What Part Does the Role Play in the Role-Playing Game?

kenada

Legend
Supporter
When I play an a character in an RPG, I try to do what my character would do. Sometimes I know more or less about that up front (versus finding it out as we play). It’s caused problems in the past, so I try to be mindful now of what play is going to be about by avoiding games that are a poor fit.

Usually, that means playing someone other than myself. We did do a Call of Cthulhu game once where we were supposed to play ourselves. When things started going wrong, and I threatened an innkeeper to get information, I got told I wouldn’t do that. 🙃

But Ido try to make decisions for the character based on what the character would do rather than what I would do. Basic stuff like not metagaming is, to me, an absolute baseline.

This is why I think peak design is finding ways to make the two of these, metagaming and playing to the character (eg roleplaying), identical.

The Tension Pool is still a great example of that. It doesn't matter if the players approach the Pool from either perspective, because how they're engaging it is identical. You're weighing the risks of your actions.

Remove ads