D&D 5E Alternative Foci for Bards and Druids?

rgoodbb

Adventurer
What are some alternative Foci for Bards and Druids mainly, but for anyone else as well really.

Silly ones welcome as well as sensible!

Cheers.

BB

jgsugden

Legend
For bards, under RAW, musical instruments are allowed as Foci, so I'd allow them to use anything they can use to make music. And, as countless Youtube videos show, that is anything. I'd be incredibly permissive here and allow them to play 'drums' on their goblin rogue's head as a foci.

For druids, it would be anything sourced from nature that is special to them. In my campaign world, Druids draw magic along the weave from the Positive and Negative energy planes to create their spells (with no Gods or other beings involved). It is these forces that are the source of all life and death. As such, the most appropriate things are things that are alive, or once were alive, but stone is considered to be the 'skeleton' of the world as is also capable of being a focus for this magic. I'd allow a druid to use anything made of stone or any biological material as a focus.

However, the only odd focus situation I can recall was in a "you start as a prisoner" adventure where a druid used a rare fungus he took from a cave wall as his focus for a few levels.

Weiley31

Legend
For the Bard: a comb so that way he can make his Pompadour look especially stylish looking as he's casting his spells with a charming smile.(damn that 20 CHA.)

For the Druid? Well a Sprig of Mistletole is usually the go-to for Druid Foci, but you can also use any kind of tree or branches from trees that are known for anti-evil properties like Holly and what not.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I had a juggling bard once, his foci were his juggling balls (I suppose you could interpret those as percussion instruments)

A Ships Ensign whose focus is their flag

and I also have a Wind Dancer (Storm Sorcerer) who cast spells via their spinning dance movements

Last edited:

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
As someone who embraces the "any artist can be a bard" concept I've seen a lot of variety in bard foci. It's almost as expansive as Artificer foci at that point.

Oofta

Legend
So many options.

For a bard
  • A fancy hat, preferably with an oversized feather.
  • Tap dance shoes (bonus semi-magical feature: you can tap dance on any surface)
  • A dancing cane
  • Fancy sunglasses for the "too cool" look. Bonus points if worn at night. :cool:
  • Bling. Kind of a catch-all but can be anything from gold chains to a gold tooth to oversized rings.
Druid
  • Mask made of an animal skull, preferably one with antlers or horns
  • Cape or other dress made of animal skin
  • Gloves with claws of some animal, typically bear or big cat
  • Necklace with animal teeth

aco175

Legend
Tuning fork- a la see below.

1609190916838.png

Remove ads