D&D 5E Alternate Ranger

GlassJaw

Hero
Here's an abbreviated list of my ranger changes:

Deft Explorer
You are an unsurpassed explorer and survivor. Choose one of the following benefits, and then choose another one at 6th, 10th, and 15th level.

Canny
Choose one skill: Animal Handling, Athletics, History, Insight, Investigation, Medicine, Nature, Perception, Stealth, or Survival. You gain proficiency in the chosen skill if you don’t already have it, and you can add double your proficiency bonus to ability checks using that skill.
In addition, thanks to your extensive wandering, you are able to speak, read, and write two languages of your choice.

Expertise
Choose two of your skill proficiencies, or one of your skill proficiencies and your proficiency with cartographer’s tools or the herbalism kit. Your proficiency bonus is doubled for any ability check you make that uses either of the chosen proficiencies.

Natural Explorer
You are a master of navigating the natural world and are adept at traveling and surviving in the wilderness. While traveling for an hour or more, you gain the following benefits:
• Difficult terrain doesn’t slow your group’s travel.
• When traveling, your group has advantage on Wisdom (Survival) checks to avoid becoming lost though nonmagical means.
• Even when you are engaged in another activity while traveling (such as foraging, navigating, or tracking), you remain alert to danger.
• If you are traveling alone, you can move stealthily at a normal pace.
• When you forage, you find twice as much food as you normally would.
• While tracking other creatures, you also learn their exact number, their sizes, and how long ago they passed through the area.

Roving
Your walking speed increases by 5, and you gain a climbing speed and a swimming speed equal to your walking speed.

Tireless
As an action, you can give yourself a number of temporary hit points equal to 1d10 + your proficiency bonus. You can use this special action a number of times equal to your Wisdom modifier (a minimum of once), and you regain all expended uses when you finish a long rest.
In addition, whenever you finish a short rest, your exhaustion level, if any, is decreased by 1.

Favored Prey
At 1st level, determine how you hunt your prey. Choose one of the following options:

Favored Enemy
You have significant experience studying, tracking, hunting, and even talking to a certain type of enemy.

Choose a type of favored enemy: beasts, fey, monstrosities, or undead. Alternatively, you can select two races of humanoid (such as gnolls and orcs) as favored enemies. You gain a +2 bonus to damage rolls with weapon attacks against creatures of the chosen type. Additionally, you have advantage on Wisdom (Survival) checks to track your favored enemies, as well as on Intelligence checks to recall information about them.

When you gain this feature, you also learn one language of your choice, typically one spoken by your favored enemy or creatures associated with it. However, you are free to pick any language you wish to learn.

Whenever you gain a level in this class, you may replace one of your favored enemies (or two humanoids) with another from those available to you.

Favored Foe
You can call on your bond with nature to mark a creature as your favored foe for a time.

You know the hunter’s mark spell, and Wisdom is your spellcasting ability for it. You can use it a number of times equal to your Wisdom modifier (a minimum of once) without expending a spell slot and without requiring concentration. You regain all expended uses when you finish a long rest.

When you gain the Spellcasting feature at 2nd level, you always have the hunter’s mark spell prepared, and it doesn’t count against the number of spells you can prepare each day.

Fighting Style
Per PHB, add styles fro, UA Class Feature Variants

Spellcasting
As druid (remove spells known)

Primal Awareness
Per Class Features Variants UA

Extra Attack
Per PHB

Improved Favored Prey
At 6th level, your favored prey improves, based on your initial choice at 1st level.

Improved Favored Enemy
You are ready to hunt even deadlier game. Choose an additional type of favored enemy: aberrations, celestials, constructs, dragons, elementals, fiends, or giants. Your bonus to damage rolls against all your favored enemies increases to +4. You also gain an associated language or one of your choice.

Additionally, you can use your reaction to gain advantage on a saving throw against a spell or ability used by one of your favored enemies.

Improved Favored Foe
Your hunter’s mark damage die increases to a d8.

Fleet of Foot
Beginning at 8th level, moving through nonmagical difficult terrain costs you no extra movement. In addition, you can use the Dash action as a bonus action on your turn.

Hide in Plain Sight
Starting at 10th level, you can use the Hide action as a bonus action on your turn.

Additionally, if you avoid moving on the turn you use the Hide action, you gain a bonus to the Dexterity (Stealth) check you make to hide equal to your Wisdom modifier. You lose this bonus if you move or fall prone, either voluntarily or because of some external effect. You are still automatically detected if any effect or action causes you to no longer be hidden.

Greater Favored Prey
At 14th level, your favored prey improves again, based on your initial choice at 1st level.

Greater Favored Enemy
Choose an additional type of favored enemy from either list. You also gain an associated language or one of your choice.

Greater Favored Foe
Your hunter’s mark damage die increases to a d10.

Vanish
Starting at 14th level, you can’t be tracked by nonmagical means, unless you choose to leave a trail.

You can use a bonus action to magically become invisible, along with any equipment you are wearing or carrying, until the start of your next turn. Once you use this feature, you can’t use it again until you finish a short or long rest.

Feral Senses
Per PHB

Foe Slayer
Per PHB

How to redesign the Ranger class.

Step one: come up with new exploration rules which make it easy to generate incidents, challenges, dangers, rewards, in other words, stories, on the spot.
Step two: rebuild the Ranger with these rules in mind. The new Ranger should be able to anticipate the kind of dangers generated by the new system, should be able to switch those challenges around (for example switching a skill challenge for a combat challenge) and should reap bigger rewards (treasure, food, allies, shortcuts, information, etc.)
Step three: success.

Arvok

Explorer
I've never had a problem with rangers choosing favored enemies or terrain that don't work well with the campaign. I'm of the mindset that the DM should work with his players when they make choices like this to ensure their choices aren't wasted. If the player says he wants to choose a terrain or enemy that isn't going to figure into the campaign, the DM should suggest something better. If the player goes ahead and chooses poorly, that's on him.

That's not to say that a ranger's choice won't ever be nearly useless, just that these are times the DM has planned so that the ranger (and probably the rest of the party) is a fish out of water.

This idea of working with the players isn't limited to rangers, by the way. If a player wants to build a charismatic rogue who focuses on social interaction and the campaign is going to be a lot of wilderness exploration and dungeon crawling, the DM should give him fair warning.

Peter BOSCO'S

Adventurer
I suggest you eliminate Primeval Awareness. When a Ranger used it in 'The Sunless Citadel' I had to stop the whole game for over ten minutes to frantically read every monster name in the module, look up its type, and write down the noted types. Then the player did absolutely nothing with the knowledge and didn't tell anyone else, so he'd just wasted all our time for nothing.

ECMO3

Hero
So I've heard or read quite a bit about the ranger in 5E complaining that it's underpowered, badly written or that there were otherwise design issues. I took my stab at it. Not saying this is how it should be but IMHO this changes the existing as little as possible and irons out some perceived issues. I haven't touched the sub-classes. I may try that as an alternative way. Perhaps Tasha will have some tailor making ways that will help but I will throw out there for peer review: Enjoy.
I think this thread is over a year old?

That said. Tasha's changed the Ranger quite a bit, boosted the power substantially and the new subclasses are more powerful too. Tahsa's (and XGE) also moved the Ranger further away from wilderness explorer and leaned more into magical nature warrior.

In terms of power Natures Viel, Deft Explorer and Primal Awareness are just better than Hide in Plain Sight, Natural Explorer and Primeval awareness in virtually any build, although they do make the character more "magical" and less "warrior". The new Drudic Warrior fighting style allows for a more spell-focused Ranger as well enabling a better caster build without compromising combat much. Favored Foe is a fair trade for Favored enemy, but is again another option that some builds will find better.

Some still dislike it for thematic reasons, but I think Tasha's did fix the power disparity, opened up a lot of build choices and fixed it as far as most players are concerned.

I think the Ranger went from one of my least-liked classes to probably my favorite class with Tasha's.

Remove ads