• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Alternatives to Mats?

Dr Lucky

First Post
I'm just wondering if anyone uses something other than vinal mats for gaming. I would really love to find a white board or clear plasic board or mat, just something with a one inch grid. I've seen white boards with grids on office supply websites, but they're all several hundred dollars, so I'm thinking the clear plastic might be the way to go. That could even be overlayed on maps and stuff. Does anyone have any other ideas, or sites where I could buy something like this?

DungeonKeeperUK

First Post
I often use A4 presentation folders, those clear plastic pockets for Arty types to place in their portfolios, they come in differnt sizes and can be written on and wiped off easy enough..
I have been known to use rolls of lining paper, roll it out, draw the map, tear it off, throw it away... :)
And then of course theres the old favourite of Floorplans, while I have one of th eplayers map the area out for themselve in smaller form...

Mr T

Dingleberry

First Post
Around the time 3E came out, I bought a big paper grid from Map Aids at my local gaming store (the famous Games Plus in Elmhurst, IL). It has 1-inch squares on both sides - approximately 20 by 32. It only cost a few bucks, and then only a few bucks more to have it laminated at Kinko's. It works great with both dry and wet erase markers. The only downside is that it doesn't fold or roll up.

Having a second side - which I can have drawn up before the session, then reveal when appropriate - is VERY handy.

Grazzt

Demon Lord
I bought a large dry erase board and using a straight-edge etched lines into the surface using an X-acto knife to make 1" squares. I then colored in these lines with black ink.

Whenever I need to show something or whatever, we just draw on the dry erase board (with dry erase markers of course), wipe it when we are done, and there ya go.

Works well.

Zad

First Post
I was a big fan of mats. But in my current game we're just using a giant pad of paper - the kind that you get for presentations that sit on an easel. You can get 1" grid paper, and the pad will last a very long time. Need a new area? Flip the page. The cost is fairly low, you can use any pens you want, including full color, and there's no mucking about erasing things and getting ink all over yourself.

And as an added bonus, it's VERY easy to flip back to an area you left. (And slightly nostalgic when you flip back to old dungeons.)

Furn_Darkside

First Post
Dr Lucky said:
Wow. That stuff from Deemer Games looks really cool. The huge pad of paper idea really isn't too bad either. Thanks a lot.

Not a problem- if you order from Deemer, please let us know how you like the products.

BTW- have any problems with people constantly trying to kill or save you? :p

FD

smetzger

Explorer
Dr Lucky said:
Wow. That stuff from Deemer Games looks really cool. The huge pad of paper idea really isn't too bad either. Thanks a lot.

I made my own clear stuff for much less than what DeeMer is selling it for. I got some clear plexiglass from Lowes, it came pre-cut in 8"x10" inch squares. I lined it on one side with a thin permanent marker. It works great with my Vis-a-Vis wet erase markers. One thing I really like is that it I can stack them up in my RPG box, that way I just take one box with me when I go gaming. No more forgetting the combat matt.

If your really strapped for cash this is the cheapest way I have found to make a matt. Get a piece of posterboard and draw your squares on it. Then overlay the posterboard with a piece of clear vinyl, which can be bought at most craft stores or sewing stores. The clear vinyl is much cheaper than getting the posterboard laminated. You can use wet erase markers on this.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads