Alternate systems suggestions to play in the world of Harn

Crazymajor

Villager
So, I discovered Harn maybe, at most, a year ago, and it has everything I would ever want for my dream fantasy TTRPG universe. Problem is... the system... I have the same complaints with Harnmaster that pretty much everyone else has, it's too dense, unintuitive, and simply too much to deal with let alone the trouble of convincing anyone to try it.

My trouble is finding a replacement. A game that both rests somewhere between 5e and Harnmaster in ease of access and fitting the setting. And, probably the most important one, something that would be appealing to an average TTRPG player.

For as cool as I find something like 'Lion and Dragon', I would find it a hard time presenting it to people and having them be interested.

darjr

I crit!
So, I discovered Harn maybe, at most, a year ago, and it has everything I would ever want for my dream fantasy TTRPG universe. Problem is... the system... I have the same complaints with Harnmaster that pretty much everyone else has, it's too dense, unintuitive, and simply too much to deal with let alone the trouble of convincing anyone to try it.

My trouble is finding a replacement. A game that both rests somewhere between 5e and Harnmaster in ease of access and fitting the setting. And, probably the most important one, something that would be appealing to an average TTRPG player.

For as cool as I find something like 'Lion and Dragon', I would find it a hard time presenting it to people and having them be interested.
I've run it with GURPS but my tastes go much lighter now. Haven't wanted to run or play GURPS as primary for a while now.

I was thinking of using a Traveller hack for fantasy for Harn at one point. Huh I haven't thought of that in a long long time.

Crazymajor

Villager
I've run it with GURPS but my tastes go much lighter now. Haven't wanted to run or play GURPS as primary for a while now.

I was thinking of using a Traveller hack for fantasy for Harn at one point. Huh I haven't thought of that in a long long time.
Theres a traveller hack for fantasy??? If so please, direct me there. Because Traveller is probably one of my top systems.

Voadam

Legend

Voadam

Legend
This was going to be my suggestion as well for Harn, but also my tastes there. I would do the basic GURPS combat system option over the mechanically intense normal GURPS combat system to be closer to D&D levels of rules simplicity.

GURPS does decently for most any genre or setting where the PCs are mostly being 10 hp relatively realistic people. Harn is known for fairly realistic medieval with light fantasy. The two seem a pretty natural conceptual match.

Remove ads