• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Alternate Bard, more fighter-like

Kale78

First Post
I was wanting a class that is similar to the Bard, who inspires others to greatness. However, unlike the bard who uses music I want someone who inspires greatness by force of will and strength of character. Such as Paladin on the front line who energizes those around him.

So, I was considering what changes I could make and would like some input.

Bard Class:
Increase Hit Die to d10.
Replace Perform with Diplomacy (?)
Bardic Music becomes Instill Greatness, usable same number
of times per day.
Inspire Courage, Fascinate, Inspire Competence, Suggestion,
and Inspire Greatness are kept but Countersong is lost.
Spellcasting is lost.
Skills are same as those of the Paladin.
Bardic Knowledge is lost.

So, what do you think? Too weak? Too strong? I'm leaning towards too weak, but how to even it out? Bonus feats? If so, how many?
Perhaps it should be a prestige class?

Last edited:

CCamfield

First Post
Without music, he's not really a bard, is he? :)

AEG's Mercenaries has some inspiration oriented feats that a fighter could take:

Inspire Loyalty (+4 morale bonus to your troops, using the Mercenary book's morale rules. Requires Leadership)

Natural Leader (full round action to aid another with a skill check, giving bonus equal to Cha bonus to character, usable 1+Cha Bonus times/day. Req Cha 13+)

Natural Born Leader (as above but gives Cha bonus to attack rolls to allies with 30' for number of rounds equal to 1+Cha Bonus. Split your Cha bonus amongst recipients. Again, useable 1+Cha Bonus times/day, req Natural Leader)

Battle Cry (Free action to voice thunderous battle cry, gives +1 morale bonus to attacks and saves vs fear for 1d6 rounds to all allies within 50'. Req Cha 13+, BAB 4+. Not usable with bardic music or spells using somatic components.)

There's also Rabble-Rouser to organize mobs :)

XCorvis

First Post
Too weak, IMO.

A bard can use oration (speach) for most of his abilities - only the countersong requires actual music, I think.

You'd be better off with a Prestige Class that non-bards can take that grants some bard-like abilities, like the Virtuoso (but more combat oriented).

Jeph

Explorer
I'd take what Kale originally posted, change the good Will save to good Fort, and add bonus combat or diplomacy feats at 2nd level and every 4 levels after that (6, 10, 14, 18).

Last edited:

Guilt Puppy

First Post
I made a vaguely similar class, combining the Barbarian with the Paladin (things like Aura of Courage are relevant abilities). Anyway, using the same ideas I used for that, here's a suggestion for your bard-like class:

Bard-Lite: (hey, I leave it to you to come up with a decent name)

HD: 1d10
BAB: +1/level
Saves: Fast Fort, Slow Refl, Slow Will
Skills: As Bard

Special (* - occurs only during inspiration):
1: Inspire 1/day, Heroism*
2: Courage*
3:
4: Inspire 2/day
5: Toughness*
6: Speed*
7:
8: Inspire 3/day
9: Cunning*
10: Health*
11:
12: Inspire 4/day
13: Might*
14: Luck*
15:
16: Inspire 5/day
17:
18: Haste*
19:
20: Inspire 6/day

Inspire: With a battlecry, a musical incantation, or some other act specific to the character, the Bard-Lite may inspire his allies to great feats. This ability may only be used once per encounter, and only in the presence of perceived enemies. The effects last for 5 rounds plus the Bard-Lite's Charisma modifier. Inspiring is a free action, and does not require concentration. The benefits are listed below (and starred), and accumulate as the Bard-Lite increases in level. These benefits effect both the Bard-Lite and all allies within 30 feet.

Heroism*: All allies gain a +1 morale bonus to attack rolls during Inspiration.

Courage*: All allies gain a +2 morale bonus to Will saves versus fear. Those currently influenced by fear effects gain a new save at the start of the Bard-Lite's Inspiration period.

Toughness*: Allies gain temporary hit points equal to the Bard-Lite's level. These go away at the end of the Inspiration.

Speed*: All allies' movement rate is increased by 10 feet during Inspiration.

Cunning*: Allies cannot be flanked.

Health*: At the start of Inspiration, all Allies regain 1 hp per level the Bard-Lite possesses.

Might*: All allies receive a +2 morale bonus to Strength.

Luck*: Allies recieve a +2 morale bonus to all saving throws.

Haste*: Allies act as though subject to the haste spell.

-----------

Okay, that's probably too much stuff, and way too specialized, but whittle and add as you need to.

Crothian

First Post
I like the class but I really think the skill list should be trimmed down. Bards get a lot of class skills that really don't fit a more fighter type.

Kale78

First Post
The skills I was using for the prestige class I was working on were, perhaps it would work better for Guilt Puppy's class:

Concentration, Craft, Diplomacy, Intimidate.....

any other suggestions for other skills?

Kale78

First Post
This is what I had tossed together........ not sure though if I prefer a prestige class, or Guilt Puppy's core class........

Champion

Hit Die: d10

Requirements:
Base Attack Bonus: +8
Skills: Diplomacy 10 ranks
Feats: Leadership

Class Skills:
Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Intimidate (Cha)

Skill Points at Each Level: 2 + Int Modifier

Level BAB Fort Ref Will Spcl
1 +1 +2 +0 +0 Inspiration I
2 +2 +3 +0 +0
3 +3 +3 +1 +1 Inspiration II
4 +4 +4 +1 +1
5 +5 +4 +1 +1
6 +6 +5 +2 +2 Inspiration III
7 +7 +5 +2 +2
8 +8 +6 +2 +2 Inspiration IV
9 +9 +6 +3 +3
10 +10 +7 +3 +3 Instill Greatness

Inspire can be used a number of times per day equal to 2 + 1/2 level.

Inspire I: All allies within 10 ft. + 5 ft. per point of Charisma of bonus gain a +1 to attack and damge rolls.

Inspire II: All allies within 10 ft. + 5 ft. per point of Charisma bonus gain a +1 on Will saves and an additional +1 to hit and damage.

Inspire III: All allies within 10 ft. + 5 ft. per point of Charisma bonus gain a 8 + Champion’s level in temporary hit points.

Inspire IV: All allies within 10 ft. + 5 ft. per point of Charisma bonus gain a +2 dodge bonus to armor class.

Instill Greatness: All allies within 10 ft. + 5 ft. per point of Charisma bonus gain 2d10 + Champion’s level in temporary hit points, +1 to all attack rolls, and +1 on Fort saves.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads