Altering Skill Focus - Need Feedback

jdfrenzel

First Post
I know this is an old subject, but I'll haul it back out since I need to make the change now.

I am weighing 5 options to boost SF back up to respectablility:

1) +4 bonus
2) +3 bonus
3) +2 bonus and +1 Max Ranks
4) +2 bonus and +2 Max Ranks
5) +3 bonus and +1 Max Ranks

I know there are other possibilities, but wanted to see how others have fared with alterations to SF. Thanks!

--- John

Kaptain_Kantrip

First Post
+3 is equivalent to the Skill Emphasis feat in all other d20 games, so that's a safe bet for a bump in power (I'm sure that it will be incorporated into 4e, anyway).

Personally, I'd rather have it provide +4 to one skill, thus making it more like feats that give a +2 bonus to two skills. +4 is a BIG BOOST, but it sure makes the feat worth getting, unlike as written in the PHB.

WaterRabbit

Explorer
Option 2

definitely not 3,4, or 5.

The problem here is feat inflation more than skill focus being that weak. If you allow feats beyond the PHB, the number of feats available is trully staggering.
Even if you made it +4, I doubt that many characters will take it. However, at +4, when characters do take it, they will probably add it to Spot and Listen.
I personally would just leave it at +2 since it allows you to add it to an NPC expert without them becoming amazing craftsmen add low ranks. If the PCs don't take it, don't worry about it.
Another method is to drop all +2 this, +2 that feats from your campaign. That will add some value back to this feat.

Well, use Magic Device can also be a good option for Skill Emphasis. Generally, all skills that cannot be boostet by "common" magic items are a good choice for it.
Rogues might decide to want it for Disable Device and Search.

And it should be a +3 bonus, I think that fits the "principe" behind all those +x feats best...

Ravellion

serves Gnome Master
Furn_Darkside said:
Salutations,

We use option 1) +4

Why? Many feets provide 2 +2 bonuses, and to make Skill Focus equal to them.. it is now +4.

FD

A big bonus is more powerful than 2 smaller ones, simply because you can use all of it in one check. This is also why the luck of heroes feat is balanced. I'd hate to see someone take +4 on spellcraft... they'd never have to roll when trying to learn new spells.

Rav

Crothian

First Post
Another thing to take in consideration is how else they improve their skills. For instance skill focus at +2 is the equvilent of 2 levels for a class skill and 4 levels for a cross class skills in terms of ranks. Or it's 4 points of an attreibute applies to one skill. Granted, once you start mixing magical items that boost skills, this gets a little wierd. Also, with the feats that allow you +2 to two skills, you don't want skill Focus to be too high, or a low level character could be really good at a skill. I've seen rogues do that with tumble.

Remove ads