Alternate Epic Rules - Any published (even non-WOTC)?

Flynn

First Post
I started another thread on this topic a month or so ago, but I don't have the capacity to search for it. There are a few, one in a Sword & Sorcery product "Advanced Player's Guide":
http://www.amazon.com/Advanced-Players-Guide-Sorcery-Studios/dp/1588469611

Unearthed Arcana/Evolved simply take the game up to 25th level and then stop there.

Apparently, Upper_Krust wrote some alternate epic rules some time back, but I don't know what happened to them.

That's about all I got,
Flynn

paradox42

First Post
Flynn said:
Apparently, Upper_Krust wrote some alternate epic rules some time back, but I don't know what happened to them.
If you mean the Immortals Handbook, then he's still writing them. His "core rules" book, Ascension, which contains rules for how to reach divinity (and states beyond), is more or less text-complete but is still mostly without illustrations. He's working on the art now, and presumably when that's all done the book will be released as a PDF- with a print version under Mongoose's Flaming Cobra hopefully soon to follow (they did the print version of the Epic Bestiary).

Wik

First Post
The Advanced Player's Guide, by SSS, has some. From what I remember of 'em, they weren't very good. I did a review of the book, if you want some more information.

EDIT: Checked out my review... turns out I said the nicest things about the Epic progressions. Go fig.

I have a 10-15th level spellbook coming eventually. It's about 1/4 done. Not sure if I'll actually provide advanced classes along with the spellcasting updates to wiz/sor/clr and drd.

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Flynn said:
Unearthed Arcana/Evolved simply take the game up to 25th level and then stop there.

I think you mean Arcana Unearthed, which is Monte Cook's "alternate" PHB. Unearthed Arcana is a WotC book of optional rules which, if I recall correctly, doesn't have any epic rules.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
This is a bit of a deviation, but Distant Horizons Games's d20 point-buy book Eclipse could easily be used to make epic-level characters and threats. Many of the examples given are of epic levels, and it has a wealth of epic-level spells, using an extension of spell levels 0-9 - the new spells here go from 10th-level spells all the way to 24th-level! :eek:

ColonelHardisson said:
I think you mean Arcana Unearthed, which is Monte Cook's "alternate" PHB. Unearthed Arcana is a WotC book of optional rules which, if I recall correctly, doesn't have any epic rules.

Correct. Arcana Evolved (the expanded color version of Arcana Unearthed with new goodies) has different rules for characters level 20-25 than Epic Level Handbook. A brief summary of this:

*BAB and saves continue past +15 and +6/+12
*there are 10th level spells
*the 12 core classes have additional abilities for above 20th level
*numerous "epic" items, ie very costly near-artifact level items, are included in Magic

Remove ads