a woman can be a Hulk, but also a successful lawyer with a good butt I guess at least that is how the show creators think about the reason for all the hate that She Hulk has received and will continue to receive.

But I'm the show's worst nightmare. I'm a woman and a woman of colour, thankfully its not green and I too did not like the show. She Hulk was clearly a successful comic book, a thoroughly enjoyed and appreciated female hero in a medium that generally attracts male readership and yet the comic did well so why did the creators feel the need to assume that men were going to hate She Hulk. I mean they weren't wrong a lot of people and a lot of men hate the show. And is it any wonder, the men on the show are absolute reprehensible examples of masculinity. And its clear that the writers are all aching to put them in their place and prove to them that women are superior.

So why would men enjoy the show when its clear that the writers think so ill of them. The character of She Hulk was not really treated with respect as a proper character with edges and shadows but rather as a caricature and turned into a dark fantasy for the writers to repeatedly dunk on men. And then they turn around and complain that the men refuse to lay down and take it. And that any women that dislike the show are clearly critising it because of their internalised misogyny and their desire to see women fail and fine I'm sure people will lump into that category but I suggest the writers look at their work honestly. Did this show really offer any sort of compelling story?

After Jen refuses to become a superhero calling the Avengers narcissist its amazing that the rest of the show is about her dating life, her name and her struggles with acquiring clothing and yet she views the willingness to serve people and the world as narcissistic. Jen experiences no growth through the show instead remaining flat and uninteresting, achieving her happy ending by speaking to the manager and ensuring everyone is arrested. But the final and most crucial reason for the failure of this show is the world view the writers and creators have laid out in front of us. There is nothing heroic, nothing aspiring or inspiring, instead its actually pretty bleak since the men are tools and the women are vapid. And its clearly how the writers clearly think about the world we live in. Which is why instead of creating content that inspires they created something that is nine episodes of constant finger ragging at men.

Last edited:

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Yeah, the TV show was WAY better at what it was doing than the comic. As much as I like much of Byrne's work, some of it doesn't age well.

I was going to say "even the last episode?" and then I remembered what he did to Vision and Wanda, and his rant against his own older Marvel artwork when he came out with Next Men.

Ryujin

Legend
An odd take. I read the show more as "equal to her 'co-workers' (other supers and lawyers) and superior to incels/misogynists", which is pretty much what any woman should probably feel about herself. We all read things differently, I guess.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
An odd take. I read the show more as "equal to her 'co-workers' (other supers and lawyers) and superior to incels/misogynists", which is pretty much what any woman should probably feel about herself. We all read things differently, I guess.
I'd expand that to be how just about how anybody should feel who tries not be an incel/misogynist. But your point is well said.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
A lot of bad takes in this thread from a lot of different angles. Nothing of value to add to most of the discourse, only this;

My partner and I freaking loved Wheel of Time. There are some definite lulls and the whole thing with Perrin having a wife was completely stupid but other than that it was a pretty good first season. The most common criticism I hear is about the art direction which is wild to me; it's not something that I tend to personally notice but my partner eats that stuff up and she thought the art direction and costuming were excellent, and that's the kind of thing I very much trust her judgment on. We re-watched it after finishing our read (re-read for me, first time for her) of the first book and we only enjoyed it more. Very excited for the second season.

Also Shadow & Bone is excellent (the show, anyway, the Grisha Trilogy was touch-and-go for me throughout it honestly but the Six of Crows Duology is amazing). Also very excited for the second season of this.

Remove ads